Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage Employee Reviews about "employee discount"

Updated Dec 26, 2020

3.4
Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage Co-President  Kemper Isely  (no image)
Kemper Isely
Pros
  • "The employee discount is decent(in 52 reviews)

• "Great benefits and a fun environment(in 31 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Home office is very disconnected from store level operations(in 71 reviews)

• "Store managers and assistants will work ridiculous hours(in 50 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "employee discount"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Amazing Coworkers, Compassionate Employer

Nov 22, 2020 - Customer Care Representative in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee discount, free groceries and samples, monetary performance bonuses, friendly crew, good management, never a dull moment, lots to learn, great exercise, and awesome customers

Cons

Long hours on your feet if you have any back issues and, of course, navigating the COVID crisis and its impact and changes to the business

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Former Employee

They'll squeeze the life from you.

Dec 26, 2020 - Store Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

They provide good employee discounts.

Cons

They expect 10 - 12 hours a day and/or more than 5 days a week from store managers.

Recruiting Administrator

We have about 20-25 employees in each store and it is an all hands on deck approach on most days. We do appreciate the hard work of our crew. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Doesn't care about store employees

Jul 22, 2020 - Grocery Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

They have good employee discounts

Cons

Denied some employees their Hero Bonus for Covid-19 because of write-ups that happened even before the pandemic began.

4. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Terrible for Work/Life balance

Jul 6, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee discount, Medical, Dental and vision insurance

Cons

No set schedule, constant schedule changes, worked four months straight during the pandemic and now requesting time off and several weeks are blocked out. Don't know when I will be able to take a rest. No regard for employee health.

5. 3.0

Phoenix Location Needs Improvement

Oct 18, 2018 - Crew Member in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Vitamin Bucks were a great benefit, (though I do think it should have been $2 for every hour worked rather than $1). -Employee discounts are decent (10% off for produce, meat, dairy and frozen. 20% off for grocery and bulk. 30% off for body care and supplements.) 50% off everything would be much better, but at the end of the day, it's still a greedy corporation. -Shared beliefs amongst coworkers and customers. -Good core values and standards as far as products go. Definitely better than other large health food stores in this regard. -Has potential to be a great workplace.

Cons

-Management takes advantage of their position. Manipulative behavior, condescending remarks and a general snarky attitude are normal. -Scheduling was poorly thought out/insufficient. -Work/life balance was nonexistent. -HR didn't seem to do much of anything about issues that were brought to their attention. -Wages need to be higher. Company thinks it deserves a pat on the back for paying crew members $0.50 more than AZ minimum wage to start. Not even livable. A company that prides itself on the high standards they set for the products they offer should raise their standards in terms of wages and benefits.

9 people found this review helpful

Recruiter

We're sorry to hear that you did not have the best experience with Natural Grocers. Thanks for giving us this feedback, it will help us improve.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee

NG

Aug 16, 2019 - Good4UCrew
      Business Outlook

Pros

The employee discount is decent

Cons

The VitaBucks program seems a bit shady to me, $1 store credit for each hour worked. They could easily increase the hourly rate by $1 to spend as you please, but they pay you $1 less, and mask it as getting something for free. At least that is my perception.

3 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Strategist

Thank you for taking time to give your feedback. We appreciate your thoughts and will continue to grow with the best interest of our Good4u crew in mind. We use the VitaBucks as a way for the employees to try out all the amazing products in the store without it coming out of their pay.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work for!

Oct 10, 2019 - Vitamin Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Growth opportunities, excellent benefits, employee discount and other perks like birthday pay, incredible integrity behind business model

Cons

None that I have experienced.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Overall a disapointing experience

Feb 11, 2019 - Store Support in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee discount is good, great coworkers and some nice customers. Provides great products for customers.

Cons

They refuse to hire extra workers but expect the employees they do have to work extra hard to make up for that. This has led to burnout, low morale, and depression among among the staff but corporate doesn't care. They claim that their employees are a priority in their core values but that is just lip service. Management can't really help the workers in this regard and they just recite the corporate excuse about not having money for extra help. Essentially your expected to run 110 percent on a skeleton crew. Extremely high turn over is the result. Unless your a store manager or assistant store manager, it's impossible to motivate yourself to work here long term.

9 people found this review helpful

Recruiter

Thanks for your feedback. We'e always open to listening to our good4u Crew on ways we can improve. Please reach out to your management team to see if we can improve your experience.

9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Keeps Geting Worse

May 13, 2019 - Department Manager in Tucson, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great co-workers. Good employee discount. Vitamin Bucks.

Cons

Extremely understaffed & overworked. No overtime. Underpaid. Very stressful. Poorly trained store managers. Pointless training videos. People don't learn by watching videos, they learn hands on.

13 people found this review helpful

Recruiter

Thanks for sharing your input on your experience, we will pass along your feedback. Please reach out to your direct management team so they can help shape your day-to-day experience in a positive way. Natural Grocers is committed to the employees and our training is always evolving and improving as we implement progressive retail technologies, including our Store Simulation Center for new managers in our beautiful hometown of Golden, CO. We're glad to hear you're enjoying the discount and Vitamin bucks.

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

I wish the employees were valued as much as the company claims they are.

Jan 3, 2014 - Systems Developer in Lakewood, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good employee discount, and I loved the thought that I would be helping make a difference in the organic/natural foods area. In-store training is a great idea.

Cons

As an employee in the home office I felt it to be, quite frankly, depressing. It's mostly a dark, windowless warehouse space with rooms partitioned off to be offices. The lighting and environment feels terrible, so in this sense employees are sacrificed to keep costs down. As a salaried employee I was still forced to punch in and out, which I found to be unusual. Upon being hired I was never really given a proper tour or explanation of how things were run, and never once met the CEO or any other executives. For such a small corporate office it seems like a given that I would have been introduced and welcomed, but there appears to be an us/them division between the executives and everyone else. I think that trickles down, because nearly everyone else I came across was reluctant to introduce themselves to me and make me feel welcome.

16 people found this review helpful