Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage Employee Reviews about "great benefits"

Updated Dec 4, 2020

Found 31 of over 693 reviews

3.4
Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage Co-President  Kemper Isely  (no image)
Kemper Isely
Pros
  • "The employee discount is decent(in 52 reviews)

• "Great benefits and a fun environment(in 31 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Home office is very disconnected from store level operations(in 71 reviews)

• "Store managers and assistants will work ridiculous hours(in 50 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "great benefits"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Dec 4, 2020 - Produce Assistant Manager in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and a fun environment

Cons

Pay could be better for the amount of work

Recruiting Administrator

Thank you for taking time to give your feedback. We appreciate your thoughts and will continue to grow with the best interest of our Good4u crew in mind.

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing Company

Jan 7, 2020 - Nutritional Health Coach in Heber City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

I loved working for Natural Grocers. There is great benefits, they really do care about their employees, and above all that they have such high standards when it comes to quality. Which makes it easy to work with customers. They always promote within, and if you are a hard worker there is a lot of opportunity to move up quickly!

Cons

Stores need more support from higher ups in the company.

Talent Acquisition Strategist

Glad you have had such a positive experience at Natural Grocers! We appreciate all of our team members and are proud to offer some industry leading perks like Vitamin Bucks and closing our doors on holidays so our employees can spend time with their friends and family. Our employees are what make us great!

3. 3.0

Love the People

Feb 19, 2020 - Cashier
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have gotten to work with such amazing people and its tough to watch them come and go but love to see them grow. So positive and always made me smile. You get great benefits. As a college kid they basically pay for your groceries.

Cons

Management is a huge issue at our store. Not helpful at all and put a lot of stress on all of us employees. Lots of weird childlike cartoon animal things everywhere and a little childish when we all are obviously adults and it doesn't amuse us.

Talent Acquisition Strategist

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the level of support you expected. Thank you for taking the time to give us your honest feedback! We care deeply about our people and go above and beyond to provide the support that you need. If you are not getting that support from your manager, please contact your HR business partner so that we can help.

4. 5.0

Head cashier

Dec 22, 2019 - Head Cashier
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company great benefits

Cons

No cons the company has been great to me

Talent Acquisition Strategist

At Natural Grocers we stand by our founding principles. More specifically our commitment to our employees and customers Glad to hear you're having a positive experience. Empowering the community through nutrition education and providing shelf space for natural products at an affordable price is our passion!

5. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Learn when to get rid of bad employees

Jan 5, 2020 - Produce Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits Employee focused great prices great discounts

Cons

Low pay compared to other places So employee focused that they don't know when to separate from a bad apple

1 person found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Strategist

Thank you for taking time to give your feedback. At Natural Grocers, we are proud of our commitment to our employees; it’s one of our Five Founding Principles. We encourage good4u crew members to be direct with the Store Support Center about their concerns. Reach out to HR@naturalgrocers.com or the HR Hotline if you would like to discuss your concerns further -- we want to be part of your work family too!

6. 2.0

Double standards

Jun 13, 2019 - Assistant Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Let's you be creative, great benefits, above average pay

Cons

Home office creates an environment for double standards. They can treat anyone however they like, but hold store managers and assistant managers to a higher standard. Proper communication is leaving

6 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Former Employee

Good company look elsewhere if you have a degree

Mar 21, 2019 - Health Coach
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits. Way too much work for a health coach for the pay. Especially if you have a degree.

Cons

Expectations are way too high. Burnout inevitable. Plus your expected to clean bathrooms and help with all store functions after youve given classes and worked in the community and sold vitamins all day.

4 people found this review helpful

Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback and hard work as an NHC. Our Nutritional Health Coaches work very hard to provide free nutrition education to the community (talk about fulfilling!) The NHC is very much a retail based role that helps meet the needs of the store when it comes to working with the community.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company to work for

Dec 3, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Natural Grocers offers great benefits to employees who work 30 or more hours per week. Unlike most employers in this day and age, they actually PREFER to hire full-time employees whenever possible. Employees also have an opportunity to learn about how to create optimal health through nutrition and healthy lifestyle choices. Last but definitely not least, all employees receive a great discount and on top of that also receive Vitamin Bucks. Vitamin Bucks is essentially free money that can be used to purchase anything in the store, and the discount still applies to anything purchased with Vitamin Bucks. I always say that I can't afford NOT to work at Natural Grocers because the discount and Vitamin Bucks save my family so much money.

Cons

Lots of turnover. This is definitely a job for someone who has great customers service skills and is happy to engage customers. When people who DO NOT have those passions work for the store it messes with the flow.

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Wouldn't Recommend

Jun 19, 2017 - Frozen/Dairy Department Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, very easy to move up and advance if you want. The only reason I'm giving 2 stars instead of 1 is because of the pay and benefits.

Cons

The upper management is terrible and the company has quickly gone down hill. Store managers now have virtually no control over their own stores and act more as figure heads while home office calls the shots. Working there was amazing initially but eventually I couldn't stand it and had to move on. If you do decide to work there, don't plan on making it a career. It will drive you crazy. You have very little control over anything and it's to the point where ever customers can tell things aren't going well. Also the work/life balance is horrible. To work there they expect your 100% dedication and won't work around your other life commitments.

13 people found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Cashier/Stocker

Apr 7, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Vitamin bucks - great benefits - Customers were always friendly - friendly staff

Cons

- Need more help at the store! For example, a customer asks for assistance in Vitamins and I'm on the register but there aren't any employees available to help because there's only three people scheduled on the floor, so then you have to call a manager and the manager is annoyed with you because they have to help them. Seriously, it's frustrating to try and have this so called "world class customer service" that they expect as a company when there isn't enough help in the departments -Terrible communication throughout the store and to the employees -Unorganized -Registers are really slow, get a new POS system! - Employees and management are under appreciated -Unrealistic time expectations for accomplishing tasks for employees and management team.

18 people found this review helpful