Nationwide Reviews | Glassdoor

Nationwide CEO & Director Steve Rasmussen
Steve Rasmussen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • If you are single that's ok but if you have a family you won't have much work life balance (in 63 reviews)

• Upper management changing a lot of things without reviewing or explaining the benefits of changes (in 57 reviews)

1. "C-Suite - should be called the D-Suite"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Columbus, OH

I worked at Nationwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work life balance is OK

Cons

C-suite staff is all talk and has no action; examine your failed IT system deployments and corporate continuous improvement initiatives without any real validated benefits. Its just a matter of time of more people be hurt and being put out of work.

Advice to Management

Roll up the sleeves and put down the PowerPoint talking points. The quarterly communication of "strategy" and "priorities" over the past 4 years (without business or financial results) is not meeting the needs of your audience and its members.

2. "Management is out-of-touch"

Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Nationwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of any pros.

Cons

Workload, poor executives and management. No on on the same page in claims.

Advice to Management

Make workloads reasonable. Put in place better Execs and managers. Get some unifority and how things are done.

"Started out great, ended being the worst job I ever had."

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Columbus, OH

I worked at Nationwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are genuine people in the company that really do care about their customers and what they are doing. The ‘core’ of the company which is helping other people is honest and sincere. I have been in elevators with multiple CEOs taking about how even though they had to pay out for storm damage that is what they were there for.

Great flextime. Come in when you want as long as the work gets done. Need to make up hours, just do so on the weekend. Sick family member, just go take care of them don't worry about it.

You can work with really amazing people and make great friends.

Facilities are top-notch for a downtown building(s) (minus Agile spaces.)

If they do decide to laid you off they give a generous severance and time to find a new job.

Cons

When I started five years ago I was the ‘rock-star’ on the team. I transferred to a new team and everything fell apart after that.

You have way too many individuals in managing positions who do not understand the work that their subordinates do, or that are not properly equipped for the task given to them. I have seen several times groups thrown into specific roles with little or no training to maintain the responsibilities given to them.

Lean processes are used to remove individuals who speak up against being treated poorly. Don’t like that we remove your wastebaskets, we just ‘lean’ you out. Don't like the standing desks and 'standing' well you're too close minded so we'll just reorg your department without you in it.

New buildings are all crowded little cubicles with no walls and no privacy. You have no privacy, none! People will be screaming and laughing loudly when you’re trying to get work done. When you complain managers will tell you to find a meeting room or put on headphones instead of correcting the bad behavior. Too much trying to be like Facebook/Google in the IT space without consideration for those with disabilities.

The IT agile methodology does not work and is the downfall of creativity in American society. The constant so-called modernization of the modern office does nothing more to delight the millennial to believe they are being paid more than they actually are, and isolate everyone from Generation X up. No one who actually wants to accomplish something at work enjoys these environments. Most of the day is the younger group standing around getting nothing done while the adults actually are trying to work and getting headaches.

Nationwide does nothing to correct or remove employees who have inappropriate or bad behaviors. Someone is allowed to be a complete jerk to you and their supervisors will even support them. Marketing and IT will literally fight over processes to remove employees they don't like. If you don't play the nice game and 'suck-it-up' Nationwide will not be on your side.

Office of Associate relations and HR are completely incapable to take care of and assist employees. I attempted numerous times to find a new role within Nationwide and all I received was automated responses. When I finally did receive feedback, it was another case of a manager not knowing the technology or the business need.

Nationwide’s Health Benefits plan are extremely disappointing. You are forced to give up your vitals otherwise they will deduct money from your paycheck.

Too much process in the wrong areas and not enough trust for qualified employees to do their job, and then over-compensating for employees or are inadequate. A lot of unqualified people get promoted because they can 'walk the walk, talk the talk.'

Don’t have a standard family (wife and kids) or belong to a minority group (woman,gay etc..) you won’t fit in. Single people over 40 are also in the firing range for being fired.

As typical with most businesses they hire a lot of contractors from external countries who do not know what they're doing. They stay for a while make money to send back to their parents and then leave at the critical time of the project.

A lot of talk of transparency and speaking up, but when you actually do you get criticized.

