What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "good benefits as far as the vitabucks and discount goes." (in 80 reviews)
- "Pay is decent and job is easy" (in 64 reviews)
- "Great customers, products, discounts, and coworkers!" (in 48 reviews)
- "The job was fun and people were great" (in 48 reviews)
- "Other Employees are great usually too!" (in 21 reviews)
- "Management is poor and unorganized." (in 62 reviews)
- "Regional managers are authoritative and will beat you down like a dog until they feel like they have broken you." (in 54 reviews)
- "Upper management was terrible where I worked but other than that nothing bad to say." (in 44 reviews)
- "Unless your a store manager or assistant store manager, it's impossible to motivate yourself to work here long term." (in 37 reviews)
- "no training at all! except in the opening of the store" (in 30 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage and is not affected by filters.
- Race / Ethnicity
- Sexual Orientation
- Parent or Family Caregiver
- Veteran Status
Found 983 of over 996 reviews
Updated Sep 19, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 2.0Sep 12, 2023Sales AssociateCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearDenver, CO
You get benefits, but they start after two months of employment- which isn't worth it.
You don't know what hours you'll get, was too spontaneous for someone looking for job stability. Cashering can get really stressful, especially if you're the only cashier on shift. Customers make sure you know you're awful at your job. Standing for hours at a time really hurts your legs and feet. Natural Grocers claims they care about their employees but if you are a new hire, you'll get training for a few hours then "fed to the dogs" and you have to deal with a long line of angry customers, at the end of the day, it really isn't worth the time and money- it's their own fault they're so understaffed and it shouldn't affect your mental health that bad.
- 2.0Aug 29, 2023Nutritional Health CoachFormer Employee, more than 5 years
This position did teach me a lot about nutrition in addition to what I had learned in school, so I have to give at least a 2 for that. Most of the people that work in the nutrition department are pretty great, but you will not work directly with these people as they are based in CO. This job is great if you are looking for something after school to "fill in the gap" while finding an actual job. It's not wise to work here if you are looking to have your own nutrition business as they will not allow you to have one,
The management of this company is incredibly bad, and the bad morale it creates permeates through the store. The regional manager for nutrition in our region was an extreme micro-manager that treated you like you were in middle school. The pay is EXTREMELY LOW and it's not worth the headache.1
- 3.0Jul 12, 2023ManagerFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsOgden, UT
Flexible scheduling, paid sick days, and birthday pay. Most of the staff was great, including the store manager and assistant store manager. I can't say if this is still true, as most of the people I worked with are gone now.
HR always seemed to make store conflicts worse. Home Office in general constantly showed a lack of understanding of how things work in an actual store and rarely seemed to trust the store and assistant store managers to do their job, even though they were excellent and hard working. This included not allowing them to fire a problematic employee that constantly no-showed or was extremely late. This was very frustrating for those of us who had to pick up the slack and wanted the store to succeed. It also decreased the morale of the store because others felt as though they could do whatever they wanted because there were rarely consequences, due to the store managers' hands being tied by corporate. Also, I have many issues with the overall messages this company encourages. I'll just say that after the pandemic I could no longer in good conscious work for a company that sells magazines that claim on the cover that one could "cure" their own cancer with juice and supplements.2
- 4.0Sep 12, 2023Receiving Assistant ManagerCurrent Employee
Good company culture with a pretty wide range of benefits, flexible scheduling, and generous paid time off.
The pay just doesn't really cut it. The budget is also tight, creating some frustrating scenarios at work every now and then.
- 4.0Sep 12, 2023Head CashierFormer Employee, more than 1 yearRichardson, TX
- Nice work environment - Friendly staff and customers - a culture of always learning more about really interesting products
- The pay (this might have raised since the time I was head cashier)
- 2.0Apr 6, 2023Assistant ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 5 yearsDenver, CO
Amazing co-workers. Vitabucks. PTO. Paid Holidays off.
I've been with this company a long time. Over the years, things have changed... a lot. I do not feel supported by Home Office... at all. I live constantly in fear of getting fired. The new regionals and HR department are beyond incompetent and don't know how to manage or deal with people. It's terrifying. This company is taking a drastic turn and its very disappointing in the direction they're taking on how they're treating employees. Managers are forced to manage on skeleton crews and lay people off. Not worth it at this point. Better off applying to King Soopers where there is a union to protect the workers. Current employees need to form a union for future protection! Please! The crew needs support.10
- 5.0Aug 24, 2023ClerkCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearPortland, OR
good benefits, flexible work schedule, continual training
understaffed at times, could strengthen overall organization of store.
Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage Reviews FAQs
Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage has an overall rating of 3.3 out of 5, based on over 996 reviews left anonymously by employees. 50% of employees would recommend working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage to a friend and 38% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.
50% of Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage 3.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.3 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.