Nationwide Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nationwide Financial CEO Steve S. Rasmussen
Steve S. Rasmussen

Pros
Cons
  • Salary is little low compared to industry and it is hard to break the barrier to move into senior management roles (in 3 reviews)

• Difficult to move around to me, each department is like and isolated group of people (in 3 reviews)

1. "Walk away."

Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Dublin, OH

I worked at Nationwide Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will receive a bonus.

Cons

You are treated like a toddler, you are forced to take tests to move on or to receive a promotion and being treated equally is not or ever going to happen. Please be aware if you are 10 seconds over you lunch break because of having to use the restroom, you are in trouble. If you do not take the Series 6, you are shunned. And lastly, if you do not take as many calls as you physically can, you get deducted from the "score card". Trust me, its a prison.

Advice to Management

Remember, we are college graduates, we see and hear everything. Everyone should be treated equal and please do not keep forcing recent college graduates to feel like they have to take a test to succeed.

2. "Run away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Nationwide Financial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They pay you but it's never enough

Cons

Too many buildings 70s furniture for some while others get new things. Favoritism is rampant. If you don't fall in with the cool kids be prepared to be harassed

Advice to Management

Do your jobs and stop making us do your dirty work. Stop favoriting people

"Operations Business Consultant"

Former Employee - Specialist, Business Consulting in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Specialist, Business Consulting in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Nationwide Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard to say when only in one department but most Sr. Execs were pleasant and seemed to have an open door policy.

Cons

Extremely poor leadership. Privileges and jobs given based on friendships over qualifications. Directors speak negatively about their employees and their own leader to their own direct reports. Inability to articulate a clear vision. Escalation of serious concerns about management practices are ignored and swept under the rug without proper follow up. Racial comments swept under the rug. Dirty politics. Poor use of talent. Director curses and screams at staff with no recourse. Continuously declining employee engagement results with no plan to improve them.

Advice to Management

Simple.. Hold managers accountable. Ensure fair treatment. Align your talent better and articulate a clear vision

"Underwriting assistant"

I worked at Nationwide Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good perks, good flexibility

Cons

Gossip city 101. Management stinks

Advice to Management

They need to step up to the play. Need to actually hire people. Who can do their job

5. "Operations"

Former Employee - CL Processor II in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - CL Processor II in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Nationwide Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice benefits, accrued time off from the firs week. A lot of Good people there. On sight cafeteria, covered parking.

Cons

Work load was Insane. Production standards outdated! Felt like working in a Sweat Shop! Bad training. Management would not listen to any requests. Need new management and treat people like people not machines!

Advice to Management

Get new management who cares!

"Welcome Back 1985 IT!!"

Current Employee - IT Software in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - IT Software in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Nationwide Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can do very little work in IT and get a descent salary with good benefits. Work life balance is an understatement. This is the company you want to retire from (but don't lose your job because your skills will be outdated).

Cons

In IT, they use a horrid SDLC approach that comes from Nationwide in Columbus. It's IBM classic which they've turned into their own flavor of SDLC (with flavors of large corp agile) that quite simply doesn't work. This approach serves as the crutch by which all projects are executed and fail. The technologies are very old much like the workforce. Not the place to work if you want interesting, challenging, energetic, and cutting edge work.

Advice to Management

I don't know what to say here. I would like to see Nationwide bring in IT consulting to clean house from the top down (but that goes even more so for Nationwide IT)

"Dissapointing experience, would not recommend"

Former Employee - Senior Claim Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Claim Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Nationwide Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and knowledgeable resource personnel to provide technical assistance on complex claims in various states.

Cons

Unreasonable workloads, nitpicking to nth degree on file audits, maximum 2 percent raises no matter how well work is completed, chronic employee turnover problems that create extra work for those left behind and indifferent mentality of managers.

8. "Contractors beware."

Former Contractor - Developer, IT Applications in Columbus, OH
    Former Contractor - Developer, IT Applications in Columbus, OH

I worked at Nationwide Financial as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for sponsorship & don't mind 50+ hours a week then this job is for you. Or if you never worked in IT before it's a great place to get training although you will be required to make up that time.

Cons

OT mandatory & on-call required for developers. No added pay or benefit. Just my experience and observation.

Advice to Management

Stop abusing the sponsored employee and comparing their no other choice work ethic to those of us that know what you are up to.

"Politics Over Performance"

Former Employee - Regional Internal Consultant in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Regional Internal Consultant in Columbus, OH

I worked at Nationwide Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They sponsored me for my Series 6

Cons

Hard work is not valued at this company. Results are not a basis for promotion. Neither is product or industry knowledge. If you'd like to move up, practice your political skills and don't rock the boat. Nothing should ever be questioned.

Advice to Management

Create a culture that values creativity, hard work, passion, and dedication instead of one focused on playing perfectly in the sandbox.

"Incompetent Management Forced a VERY Talented Employee Out the Door"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Nice Facility/Location
    Benefits/overall package
    Decent Culture
    Good Perks
    Learning Resources

Cons

HR - they need to clean house or outsource
    HR - leadership is a nightmare
    HR - my issues were COMPLETELY mishandled

In otherwords, I left SIC because of HR!

Advice to Management

Your HR team is a joke! This is known throughout the company...with or without Nationwide in the middle. You have lost some VERY talented people, how unfortunate. There are some really inferior employees who you should start managing ASAP. Stop favoring certain divisions within the company. Outsource HR and Recruiting...the inhouse function is hideous.