Advice to Management

You have no clue what you are doing and this company needs true leadership. Unfortunately you remove everyone who does understand what to do so you get what you deserve. I suspect Columbus will be like Detroit in 10 years.

"Non-Injury Claims Adjuster"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Lone Tree, CO

I worked at Nationwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good starting pay, gym onsite, convenient lightrail access.

Cons

Overwhelming work-load, inefficient "leadership/mentors", lack of support, policies that lead to unsatisfied and unfairly treated employees/customers, work environment is completely miserable. Co-workers are completely miserable. Supervisors, spec II's and mentors are entirely overrated. Company cannot be doing the thorough background check they claim to do - coworkers came to work intoxicated and talked about getting high throughout shift not caring who was within ear-shot.

Advice to Management

Do not ignore employees when they advise that they are completely overwhelmed and then try to reach out when it is beyond TOO LATE - do not slowly feed employees information as you see fit. Provided adequate training and support do not allow claims adjusters that have no idea how to train or any time to sign up to be mentors.

"CAT team. 12 hours per day, 6 days per week. No end or relief in sight."

Current Employee - CAT Claims in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - CAT Claims in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and the leaders are kind and approachable. Pay (except for CAT pay) is fair. Not as up tight and political as other insurance companies to work for. It feels like a second home.

Cons

I am on the CAT team and now I have no life. Because it is office CAT they pay half the amount the field people get plus I have a 2 hour commute each day on top of the 12 hour days and 6 day weeks. Huge strain on my marriage. I am exausted all of the time and the expectations are ridiculous. I am not happy here and will be looking elsewhere for reasonable hours and expectations.

Advice to Management

Working CAT in an office environment is much harder than being in the field. 10 hours is the max people are able to sit in front of a computer. In the field, people dont have to commute and get to move around and drive. CAT pay is too low for giving up your waking life. The Best Claims Practices are not reasonable with the volume given and too much is asked of people in general. Great leaders who want to do the right thing but have their hands bound by unreasonable expectations given the staffing on hand.

6. "Not fun"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harleysville, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harleysville, PA

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big Name can be good for resume

Cons

Bad place to work, you are overworked

Advice to Management

Bad place to work at

7. "SIU"

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-Workers and front line manager(s) make the job bearable. Pay is good. Job is interesting and challenging. Benefits are decent.

Cons

It is evident that Upper Management is working diligently to get rid of Field SIU and go to Desk Investigators. Since the sale of the Non-Standard companies, Executive Management believes that there is no more Insurance Fraud going on. Make sure your resume is up to date.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter what anyone has to say. The Front Line managers aren't the problem. Upper Management is the problem and only care about themselves and their bonuses.

8. "Claims adjuster"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster

I worked at Nationwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can’t think of many pros besides I️ was glad to get my foot in the door of claims but I️ do have many cons

Cons

I️ would not recommend Nationwide to anyone. This place is very poorly managed. There are 5 managers and it’s understandable that each manager has there own styles but with my manager, she was very unsupportive and didn’t help me grow, she consistently picked out my flaws and I️ would get in trouble for things I️ didn’t know rather than being properly trained.

Advice to Management

Train managers to properly manage staff. Make the environment about learning and encouraging employees that the sky is the limit. Get rid of managers who have consistent complaints against them and place managers that have the proper skills.

9. "Nationwide is not on yourside"

I have been working at Nationwide full-time

Pros

Paycheck that is it and direct co workers

Cons

Do not really care about their insureds only money

"Claims Adjuster"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Nationwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can't think of anything good.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations. Keep you as an hourly for over a year and keep getting upset about overtime. Don't make the mistake of going to HR. Unfair to employees. Lots of discrimination. No encouragement. If they don't want you to succeed so they can fire people, they will make SURE you don't succeed. Worst job I've ever had. Pay you very little. If you're not full time, you're expected to do the same amount of work with no overtime.

Advice to Management

Claims adjusters should never be hourly. Do not restrict their time if you want them to complete their work. You can't expect them to finish the ridiculous work load you put on them and leave on time. You CANNOT keep someone over a year and not make them a salaried employee. You are setting them up for failure.

Showing 153 of 2,219 reviews