Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Kemper Isely

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employee discount is great along with extra money every paycheck for them (in 36 reviews)

• For a retail store they offer great benefits and holidays off and advancement from within (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • The home office is not big enough or adequately staffed for how many stores they have (in 55 reviews)

• I've seen many brand new store managers leave very soon after taking the position (in 36 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company! Great Benefits!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employee discount is great along with extra money every paycheck for them. Flexible scheduling. Great coworkers and paid holidays. Nice raises and bonuses.

Cons

Due to the great work environment sometimes employees who do not earn their keep stay longer than they should.

Advice to Management

Be consistent.

Nov 9, 2017 – Talent/Social Media Coordinator

Glad you have had such a positive experience at Natural Grocers! We appreciate all of our team members and are proud to offer some industry leading perks like Vitamin Bucks and closing our doors on... More

2. "Good company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company offers employee discounts and training. For a retail store they offer great benefits and holidays off and advancement from within.

Cons

Depending on the store management it can be a great place to work or a stressful place to work.

Advice to Management

Human resources needs to hold store managers to a higher standard and not just ignore poor managers because the numbers look good. A bad manager will run off great employees and make the store a horrible place to work.

Nov 16, 2017 – Talent/Social Media Coordinator

3. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great concept, High quality standards, unique services like staff NHC, competitive or price leader position on great items in every category, excellent benefits, competitive pay, relatively short hours for retail store management positions, still family owned, community friendly, environmentally aware and sensitive, generally friendly employees delivering some of the best customer service in the retail grocery/supplement sector.

Cons

Somewhat cumbersome inventory control and ordering system. Due to high standards, very limited supplier sources in some categories. High turn over in management personnel. Small store staffs and very needy client base can be stressful and hard work ethic and determination is needed to succeed and survive here and few there be that have that. It will test just how good you claim to be. The natural foods/alternative industry attracts a lot of kooks and unicorns, where "feel good" trumps the pursuit of excellence as the primary value.

Nov 15, 2017 – Talent/Social Media Coordinator

Glad to hear you're having a positive experience. Empowering the community through nutrition education and providing shelf space for natural products at an affordable price is our passion! We... More

4. "..."

Pros

Laid back, lots of discounts, and a great team.

Cons

Only 1 cashier per shift

Nov 9, 2017 – Talent/Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for taking time to give your feedback. We appreciate your thoughts and will continue to grow with the best interest of our Good4u crew in mind.

"Glad It’s Over"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros were the healthy food! You not find better produce or dairy standards anywhere else!

Cons

The store and assistant store managers, ALWAYS! They never did what they said they would, many empty promises, micromanage you right out the door if your the weakest link. I would gladly name names, but I’m better them! Another one to look out for, the gossip!

Advice to Management

Let the staff do their jobs and quit punishing the ones that do work!

Nov 16, 2017 – Talent/Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for taking time to give your feedback. As we grow, our top priority remains the commitment to our employees and customers. We appreciate your thoughts and will continue to grow with the... More

6. "A Positive Place To Work"

Current Employee - Store Support
    Current Employee - Store Support

Pros

The kind of people that come into a health food store usually already carry a mindset focused on empowerment. They want to get healthy, right? That being said, people are regularly kind, curious, and super fun to talk with. Staff is in the same boat. At least at my store, I'm immersed in a team-based/family vibe. Being able to connect with people in regards to their well being- that's the zest of this job. That makes working productive and engaging. For a job, it's a good one to have.

Cons

Honestly, you get what you make of any job. There fore, it would do the company injustice if I left any rants.

Advice to Management

The more fulfilled you are in yourself, then naturally you will bring that into the work place- and into everything you do. It's contagious and is conducive for productivity. Also: Keep a look out for the trends in the market place... huge shifts are underway.

Oct 31, 2017 – Recruiter

"Great place to work..."

Current Employee - Produce Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Produce Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Vitamin bucks are awesome. Holidays off are nice. Fellow coworkers are great.

Cons

Home office. Wow. Worthless. They have employees living in fear that they're going to get fired constantly. They don't listen to ideas and constantly force their employees to promote so many things that customers get annoyed and yell at you.

Advice to Management

Ease up. People make mistakes. The staff have so much to do in one day and you can't expect results when you keep piling on useless tasks that waste time.
    Maybe visit a store once in a while instead of sitting at a desk all day demanding way beyond what a (understaffed!) store can do.

Oct 23, 2017 – Recruiter

The Store Support Center at Natural Grocers partners with more than 140 stores on a daily basis to provide world class customer service and ensure everyday affordable pricing for our communities. We... More

8. "Great company!"

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time

Pros

Great starting pay. Train for a month in Colorado. Discounts and other cool stuff. They give you a card every paycheck with 75 cents for every hour you work to use at the store.

Cons

Upper management was terrible where I worked but other than that nothing bad to say.

Advice to Management

Better decisions when hiring management

Oct 27, 2017 – Recruiter

Glad to head you had a positive experience at our Training Center in Golden, CO! We're also excited about the $1/ hour worked in Vitamin Bucks!

9. "Hire a Business Analyst to optimise our potential"

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time

Pros

Great dairy, meat and egg standards (I wish they would make standards like that for the employees), Vitabucks, Co-workers and clientele!

Cons

Hiring inexperienced SM's and AM's causes problems all around. In addition, HO and HR aren't seemingly approachable. Training is poor.

Advice to Management

Regional's need to be much more involved in the daily operations of the store for stores that do have the inexperienced SM and AM's and much more involved in the personal training of the inexperienced Dept Managers. It sounds like from reading others reviews that we aren't the only store that has issues with verbal abuse and favoritism from the SM's and AM's so the Regional having more involvement in the Department Managers daily routine would help to seek out any problems and deal with them before they get to HR. Continued training for the SM's and AM's.

Oct 23, 2017 – Recruiter

Natural Grocers is proud of the industry leading product standards, but also of the work-ethic of the employees who share our values. Managers at NG consistently guide the good4u crew's development... More

10. "review"

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

It wasnt always busy during the week