Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage "employee discount" Reviews | Glassdoor

Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage Employee Reviews about "employee discount"

Updated 16 Aug 2019

2.7
Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage CEO Kemper Isely  (no image)
Kemper Isely
Pros
Cons
  • "Home office creates an environment for double standards(in 66 reviews)

• "They also make it very difficult for store managers to get rid of troublesome employees(in 47 reviews)

Reviews about "employee discount"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Loving my job!"

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This has been a great company to work for! With hard work and dedication there are many opportunities to advance your career. Employee discounts are great and extra dollar an hour is very appreciated. Great place to start a career!

Cons

Growth happened very quickly, this caused both pros and cons. We have slowed down on growth and have been focusing on structure at store level. Always work to do with building structure but moving in the right direction.

Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage2018-03-10

"NG"

Current Employee - Good4UCrew

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time

Pros

The employee discount is decent

Cons

The VitaBucks program seems a bit shady to me, $1 store credit for each hour worked. They could easily increase the hourly rate by $1 to spend as you please, but they pay you $1 less, and mask it as getting something for free. At least that is my perception.

Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage2019-08-16

"Keeps Geting Worse"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great co-workers. Good employee discount. Vitamin Bucks.

Cons

Extremely understaffed & overworked. No overtime. Underpaid. Very stressful. Poorly trained store managers. Pointless training videos. People don't learn by watching videos, they learn hands on.

Advice to Management

Natural Grocers could be a really great company if you hired more people and paid department managers better. You'd have happier employees & better retention of good employees, thereby having happier, more loyal customers. I've never worked anywhere where great employees complained so much about being overworked and wanting to find a better job. It really is a terrible place to work. Please fix it.

Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage2019-05-13

"Overall a disapointing experience"

Current Employee - Store Support in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee discount is good, great coworkers and some nice customers. Provides great products for customers.

Cons

They refuse to hire extra workers but expect the employees they do have to work extra hard to make up for that. This has led to burnout, low morale, and depression among among the staff but corporate doesn't care. They claim that their employees are a priority in their core values but that is just lip service. Management can't really help the workers in this regard and they just recite the corporate excuse about... not having money for extra help. Essentially your expected to run 110 percent on a skeleton crew. Extremely high turn over is the result. Unless your a store manager or assistant store manager, it's impossible to motivate yourself to work here long term.

Advice to Management

Nobody believes that the company doesn't have money to hire new workers, so please stop insulting your employees intelligence. Please practice compassion towards the people who actually run your store at the ground level.

Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage2019-02-11

"Phoenix Location Needs Improvement"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Vitamin Bucks were a great benefit, (though I do think it should have been $2 for every hour worked rather than $1). -Employee discounts are decent (10% off for produce, meat, dairy and frozen. 20% off for grocery and bulk. 30% off for body care and supplements.) 50% off everything would be much better, but at the end of the day, it's still a greedy corporation. -Shared beliefs amongst coworkers and customers.... -Good core values and standards as far as products go. Definitely better than other large health food stores in this regard. -Has potential to be a great workplace.

Cons

-Management takes advantage of their position. Manipulative behavior, condescending remarks and a general snarky attitude are normal. -Scheduling was poorly thought out/insufficient. -Work/life balance was nonexistent. -HR didn't seem to do much of anything about issues that were brought to their attention. -Wages need to be higher. Company thinks it deserves a pat on the back for paying crew members $0.50 more... than AZ minimum wage to start. Not even livable. A company that prides itself on the high standards they set for the products they offer should raise their standards in terms of wages and benefits.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to resign before this store loses more valuable people. Your behavior is inexcusable, and certainly not characteristic of a good leader. Make room for someone genuine who dedicates their time to being a good manager rather than attempting to pull off a facade. Only then will this store have the morale that it desperately needs.

Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage2018-10-18

"Horrible, do not recommend."

Current Employee - Head Cashier

Pros

Good employee discount and vitamin bucks

Cons

Everything besides the pros. Horrible management. Horrible company to work for. Horrible insurance and everything else inbetween. You are not paid for what you’re worth, you are not treated well, your opinion and words do not matter to this company. It seems all fine and dandy when you first start working until you reveal the truth about this place & the company.

Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage2018-10-04
  7. "Produce manager"

Former Employee - Produce Manager

I worked at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pays better than most grocery stores, employee discounts, always chances to move up into management, they educate you a lot on vitamins and other brands that they sell in store so you can share knowledge with customers.

