KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage

Engaged Employer

Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage

Add a Review

Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage Employee Reviews about "high turnover"

Updated Jun 8, 2021

Found 31 of over 834 reviews

3.4
Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage Co-President  Kemper Isely  (no image)
Kemper Isely

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The benefits are great.(in 73 reviews)
  • "Good pay, Upward mobility, instore credit perks with each pay check, lessons on health(in 56 reviews)
  • "The job was fun and people were great(in 46 reviews)
  • "Some of my coworkers were nice and the job itself was pretty easy.(in 35 reviews)
  • "The employees are great!(in 20 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "high turnover"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0

Keep looking

Jul 27, 2019 - Department Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Most store managers are awesome and hard working. There are many fantastic people working at the store level and many opportunities to learn and make friends.

Cons

Do not work for this company unless you want to be treated like expendable livestock by corporate management. They pay poorly compared to their competitors, they run skeleton crews and have wildly unrealistic expectations for their over worked and under serviced employees. Turnover in the Denver metro area is astronomical, there have been many instances of entire management teams walking out. A number of urban locations have out of control safety issues, from theft, to violence and direct threats to employees that corporate does not take seriously. Most of the people at corporate are literally incompetent. You WILL regret choosing this employer over any other grocer. Even safeway treats its employees better.

5 people found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good Culture

Jun 29, 2018 - Good4U Crew
    Business Outlook

Pros

Vitamin bucks Laid back atmosphere Best regional manager I have EVER had This company has morals and high standards for what is carried on their shelves. No inhumane animal husbandry and the list of forbidden ingredients is respectable. I would definitely work for the company again if I had the schedule to be in another position.

Cons

The employee set-up needs some work. If you're anything less than a manager, it means you're spending 8 hours a day at the cash register. It's everyone's least favorite job in the store, people will argue about who has to cover your break. I would have stayed with the company if I had gotten reliable breaks off the register. All 'Good4U Crewmember' means is 'cashier' and if you're lucky you get another cashier working the same shift so you can get a break. Cashier turnover was really high because we'd get burnt out, a lot of my co-workers would just leave without putting in notice which left us short handed constantly.

6 people found this review helpful

Recruiter

Glad you had a positive experience working with us. Our Regional Managers ARE awesome. With added new stores our leaders focus on cross-training in the store, product knowledge, and customer service & leadership training so our good4uCrew members can work their way up, quickly!

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company during CO-VID 19

Oct 4, 2020 - Grocery Manager in Cedar City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Enjoyable work environment. Very supportive and has shown a great deal of appreciation during CO-VID with cash bonuses and medical coverages. A company that has the intimacy of a small company.

Cons

Salaries are lower, but only because of the grocery field and higher rate of turnover.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee

Not good

Jun 8, 2021 - Home Office in Lakewood, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

- You’ll work with some really great people. - Schedule can be fairly flexible depending on your position - Your job will likely be fairly easy. Although this is also a con as if you like to be challenged, you will probably be very bored

Cons

Since no one has posted here about this recent “work log” policy, I will. It’s the biggest load of nonsense ever. They are forcing us to write down in a spreadsheet what tasks we are working on every hour of each day. If you don’t want to be micromanaged like a child I would recommend against working here. They’ve dealt with Covid very poorly. Waited until the last possible minute to allow us to work remotely, brought people back into the office in the middle of the pandemic only to have a couple employees get sick. They proceeded to blame the employees contracting the virus on us for “going out and doing things outside of work”. They also forced some of their employees to work in the stores either full time or on particular days while they sat back and made some serious cash during the pandemic. (They gave us a laughable bonus at our 2020 annual reviews, trickle down economics? Yea OK.) The way work gets completed at the natural grocers offices is incredibly inefficient and results in people lower on the chain of command receiving the blame or having to scramble to fix a mistake because middle management couldn’t bother to review it until the hour before they wanted it ready. Middle management also just bends over and accepts whatever upper management wishes of them, not what is best for the team. There tends to be very low morale and high turnover in lower ranking positions. Basically zero opportunities to learn anything new, you’re mostly just expected to do what is told of you and not have an opinion. The work is mundane, the benefits are lacking, and the office (which you will be working in full time once restrictions are fully lifted) isn’t a nice place to work. In summary, don’t work here unless you need a job.

7 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Be lazy and you'll move up

May 22, 2018 - Assistant Produce Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can work alone if you want or with others it's really up to you. Nobody really checks to see what your doing which leads to problems when lazy employees are just doing nothing all day.

