Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kemper Isely

Pros
  • The employee discount is good for some products and not so good for others (in 28 reviews)

• Natural Grocers offers great benefits to employees who work 30 or more hours per week (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • I just get tired of reading negative posts and this one is in no way coming from our home office (in 45 reviews)

• I've seen many brand new store managers leave very soon after taking the position (in 29 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mission driven and passionate about nutrition. Lots of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Limited holidays and long work hours

2. "Head Cashier"

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Dallas, TX

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a family atmosphere, they care about their employees and also they're customers. BEST customers I've ever worked with.

Cons

Management seemed detached, they didn't give you much room to grow.

3. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hurst, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Hurst, TX

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and people within the company

Cons

They are expanding way too quickly.

Advice to Management

Slow the rate of growth and hire more home office employees to handle the current stores you have.

5. "Customer Service"

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vitamin bucks/Team Culture/Procedures in place which helps the store run smoothly/Proud of the products Natural Grocers sell

Cons

None - Great place to work

6. "Great place to work, friendly people!"

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage part-time

Pros

Friendly staff, good employers, I would work for them again.

Cons

Unpredictable schedule, it changes from week-to-week.

"Nutrition Health Coach"

Current Employee - Nutritional Health Coach
    Current Employee - Nutritional Health Coach

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coming from private practice where it was difficult to maintain a steady income due to fluctuations in client load, NG offers structure and stability where you're able to do coaching sessions and many other educational tasks and have a paycheck every week. My store has a demo kitchen and one of my favorites job duties is teaching both nutrition seminars and cooking demos. Recently, there has been a big push to get more involved in the community and getting out to mingle with different businesses/groups to offer free nutrition presentations to encourage sales growth in the store. Your week consists of two days on the sales floor in the supplement section and 3 'office' days which are jam packed with many required tasks.
    So far, I've been very pleased with the health insurance they offer. I was uninsured for years so it's nice to catch up on some appointments I could not otherwise afford before.
    You don't have to ever worry about working more than 40 hrs a week, they are strict about clocking out not a minute after 40 hrs.

Cons

For the education/experience required to be hired and the amount of job duties, the pay is way too low. At the end of the day, it's a retail business for profit so you'll never make a decent salary; even after years in the role you cap out at a certain pay. You are paid better than all the store support roles, but for the rising cost to live in Denver for me it's not sustainable.
    The company is antiquated in many of their operational practices, and seem to be focusing all their attention and money into building new stores when there's plenty of upgrades and ways to improve the already established stores.

Advice to Management

Overall, as a nutritionist, I very much appreciate the company's passion for whole foods and spreading nutrition education to the community FOR FREE. So many people don't know what a wonderful offering this is but they do take great strides to spread the word.

Feb 8, 2017 – Talent Coordinator

Thanks for your feedback! Natural Grocers is dedicated to providing Nutrition Education in the communities we serve, helping to empower our customers and employees to take charge of their health ... More

8. "Great job!"

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time

Pros

Wonderful management that really cares about employees.

Cons

The schedule changes each week.

9. "Natural Grocers"

Former Employee - Cashier in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage (More than a year)

Pros

good job I enjoyed working there

Cons

I only wanted to work part time

Feb 8, 2017 – Talent Coordinator

Natural Grocers is committed to the Employees. We offer full-time positions with benefits and a generous store discount to provide them with positive work-life balance. Some stores may have part time ... More

"What a joke"

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time

Pros

Vitamin Bucks, Discount, good employees, good quality products

Cons

Vitamin Bucks (I would rather get paid more so I could afford to shop there), management is atrocious, SAP is a joke, the music is the same 12 songs on repeat, employees are stretched too thin because upper management tries to keep labor hours low, Core items force you to keep items on the shelf that don't sell, newer stores have no Backstock which means no place to put all the items that are constantly being plussed out by Home Office

Advice to Management

Stop opening stores, pay attention to employee complaints, stop assuming the customers are saints; they are usually the problem. Be better about banning customers who steal. If they are caught on camera, they should automatically be banned. Make sure your store managers actually provide positive morale because you'll end up losing the good employees you have in order to hold onto seasoned managers who don't want to be there any more.

"good"

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage part-time

Pros

flexible schedule, very nice people

Cons

tiring work, lots of standing and bending

Feb 8, 2017 – Talent Coordinator

Working with us can be very hands on in an exciting retail environment. We're glad you had a positive experience with your scheduling, work-life balance is important to us at Natural Grocers. Whether ... More