Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 21, 2019

2.8
Kemper Isely

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Employee discount is great along with extra money every paycheck for them" (in 45 reviews)

• "On top of the pay the extra benefits you get free nutrition education" (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Constantly wishing for just a few more employees but according to home office we don’t make enough money for that" (in 63 reviews)

• "They also make it very difficult for store managers to get rid of troublesome employees" (in 42 reviews)

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time

Pros

Work environment, work-life balance, Vitamin Bucks + discounts, growth opportunities

Cons

Some aspects feel a little too traditional and old school

Dec 10, 2018 – Recruiter

Thanks for letting us know you're having a positive experience, we appreciate your hard work and glad to hear you're enjoying some great perks and benefits.

"Great Position; Disorganized Company"

Former Employee - Nutritional Health Coach
    Former Employee - Nutritional Health Coach

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Every hour you work you get a dollar in groceries, and some pretty great discounts. Wonderful company standards, and commitment bringing nutrition education to the community.

Cons

No clear lines of communication between corporate headquarters and each store. The company is growing faster than it seems it is able to keep up with.

Mar 22, 2019 – Recruiter

Thanks for your hard work with us. Empowering the community with free nutrition education is one of the most rewarding aspects of the job! Vitamin Bucks + discount = great accessibility to quality... More

"Good company look elsewhere if you have a degree"

Former Employee - Health Coach
    Former Employee - Health Coach

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Way too much work for a health coach for the pay. Especially if you have a degree.

Cons

Expectations are way too high. Burnout inevitable. Plus your expected to clean bathrooms and help with all store functions after youve given classes and worked in the community and sold vitamins all day.

Advice to Management

I dont need to hear the head and owner of wellness crying evertime there's a corporate meeting. Yeah we get it...your life is tough with your huge salary.

Mar 22, 2019 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback and hard work as an NHC. Our Nutritional Health Coaches work very hard to provide free nutrition education to the community (talk about fulfilling!) The NHC is very much a... More

4. "some good some bad"

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discounts, vit. bucks and having 2 days off in a row are good. Extra vacation after 4 years even better.

Cons

Pay is not commensurate with local living expenses or competition's pay in like industry. Entry level management and store support just got large raise to keep up with my state's minimum wage increase. Store support are not held accountable to do any work by upper management. Poor workers are emulated by others because there is no standard. Absenteeism needs to be addressed. Some kind of bonus should be given for good attendance. Wage increases need to be judged on actual work and good attendance. Those who are at work every day and work hard every day are paid just the same as the lops.

Advice to Management

Strict accountability, Bonus for good attendance.

Mar 22, 2019 – Recruiter

Thanks for your feedback, we encourage you to also provide feedback to your managers, since we're always looking to improve. Natural Grocers offers fast-track leadership development for the good4u... More

5. "Produce Manager"

Current Employee - Produce Manager
    Current Employee - Produce Manager

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vitamin bucks, Paid off holidays, becoming familiar with vitamins, room for advancement

Cons

Typical retail turnover, no overtime allowed

Feb 28, 2019 – Recruiter

We're glad to hear you're having a positive experience. We're proud to offer great perks & benefits as well as fast track career growth for our good4u crew. Thanks for all your hard work making... More

"pretty decent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX

Pros

vitamin bucks, discount, team environment, talented store manager, friendly assistant manager, cool regional manager, good scheduling, chill customers( for the most part), assistance program, generally most days are good ones , theres a shower nobody uses so thats cool. relaxed dress code. good communication. decent pay. cross training. fun place to live. jason lee shops this store often so that can be exciting.

Cons

insurance is a waste of money, some employees are super slow and dont understand work ethic, bright obnoxious orange and green aprons. no employee puppy cuddling program, no overtime allowed, most staff are backup cashiers, seems like more work is being added while hours are taken away. new events seem to pop up and its hard to keep track of them all. the rewards program is confusing for everyone. company started bag checks and that feels scummy. cant wear anything that smells good and meetings are way too early n the morning. instacart shoppers are completely helpless and we should be allotted more hours just to honor these shopping services because we do a lot of personal shopping instead that takes us away from assigned tasks.

Advice to Management

honestly, weve had our disagreements but the store and asst managers here are basically superheros so no advice to them. for home office, i think they should increase labor or approve overtime. we will gladly give up weird bags and sweatshirts for more people. consider allowing overnight stocking at this location because customers here are very needy and good customer service makes it difficult to get work done but if we had one person stock after hours and one person floating helping customers during store hours, i bet customer service would improve and stock would get done twice as fast. think about making stockers and cashiers as separate positions . bring back the blue aprons. black would be cool too. nobody looks good in orange, not even oranges.