Cons

There's a magic extra dollar they pay you per hour but it's only good in store. They push it like it's a big deal that you get paid to shop there but with prices so high it's pretty useless, I'd rather be paid in real money. The CEO is crazy, short and simple. They have monthly propaganda meetings to brain employees into thinking GMO's are horrible and that organic is the only thing that will save the planet, and no that's no an exaggeration. Everyone is out for themselves from the simple cashier to the district managers. The turnover is high so don't expect to have reliable help for very long. The only consistency is that if you're lazy you have a good chance of moving up. Just always keep talking and you'll move up faster. I've seen the hardest working employee who actually cares and wears her heart on her sleeve get turned down 3 times in a year for Assistant Manager.

10 people found this review helpful

Talent/Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for taking time to give your feedback. This is a family run company that will have some growing pains just like any other company. We appreciate your feedback and will continue to grow with the best interest of our employees in mind.

6. 2.0

Vitamins department in Boulder, CO

Sep 13, 2019 - Customer Service Representative in Boulder, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working with like-minded people who share similar values. The benefits are decent, as well as the discount (mostly for vitamins and body care). There are plenty of learning opportunities.

Cons

Store manager. Some very late nights. Meetings are either very early or very late. The pay is pitiful, almost minimum wage. Lunches are short - 30 minutes just isn’t enough time. Store often understaffed, so we took on a lot more than was fair. Constant turnover due to management and corporate.

4 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Strategist

7. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

This company needs a lot of work

Jun 18, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-nice benefits -vitabucks are cool too -great discounts -great standards -pay is nice

Cons

-store is way too small to keep the amount of people that come in on a day to day basis -seems like we are always purposefully understaffed when busy -software for computers and the registers are incredibly outdated, almost every other day the registers crash or the card readers break -the customer rewards program is a joke, we always get plenty of people who dont understand how it works. Even I dont get it -unbelievably pompous people (customers and coworkers) who act holier than thou for actually being able to afford shopping here - management has been condescending towards me cutting my hours due to school times. -i feel overworked and stressed out -scheduling time off is like pulling teeth with management who seem uppity and cold -there is an extremely high turnover rate -way too expensive product -no opportunity for advancement

9 people found this review helpful

Talent/Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. We have a smaller store size to create a more inviting atmosphere. We offer a community room and a book nook for our customers and employees to feel more at home. We don't have self check out because we want our customer to be helped by a smiling face, not a screen. As we grow we work to make updates to our system that help both the customers and the Good4u Crew.

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Starts out great, but cons outweigh pros over time

Oct 7, 2017 - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Vitamin Bucks are much appreciated - $1/hour in store credit really helps with groceries (though it is taxable income) and the discount and rewards program (it works now!) makes saving money easy - The commitment to the quality of the products they sell is legit - Team members are usually fantastic and make work a lot of fun, even during highly stressful times - The focus on nutrition education is excellent and it's fun to pass that info along to customers, this is definitely a highlight of working here - Easy to move up in the company if you prove yourself up front, there are always opportunities, especially in bigger cities - Customers are usually awesome and pleasant to interact with - Regional managers are friendly and approachable, a good source of information and usually understanding of store frustrations

Cons

- Very little work/life balance if you are a salaried manager - expect to work well over the 45 hours per week you are required - Lack of support from home office when a store is short-staffed, but still not enough labor budget when fully staffed - there's never enough employees to fully get on top of things - No training budget - when they ship away a manager-in-training you have to eat the labor cost in your store - Poor hourly compensation for the job responsibilities, not commensurate with cost of living, especially in bigger more expensive cities, this leads to high turnover - Training is minimal, some basic computer training and then employees are thrown right into the swing of things, you've got to be a fast learner with intuition to succeed - No budget for store decor or display building, managers usually put their own personal money into accomplishing this and it adds up over time - Raises are not retro-paid, if your manager is late delivering your review, you don't get your raise until they finally do - There is a bonus structure in place, but it's all or nothing - if the company as a whole doesn't hit its goal, nobody gets a bonus, even if your store hit all your metrics - 401k is a discretionary match, again if the company doesn't hit goals, no match

20 people found this review helpful

Recruiting Admin

At Natural Grocers we stand by our founding principles. More specifically our commitment to our employees and customers. This is a family run company that will have some growing pains just like any other company. We appreciate your feedback and will continue to grow with the best interest of our employees in mind.

9. 3.0

Review

Dec 9, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

great values, great benefits, will definitely meet great people

Cons

Company turnover in management level is overwhelming. Currently a growing company and so there are a lot of 'growing pains'. To be specific, there are a lot of wonderful ideas thrown out with no longterm plans. Most ideas are overwhelming to the employees without proper training or information to prior to implementation of new jobs to be done. Employees are overworked and burnout quickly.

9 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0

Produce Manager

Oct 2, 2017 - Financial Analyst in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very positive and quick paced work environment.

Cons

There was a very quick turnover with part-time staff.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Recruiting Admin

Thank you for your feed back! We appreciate your enthusiasm and positivity!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 31 Reviews