Nationwide Building Society Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nationwide Building Society Chief Executive Joe Garner
Joe Garner

Pros
  • Work life balance is considerably better than at competitors (in 25 reviews)

• Great people, great place to work (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management seen to be scared of senior management (in 17 reviews)

• Head office is based in Swindon (in 11 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Manager in Northampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in Northampton, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great development opportunities so long as you are willing to put the work in. Great culture across the company and unity across
    Sites

Cons

Could be a little more human towards call centre staff, a little more freedom to relax and enjoy what they do

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing but less focus on numbers that have no impact

2. "Inclusive culture and supportive"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Development is central to the culture and people genuinely care about customers. Employees are intelligent and engaged with the needs of the business. People want to do the right thing.

Cons

Hierarchical authority structure and too process driven, across many teams within teams. Fragmentation slows down work and stifles decision making.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to break down community walls

3. "Strong, customer focused culture"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great to work for a company that has a clear direction with the customer at the heart of it - looking to give more autonomy at a local level

Cons

Can be too focused on process which stifles creativity. Difficult to move across departments - unless you know someone to give you the inner view

5. "Caring and Loyal but minimal progression available"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Bournemouth, England (UK)

Pros

Employees are encouraged to live by Pride values and collaboration is genuinely apparent across the society. The caliber of staff at Nationwide is notably higher than other financial services companies. As nationwide is a national but not global company, it feels like you are valued and can be impactful.

Cons

Development and progression is limited. I have encountered many false promises which can be demotivating. It is easy to do over and above and it goes unnoticed

Advice to Management

Recognize and develop your best people, sometimes action and trust are worth more than words and money

"Supportive Collueages but Difficult to Progress"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Employees of Nationwide are generally friendly, intelligent, supportive and engaging individuals. Nothing is perfect (see ‘cons’) but I can say that the office environment has generally been supportive and positive. I've had the opportunity to work with some lovely people and the social aspect of my working life has been good. I can honestly say that I’ve had fun with my colleagues at Nationwide and have enjoyed my time here overall.

Personal development is actively encouraged and is of a good quality, with soft skills training being a focus for me personally. I’ve been lucky to have strong, supportive line managers who wanted to see me succeed and encouraged personal development.

I love Nationwide's attitude on supporting the community and if you want to participate in fundraising events this is supported by management. I’ve both participated and organised fundraising events and count these experiences as some of the highlights of my time at Nationwide.

Cons

I truly believe that to progress your career in Nationwide, your face must fit. I was saddened to find that despite Nationwide promoting an inclusive culture, underneath it is no different to any other financial institution when it comes to promoting its people. I have struggled to progress my career despite being competent in my role, and making it a priority to address my areas of development in a proactive, positive way.

I appreciate that these types of statements are difficult to prove without detailing personal experiences and confidential information, which I will not do. It also appears as though I am giving mixed messages in my praise of my Line Managers and colleagues, but they were not the decision makers when applying for progression roles in my division.

I must stress that Nationwide is not a bad place to work, far from it. All I would ask is that potential employees keep my comments in mind and remember that, even if you struggle like I have, it doesn’t mean that you are incompetent and not deserving of a future in your chosen field.

Advice to Management

Until the issues with career progression are put under the spotlight, I cannot recommend that anyone works for Nationwide.

The interview process needs to be urgently reviewed as 'competency based' interviews are a verbal exam. I don't believe this approach accurately assesses a candidate’s true ability to take on the role. It can also result in a candidate fabricating their answers to score enough points to secure the role.

"Great people, good employer but make sure you're seen as one of them"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Pros

Great people
    Very good benefits as an employer
    You're unlikely to work in a place where you'll see so many who buy into the company - there's a very unusual level of loyalty to the company which is a real positive on one hand.

Cons

The nationwide way - smile and salute the the PRIDE flag and you'll fit in - if you're coming in from the outside be wary of your approach

Strict adherence to hierarchy drags down innovation - many appear to enjoy their titles and grade if they have been in the company for a long time and aren't looking for new ways of working that might rock the boat

Excessive collaboration - the need for continual committee discussion slows everything doen considerably.

8. "Intelligence Analyst"

Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Customer Focused, Open Minded,

Cons

Management un involved at lower levels of the company.

Advice to Management

Talk more to the people who actually do the job you are making the decision about.

"6 Month Job Review"

Current Employee - Customer Representative in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Representative in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, career progression is pretty easy, pay is good and the travel allowance (London) helps a lot.

Cons

It's very sales-orientated whether they want to admit it or not, constantly putting pressure on Customer Reps to talk to customers about the products.

If you are going to apply for Nationwide especially in a customer-facing role, confidence and personality is key. Sales experience would help. They don't give targets but we do have monthly meetings with the Branch Manager to discuss how many appointments you have booked. Also, if there is a lack of appointment booking for Home Insurance or Investments, expect e-mails to find out why which is bewildering to me. There's only so much conversation you can have with a customer in the few minutes you have with them.

Advice to Management

I don't think "having conversation" is enough to encourage a customer to take out Home Insurance or a Current Account but it's clear that competitors are offering better as well. How is that our fault? Only because we are not booking "enough appointments", it doesn't mean we are not doing our jobs.

"Nationwide/TMW underwriting"

Current Employee - Senior Risk Underwriter in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Risk Underwriter in Bournemouth, England (UK)

Pros

Fantastic customercentric firm offering genuine value to it's members. We pride ourselves on taking a common sense approach to lending within risk appetite.

Cons

Very few and nothing that can't be overcome through the businesses development programmes. The firm invests in you but you own your development at Nationwide.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do well. Be cautious about new "gimmicks" and be aware of horizon risk. Listen to the business, both risk and reward.

"Blame culture is rife - not a good place to work if you care about what you do"

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary is ok, but really not worth the grief you have to accept to earn it.

Cons

I have worked in the financial and technology industry my entire career (20 years+) and have never experienced such a disorganised, inefficient, risky way of working. On top of this, the bullying and blame culture is beyond belief - I have witnessed behaviours that have led to individuals not being able to perform, taking lengthy periods of absence and even resigning with no other job to go to, just to get away from the awful 'deliver at all costs' culture at Nationwide.
    For an organisation that shouts about the way it values its people, this stinks - it is up to you whether you believe this, but if you care about what you do and how you do it, do yourself a favour and look elsewhere - you'll be better for it.