Nationwide Children's Hospital Reviews in Columbus, OH | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nationwide Children's Hospital CEO Steven Allen
Steven Allen

Pros
Cons
  • time off policies, no maternity leave (in 8 reviews)

• The saying "everything matters" is not true, the company does not pay attention to work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

1. "Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Nationwide Children's Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful facility, strong values and mission.

Cons

In the middle of landlocked, flat, Ohio.

2. "Nationwide Children's Hospital"

Current Employee - Laboratory Supervisor in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Laboratory Supervisor in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Nationwide Children's Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work! Nationwide Children's Hospital really cares about the patients and their families.

Cons

Retirement plan is not very good.

Advice to Management

The employer match for the retirement plan is not enough. You could match employees differently based upon years of service. For example, employees with 25 years of service match their contributions at 100% (instead of 50%)

"Good!"

Current Employee - Patient Care Assistant in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Patient Care Assistant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Nationwide Children's Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Organization. Almost all staff are highly skilled, creative, and collaborative.

Cons

There can be problems with management trying to remain too positive and maintaining a perception of "Everything is awesome!" Without addressing personnel problems.

5. "This is my second home and I love being a part of an organisation that puts children first."

Current Employee - Nutrition in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Nutrition in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Nationwide Children's Hospital part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The patients, the staff, the environment, the culture, the diversity, the friendliness, the realness, the atmosphere, the ability to grow and flourish in the hospital and branch out to other departments and areas.

Cons

The repetitiveness, not a vast selection of food, ideas are not always taken into consideration, and all they have are diet drinks.

Advice to Management

Give more opportunities to employees.

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Emt B in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Emt B in Columbus, OH

Pros

Build your own schedule, lots of available overtime, three twelve hour shifts per week, wonderful benefits, compassionate staff, great pay.

Cons

Managment micro manages, some staff belittle other staff of lower education jobs, long twelve hour shifts. New staff sometimes get shorted of training before being out of orientation.

7. "Excellent culture, poor benefits."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Nationwide Children's Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a very exciting place to work. The culture is amazing and you're motivated to work hard for a "purpose". There is no doubt that patients and families are top priority and it makes you feel good about coming to work everyday. You are proud to tell people where you work.

Cons

The benefits are lacking because of the amazing culture you get from being part of a pediatric hospital. The pay is lower in comparison, it takes a long time to build up vacation time, insurance/etc. are expensive.

Advice to Management

Provide more benefits for you employees.

"Great Hospital but varying Cultures."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Nationwide Children's Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Clinical staff there to take care of kids not pay which leads to good culture in some ways. Decent benefits. Decent job security.

Cons

Culture is like sorority in some departments. HR not equipped to help staff even if they know issues with management exist and administration seeks independent investigations after multiple strong staff leave department or hospital. I chose to seek a better opportunity outside after seeing how corrupt my director could be. I was a strong employee for years with above average reviews. She retaliated by trying to ruin my reputation and cost me PTO which HR caught her on and over rode. Some times in life it's just better to remove your self than get in the mud. I watched her do this with at least 4 others and it's quite sad that is a face of such a great hospital. I literally sat through one on ones hearing her bash multiple staff and physicians. That's when I decided to respond to recruiter outside as I knew she would bash me if I tried to transfer.

Advice to Management

Get HR employee relations staff who truly are there for employees and are able to help when bad situations arise.

Ensure promotions are based on merit and not politics with bullying of staff who review them. I interviewed people and was clearly pushed into my recommendations or not give paper work to write so as it was predetermined. Then I was shut down as their superior when they began failing putting the hospital at great risk.

9. "parking sucks"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Nationwide Children's Hospital (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits with the hospital and great community

Cons

The parking situation is ridiculous. You have to park 10 minutes away from the hospital and commute. These hours are unpaid.

Advice to Management

build a few parking garages.

10. "Depends on team and area"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Nationwide Children's Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great hospital, recognized for innovation, growth, strategic vision, mission driven...We are here for the children!! My experience has been from difficult to great, highly team dependent. I've hung in there enough to make observations and contribute to change. There's always more to do! Overall awesome place to work and the longest employer I've ever worked for.

Cons

Research and hospital are two very different cultures. Research employees need more integration and support from hospital to ensure hospital values integrated with Research Management. Most research is grant driven and that drives a different sub-culture that can work contrary to hospital values. There is not a bridge between Research and Clinical. Lots of talent lost bc lack of understanding on how to maximize potential of innovative research talent with healthcare opportunities. Lower pay drives tenured employees out for growth opportunities and compensation. NCH will not pay for advanced degrees unless earned before becoming an employee. Be prepare to look for another job if advanced degree earned, unless you are a nurse. NCH looses great talent bc salary is not competitive. It's easier to leave, advance education and gain more experience then return for increased earnings. This leads to a void for organization. On the business side of Research, grants management is the backbone and the culture leads to high turnover, resistant collaboration and poorly trained staff that creates a negative ripple effect throughout projects.

Advice to Management

1)Training and retention program for research grants management dept forged by collaborative input from projects supported by this team, management meetings, management review criteria/salary dependent upon turnover rates, training by partnering with employee development. 2)build a bridge between Research and hospital with service line or other opportunities (quality, process improvement...) to work collaboratively to drive healthcare outcomes, retain talent, reward loyalty 3)set aside funds to incentivize advanced degrees, innovation and team science bt clinical and investigative talent to drive best outcomes. Find navigators willing to bridge the gap and forge these opportunities to enhance the culture at NCH.

Oh yeh, creating just one shuttle stop along the back of Research bldg 1/2 would mean a lot to research employee culture. Sometimes there is a shuttle to OSU(may have stopped). But remembering your NCH employees that work in research with a bus stop says We Matter Too. It's a simple way to show care.

"Lacks Professional Succession Planning"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

The organizational executive leadership has a wonderful attitude towards quality outcomes and innovation.

Cons

Department level managers are unopened to doing things other than their way and tend to have a chip on their shoulder.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff who are actually doing the job, coach them to understand better rather than just say this is how we are doing it, and encourage staff to grow professionally through NCH offered education as well as in promotion opportunities.