Natural England Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Natural England CEO Dave Webster
Dave Webster

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Package, box production and TPM supervisor."

Former Employee - Package Supervisor in Willcox, AZ
    Former Employee - Package Supervisor in Willcox, AZ

I worked at Natural England full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonus yearly payment, health and life insurance and produce benefit for employees.

Cons

Did not pay bonus, Company location, monthly payment system and extended job hours.

Advice to Management

In this level of administration requires scholarship people, but in this case they did not. This limited our professional development.

2. "CSFO"

I have been working at Natural England full-time

Pros

Interesting work with variety and for a good cause. Good flexible working practices.

Cons

Public sector pay stagnation limits financial progression.

3. "Every day is different"

I have been working at Natural England full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is not your boring 9-5 job. The work is very interesting and there is a great team spirt. You learn about the environment and the difficulties our British farmers face. Flexi hours, good training with someone always on hand to help.

Cons

Countryside Stewardship is a new scheme, sometimes it can take longer then expected to have a question answered.

4. "Excellent Flexible working arrangements but constantly changing structures and goal posts"

I have been working at Natural England full-time

Pros

I can fit this role around my family and the ability to work from home is wonderful. I have some really interesting work areas in a beautiful part of the country and I have met some wonderful people.

Cons

The structure of the organisation changes constantly. The pressure to get the large pile of work completed can sometimes reach unsustainable levels. Much of the work is very mundane. Different managers have very different views as to how the team should be run, some are more against home working than others and I have felt pressure before to change my working from home contract and work from the office (an hours drive away) which would not work for me. Pay is really poor.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your staff need and work on keeping them happy at the same time as the customers. A happy team means the work gets completed efficiently.

5. "Lovely colleagues"

I have been working at Natural England full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff, have made some good friends, flexitime, relaxed environment

Cons

Difficult work for little pay

6. "Hell would be more enjoyable"

I worked at Natural England full-time

Pros

Working at Natural England makes other jobs seem like a dream job

Cons

Have you ever seen the movie The Office? I think the movie was based on working at Natural England.

"Amateur and bullying management"

Former Employee - Technical Advisor in Worcester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Technical Advisor in Worcester, England (UK)

I worked at Natural England full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Other suppressed workers to share experience with

Cons

Illegal practices of paying everyone a different wage for same job. Illegal practices of laying people off before they have to pay Swedish derogation rates. Illegal practices of making agency sign to opt out of equal pay after 12 weeks. Amateur and bullying management with empty smiles on their faces, sacking people for being ill and wanting to.move away from a damp wall. Management constantly report people behind their backs. A disgrace to what Natural England should be.

Advice to Management

All of you leave and get some out-of-towners in to show you how it's done.

"Horrible place to work"

I have been working at Natural England full-time

Pros

Would be the people you work with but everyone's that down it makes it a horrible atmosphere

Cons

Hardly any training for a very complex job, definitely a number and very much made to feel like it, managers do not care about anything apart from their own career.

Advice to Management

surely the top dogs must see the unbelievably high turn over of staff going in and out of NE , I would of thought alarm bells would start going!

9. "Voluntary redundancy schemes are regularly offered and always over subscribed."

I worked at Natural England full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Too late for pros the good times ended with austerity, decreasing real terms pay and increased workloads for those left in a constantly shrinking organisation.
    Lots of isolated working alone opportunities if you prefer to avoid mundane stale pale colleagues!

Cons

Little hope of improvement in the next few years regarding pay, excessive workloads, stress, sedentary unhealthy work and worst of all insanely complex box ticking paperwork hellish schemes.
    Pension scheme regularly being changed to the detriment of the employee.
    Repetitive computer desk based work.
    The interesting and capable staff levas via voluntary redundancy leaving less able folks to malinger as career civil servants.
    Zero perks. The christmas meal is on you.

Advice to Management

Good luck preventing the loss of wildlife habitat and species decline in a country that needs to build 300 000 houses a year to keep up with population increase.

10. "No chance for progression on a FTA"

I have been working at Natural England full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexi-time and lots of opportunity for training

Cons

Had 2 contracts as an FTA. 2nd appointment I was doing the same work as previous role but at a lower pay band. Also doing same work as those around me at high pay bands. Team predominately made up of temporary staff so manager could not plan pass end of our appointments, giving the team uncertainty. Extension given the day before leaving but already found another job. Tasks given mundane and mind numbing. Currently low staff morale due to recent changes in the structure of the organisation and uncertainty. Managers rarely around, many WAH/part-time, so are hard to get hold of.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are around for employees to talk to. Make role profiles clearer so individuals understand what they are responsible for. Make sure meetings have a clear purpose and not dragged out for the sake of it!!!