Nationwide Reviews in Dublin, OH | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nationwide CEO & Director Steve Rasmussen
Steve Rasmussen

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance - may have to put in more hours if you want to grow within company (in 56 reviews)

• This is probably more of a concern for those hoping to get into upper management or executive jobs (in 47 reviews)

"Claims Customer Service Rep I (CSR I)"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Dublin, OH

I worked at Nationwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nationwide is an amazing company to work for and there are a ton of great managers and employees. Everyone is very supportive from the beginning and you undergo an extensive amount of training to make sure you are prepared for your job. The culture and environment are the best part about working for Nationwide.

Cons

The call center environment just was not for me. I came in at a time when managers where changing quite a lot and communication was not the best on updates to policies. I feel this is normally not the case, though.

2. "Total Loss Claims Adjuster"

Current Employee - Total Loss Claims Adjuster in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Total Loss Claims Adjuster in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My boss is awesome and makes coming to work easier

Cons

Dealing with customers on the phone is awful, they are short staffed and need to hire more people to make the work load easier.

3. "IT"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Dublin, OH
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Nationwide as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning opportunities and also pick ing up side projects is always available for interns interested in techncial experience

Cons

Outdated use of technology like Java and V b. The location is far off. Client is business abd not tech

Advice to Management

Doing goodkeep up the good work and spurred the business and will be moving ahead in time

5. "Love it here"

Current Employee - MCR in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - MCR in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It feels like family, can't even tell its so large.

Cons

I can't really think of any cons, they really are all over it.

6. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Business Relationship Manager in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Business Relationship Manager in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent medical benefits along with other site amenities. Engagement is very important to the company. Development at all levels is highly encouraged.

Cons

Depending on where you start, it can feel like you are in a silo and being tailored for one specific career path. It takes more effort on your part to branch out and find other opportunities within the company.

Advice to Management

Continue putting associates first, investing in us with the benefits you provide, continue creating an environment open to coaching and development.

"Total Loss Adjuster"

Current Employee - Total Loss Claims Specialist I in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Total Loss Claims Specialist I in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay, there is no other pro to this position. I will never work in claims again

Cons

The expected amount of overtime, the general workload given is about twice the manageable amount, there is no emphasis on continuous improvement and regular employees are not encouraged to submit process improvement ideas, though the department desperately needs it, the job itself is very stressful as people frequently do not like the value of their vehicle and will take it out on the adjuster

Advice to Management

Seek feedback from existing employees and hire at least 100 more adjusters. The department is bleeding out faster than new adjusters can be trained

8. "Business Consulting Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst, Business Consultant in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Analyst, Business Consultant in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Nationwide full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule, and decent benefits

Cons

not as competitive salary and management doesn't give a clear view of future

Advice to Management

give a more competitive salary

9. "Salary"

Former Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Dublin, OH

Pros

Great company with awesome moral. The pay is low to industry standard for an internal wholesaler but also don't have the stress as you do with other companies

Cons

Glass ceiling when it comes to pay

10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture is undeniably affected by the historical roots of the company when it started as a small insurer to farmers. It is a somewhat laid back atmosphere but focused on doing what's best for the company and the members (customers).

Cons

The laid back culture comes at a price and in the form of smaller salaries compared to other companies.

"If You're Looking to Commit Suicide, This Company is for You"

Former Employee - Senior Licensing Technician in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Licensing Technician in Dublin, OH

I worked at Nationwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can buy discounted tickets to going-ons around town (Clippers, Crew, Magic Mountain, Movies, etc). You get a bonus in February, although it's mere shillings--usually 1-2% of your salary which would be in the $3-400 range for me. You get 18 days of sick leave/vacation time. Company matches up to 6% for 401k. Tuition reimbursement up to $5250/year.

Cons

Health benefits are extremely expensive and costs thereafter are outrageous. My copays were $40 for office visits. To give you an idea, I took a $5K pay cut to get away from NW and because the benefits with my new employer are so awesome, my first pay check was actually $7 more than my NW paycheck.

Management is the Licensing Department is extremely hostile. Going to HR only makes things worse. Ethics is non existent. Sexual orientation and race are hugs issues. If you're black you can't hide it, but if you're gay STAY IN THE CLOSET! Managers offer no real training or feedback but when reviews for bonuses and pay increases arrive, they blatantly make up stories. You will be written up for occurrences that never occurred, and even if you have proof, it won't matter. HR will always be biased and back up management. Engagement is horrible. You're lucky if you get a pay increase after 5 years. The managers (one of which doesn't even have a college degree) are ruthless and militant! They have no compassion. After a lady who had been with the company went blind from diabetes, she regained her sight, only to be targeted and subsequently fired after 17 years with the company. Our team was in tears!

If you don't bow down and brown nose like your life depends on it, these people will try to break you and make your life a living hell. They spread rumors, job block(blacklist you), hit you with false write ups--THE WORKS! Beware! In my time with the company I saw more turnover than Arby's. Pun, but not a joke. I lost weight, my hair fell out and I broke out in hives from the malicious work environment. The ex-military director once called an employee "poisonous to the company," and on another occasion "waisted potential." Talking to employees this way in unacceptable. There were so many temps because no one would stay there long enough to make it to full-time. Last summer when a girl did make it to full-time, she quit within a month of being promoted. Another temp declined a full-time position and opted to go temp elsewhere to get away from NW. Don't work here. You've been warned!

Advice to Management

Take sensitivity training. Get a degree in business management or at least a college degree from community college would be nice--homegrown is not always good business practice. Be compassionate. Be realistic. Listen to employee complaints. Don't be sexist. Don't be racist. Don't force what you feel is a "proper family" on everyone else. Seems like the only way to succeed in this job is to be married with children and have no education. Be fair with incentives and promotions. Do not retaliate against your employees since their engagement is crucial to the department's success. I really could go on for days. Hopefully some of the other people who worked there will be brave enough to comment on this horrible employer.

Showing 27 of 1,811 reviews