Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage Store Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Kemper Isely

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I just get tired of reading negative posts and this one is in no way coming from our home office (in 51 reviews)

• I've seen many brand new store managers leave very soon after taking the position (in 32 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hurst, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Hurst, TX

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and people within the company

Cons

They are expanding way too quickly.

Advice to Management

Slow the rate of growth and hire more home office employees to handle the current stores you have.

Feb 28, 2017 – Talent Coordinator

Natural Grocers is committed to providing great pay and excellent benefits to the good4u crew members, and we're also excited about the opportunity to provide marketplace for the highest quality... More

"Haters Gonna Hate 2"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Western, NE
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Western, NE

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growing company with lots of opportunity to those who work for it.

Cons

I am proud to be a part of a hard working fun team at my location. Is it without challenges? No but we work together and work through them rather than gripe and complain all the time which does nothing to help a situation. I have been in retail 20 plus years and I can tell you that this company is by far the best with pay, hours and holidays. The only cons to me are the people who gripe versus really trying to constructively help the situation. I just get tired of reading negative posts and this one is in no way coming from our home office. I am facing the challenges of the day just like the rest of you on here...and for sure not from New York.

Advice to Management

I feel sorry for our home office because of all the negative crap they have to put up with every day...a lot of us have great relationships with our home office team. Both the field and home office are not perfect but we can continue to work together to find solutions. There are many of us who stand behind the company and and are willing to continue working towards success for everyone including the haters.

"Store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Discount VB bucks, hard working employees at store level.

Cons

I have noticed that there are some reviews that are untrue, I will tell you that the HR of the company was asking employees to write good reviews on GD. This goes to show their lack of professionalism.

Advice to Management

Leave as soon as possible

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Billings, MT

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good education on healthy living, $80 in vitamin bucks every 2 weeks was great! Good, clean product throughout the store too!

Cons

Pay is whacked! $65k is the minimum salary for Store Manager's and that home office wouldn't pay me the minimum. I worked as a Store Manager for them for 3 years and busted my you know what off to watch brand new and failing managers make more than me...??? Somehow they thought it was okay to do that but that is par for the course with this company, if they can screw you over financially they will...gotta pay for the 4 owners salary somehow ($2 million annually...seriously lame) while labor at store level continually gets slashed. Opportunity to advance is based on whether or not you're popular with the "pork chop and applesauce gang"...definitely not on experience and clearly not from leadership qualities. I have an idea! Let's promote someone to lead the company operations that has never operated a store before...TOO FUNNY! Moving on to daily expectations...expect to work long hours, complete many checklists, send lots of pictures, be on the register often, stocking load, and so on. Morale is already past the stage of declining as home office has already pushed much of their store level and home office talent out the door...like they're grown on trees to replace or something. Absolutely head scratching. High turnover=less experienced team=operational dysfunction=declining sales=epic company fail. It's only a matter of time before investors start pulling out. Attend the public conference financial calls and look at the stock market ticker...its failing hard

Advice to Management

Your egos and failed approach to leadership is driving the company into the ground and EVERYONE knows it now! Replace yourselves and the leadership crew surrounding you before it's too late. The rich get richer while marginalizing and screwing others over approach...how's that been working out for you lately?

"Its tough, but they pay well."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denton, TX

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vitamin bucks, birthday pay, benefits after 90 days. Big growth potential. Fun casual work environment. Creative outlet for artistic people

Cons

Still a baby company according to company size. Need to have a team work, problem solving state of mind. Its tough for outside people to step into a store manager position. I've seen many brand new store managers leave very soon after taking the position .

Advice to Management

Become a bit more departmentalized due to size of growth.

Oct 10, 2016 – Talent Coordinator

Thanks for you feedback. Please reach out directly if we can better support you in the Denton store. We're excited about the opportunities for growth and creativity, too!

"Run! Run! Do not join this company!"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Very good nutritional education
    -Has a great concept, all natural, all organic
    -Vita bucks have great value to it

Cons

-The leadership team is the biggest challenge, there is no structure, but they feel that there is.
    -The family is the biggest issue, I sent them emails with my concerns and they do not care. For example, I placed my two weeks in and they did not once send me a thank you email or phone call for my time there.
    -HR bullies people, but yet they feel they are trained professionals
    -There is a reason why this company has the highest turnover in Store Managers and Regional Managers, there is a lack of consistency
    -Labor is cut in the store, yet the technology to support the operations is about 20 years old
    -I can go on for days, take my advice and move along, don't even consider this place because they do not care about people. They say it, but do not live it, unfortunately, the founder would be in a world of distress if they found out how people were treated.

Advice to Management

Wipe the family out, bring in a whole new leadership team, promotions are based on skill, not politics.

"Vitamin Department Manager; Assistant Store manager"

Former Employee - Department Manager & Assistant Store Manager in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Department Manager & Assistant Store Manager in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts, ethical standards for food carried, mostly good people as coworkers, fairly easy job

Cons

Management And HO do not hold people accountable for the actions. Gossip is allowed to run rampant like you are in junior high with no response from HR. HO has no clue what is happening at store level and make things more difficult than they should be.

Advice to Management

Revamp the idea of what a Regional manager should be doing. HR should interview everyone at a store when a high level person is being accused of acting incorrectly and not just take the word of a few individuals who have worked at the store a shirt time. Wake up!

"Little, orange, different..."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Lots of growth, endless opportunities for advancement, fast paced, aggressive learning curve, unique customer base, pretty good pay and benefits.

Cons

Lots of growth, to much growth, hard to keep up, rspud policy changes, somewhat inconsistent, still trying to find their way, little company that's growing up and trying to be big.

Advice to Management

Slow down, simmer down, settle down!

Aug 19, 2016 – Talent Coordinator

We're excited about the growth and opportunities for quick career advancement in a sustainable industry too! Thanks for carrying the mission of the 5 Founding Principles right here in our hometown!... More

"Great, strong company currently going through growing pains."

Current Employee - Senior Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time

Pros

Strong differentiation from competitors through focus on educating and improving customers loves. Possesses the opportunity to influence the food supply for the better, especially as we continue to grow and capture market share.

Cons

Currently struggling with how to become large company while keeping the culture and values that allowe us to get where we are today. Until we can achieve a consistent level of operational excellence across the company we will contribute to struggle to capitalize on the strengths of our founding principles.

Advice to Management

Please change the incentive program to reward the stores that hit the marks, rather than punish the goods stores for the rest of the companies performance.

"Great Company with Flawed Leadership"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount, Good hours for all employees, Ability to make decisions w/o being constantly micro managed. The store managers have direct control over what they need to do on a daily basis.

Cons

The Isleys. Labor too tight to have great customer service all the time. Bad Regional Management team. Store managers have too much on their plates to really do what needs to be done to run a customer focused store.

Advice to Management

Get new upper level management that isn't a family member. Try and keep those good managers who care about he company and their staff.