Cons

Depending on where you work you could get stuck with bad store management and a bad regional manager.

Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage2018-07-26

"Natural Grocers ... Chaotic Good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vitamin Bucks, employee discounts, birthday pay, paid time off, and 5 paid holidays a year! Passionate about the products that are sold and our standards. True health food store! Opportunities to quickly advance your career within the company. The SSC is working hard and fighting for the stores. There is a great feeling of appreciation for the hard work employees at the store level provide. Many of us... working at the SSC started our careers at Natural Grocers as store employees, so we will continue to try to make the store life easier because we've been there! We've been there when we had to trim our own hotline and in-store sale signs, during Turkey season, during hard time and good times. Open door policy: Don't be afraid to speak up! Management wants to know what they can do to improve life for all employees. Talking to employees who've been with the company for 20 or more years and hearing stories of Margaret Isely's passion and compassion is incredible. (Yes, I drank the Margaret Isely "kool-aid" - she sounds like she was an amazing woman!). Many women in leadership! And equal pay!

Cons

Salaried employees tend to be overworked and under-compensated. Frugal to a fault. Kitschy at times, though marketing team has been trying to move away from the kitsch. (PLEASE HIRE SOMEONE TO DESIGN TRENDY AND ATTRACTIVE BAGS!) Lack of competitive wages in metro ares. Expectation of loyalty that was popular in their early beginnings. The amount of waste created... I don't know how much good we do... getting rid of plastic and paper consumer bags while selling bulk in plastic bags and selling poorly made bags from, I'm assuming, China? Horrible health insurance with $1000 emergency room co-pay. Lacks cultural diversity.

Advice to Management

Consider regional pay rather than overall pay. $11 is amazing in smaller, low cost of living areas, but those working in metro areas like Denver and Portland need a higher wage. A commitment to employees includes ensuring that someone working 40/hours a week is able to afford rent and groceries, not decided between the two. Unfortunately, Denver has grown, and with it, the cost of living! Turnover can be reduced in... the metro area if we paid a living wage. Hold family employees accountable to the same standard as the rest of us. Stop branding random items with our logos to sell. Those items should be used as promotional giveaway, not as a profit maker (anyone remember the blankets fiasco?!). While I respect the Iselys and their great contribution to this company, I think they should listen to store employees about how their decisions are affecting the stores. Also, don't scold people when you shop at stores - we're only human! And if you must say something, say it with kindness.

Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage2018-05-10

"I generally enjoy my days at natural grocers. There are some really wonderful times and really terrible times."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Independence, MO

Pros

I like vitamin bucks, employee discount, the knowledge I have gained. I enjoy that many of my co workers feel like family.

Cons

Home office is constantly coming up with new initiatives that generally take more time than they are worth because they will come up with a whole new plan a few months down the road. They also make it very difficult for store managers to get rid of troublesome employees.

Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage2018-03-16

"Can’t Tell if I Love or Hate This Job"

Current Employee - Good4U Crew in Santa Fe, NM

I have been working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage full-time

Pros

The employee discounts and store credit are very helpful. Coworkers and customers are amazing (for the most part); friendly and intelligent people are attracted to this store. Paid holidays and birthdays are also helpful. The ethical standards for our products are very high. Most vegan options I’ve found for the lowest prices. Supplement prices are also really good for the most part. Our new rewards program is good,... too.

Cons

From cashier to stocker to department manager to store manager, the entire store needs more (and better) support. It’s almost random which departments you’ll get trained well in and which ones you’ll just have to learn as you go. It always feels like we’re just barely managing to get things done and you can never get quite as much done as you want. Constantly wishing for just a few more employees but according to... home office we don’t make enough money for that. Store manager is insecure, micromanaging, even mean sometimes, but everyone is too afraid to stand up to them. Too much power in selfish hands going unchecked. Employees are put down for failing instead of being encouraged to do better. The phrase “low morale” is spoken between coworkers about as often “hey how’s it goin’?” Never let the store manager hear you say it though. ;)

Advice to Management

Learn to trust your crew and in return, we’ll trust you back. Give decent training and you won’t have to answer a bunch of questions you don’t wanna answer. Positive reinforcement is more effective than negative. And corporate: quit overexpanding or you’ll run this company into the ground.

Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage2018-01-11