Feb 22, 2019 – Recruiter

We appreciate your feedback and recognize the hard work our good4u crew puts in to provide the best experience for our community. We encourage you to share your ideas with your manager.

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay. Great Perks such as Birthday Pay and Vitamin Bucks Card

Cons

Horrible Human Resource Department, Company Threatens Managers doesn't support them, Colorado stores are ran different than all others, constant turn over in home office, Outdated POS and ordering systems

Advice to Management

Hire a new human resource department and get rid of some of the ones you have promoted up that are underqualified and operate as bullies.

Get a new program for customers the N Power doesn't work and it makes customers angry and they don't come back.
    Update your Programs in the Texas stores we have computers crashing all day and are having to re-boot during business hours.
    Give Managers more support.

Mar 7, 2019 – Recruiter

Thanks for your feedback, we're always reviewing areas to improve. Our perks & benefits help support our good4u Crew to grow and thrive as they advance their career.

8. "Great People, Great Manager"

Former Employee - Haba in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Haba in Denver, CO

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The management makes the team. We had a great manager.

Cons

You have to work one weekend day.

Feb 11, 2019 – Recruiter

Glad to hear you had a positive experience. Our managers are pretty awesome. Thanks for the feedback!

9. "It’s a great starter position"

Current Employee - Nutritional Health Coach in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Nutritional Health Coach in Portland, OR

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like the frequent breaks, it’s a nice way to break up the day when it’s hectic. You get a 10 min break after the first 2 hours, then 30 min 2 hours after that, then a last 10 min 2 hours after that. I also find the Vitamin Bucks to be beneficial because it’s basically extra non-taxed money to buy groceries or supplements with. We get $1 per hour of Vitamin Bucks that can only be used in the store, and a nice discount on top of that. For the position itself, I’m gaining valuable experience through teaching classes, and holding 1 on 1 coaching sessions with customers. It’s a great way to use Nutriton expertise especially if you are fresh out of college!

Cons

While you are your own department in the store (NHC’s are also Nutrition Managers) NHC’s are still at the whim of the Manager and the store’s needs. That being said, you may have to start at 6 AM to participate in store team meetings twice a month, and close the store (work until after 10 PM depending on when that particular store closes) a minimum of 1 night a week. You also have 2 “floor” days per week where you need to support the Vitamins Department by stocking shelves, cleaning, and other floor duties. I can definitely see the value in this, but I feel that I could be more productive if it were 1 floor day per week. The NHC task list is a LONG one, we are in charge of so much more that you’d think! Lastly, the pay isn’t GREAT but it’s manageable, and each year there’s opportunity for a small raise which is great motivation to work hard.

Advice to Management

My only advice is to have NHC’s on the “floor” one day a week, and only have to work Monday through Friday. 95% of my outreach requests are for Monday through Friday, and when communicating with businesses, they typically can only be reached Monday through Friday as well. After collecting class surveys, it seems that weekday evenings (5 or 6 PM) are when people can attend classes most.

Feb 22, 2019 – Recruiter

Thanks for your feedback. Becoming an NHC with Natural Grocers is an awesome way to empower your community through nutrition education. Thanks for bringing your skills & talents to Natural Grocers.... More

"Overall a disapointing experience"

Current Employee - Store Support in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Store Support in Dallas, TX

Pros

Employee discount is good, great coworkers and some nice customers. Provides great products for customers.

Cons

They refuse to hire extra workers but expect the employees they do have to work extra hard to make up for that. This has led to burnout, low morale, and depression among among the staff but corporate doesn't care. They claim that their employees are a priority in their core values but that is just lip service. Management can't really help the workers in this regard and they just recite the corporate excuse about not having money for extra help. Essentially your expected to run 110 percent on a skeleton crew. Extremely high turn over is the result. Unless your a store manager or assistant store manager, it's impossible to motivate yourself to work here long term.

Advice to Management

Nobody believes that the company doesn't have money to hire new workers, so please stop insulting your employees intelligence. Please practice compassion towards the people who actually run your store at the ground level.

Feb 22, 2019 – Recruiter

Thanks for your feedback. We'e always open to listening to our good4u Crew on ways we can improve. Please reach out to your management team to see if we can improve your experience.