Natural History Museum (UK) Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Natural History Museum (UK) Museum Director Sir Michael Dixon
Sir Michael Dixon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "NHM"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Natural History Museum (UK) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work weeks, good team and management and a beautiful place to spend a work day.

Cons

During term times, shifts can be few and far between. You are outside as a rover, so in more extreme temperatures it can be hard work. Also my position is a zero hours contract.

Advice to Management

Make sure to make rovers feel part of a team and not on the periphery.

"Good for a short work experience"

Former Contractor - Visitor Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Visitor Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Natural History Museum (UK) as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment.
    Canteen and food price reasonable.
    Beautiful location.
    Training on many different set of skills.
    Some managers are very nice.
    Extremely supportive team workers.

Cons

Low pay.
    Unsafe and hazard situaton (hypothermia; heavy objects).
    "Just sell" work attitude.
    Too many limitations on clothing, personal belongings and facilities to move around the museum (especially now that the Main Hall is shut)
    0 interest in keeping temp staff for career opportunities.
    No notice in ending working relations.

Advice to Management

Pay employees like you really should. RETHINK about the objectives of Visitors' Assistant roles. STOP focusing on solely making money. Provide better kids' activities. DO NOT expose workers to dangerous situations and make them liable!

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I worked at Natural History Museum (UK) (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance is good, and the hours
    Canteen is affordable and the food isn't terrible. So ... yay to that I guess?

Cons

Lack of respect from management/condescending attitude/poor training etc.
    No communication between teams/between management & staff.
    Other teams within the workplace unashamedly and disrespectfully condescend certain other teams.
    At one period our management was firing multiple people without warning and very suddenly, and with no word of what was going on to the team or who was next. It created a terrible atmosphere, and was extremely counter-productive. Absolutely terrible management with no excuse.
    Money-obsessed. Human factor completely removed, it's all about making as much as you can.
    Inconsistent hours. No idea how many days you will work, and the amount week-to-week seems to be random, never based on performance. Similarly, you can be given warnings or even fired for poor performance, even if you've been placed on desks where selling is nigh on impossible. I was slated by a manager for not selling enough when we'd had only one couple pass our desk in that time. That same manager criticised the layout of the promotional items on display and re-organised it by themselves. We didn't move it, and later the manager came back and criticised it again, despite it being left as asked previously. You literally can't win against an outlook that backwards.

So yeah ... shockingly poor, braindead, disrespectful and somewhat dumbfounding management. And the division and apparent dislike between different teams working in the same environment is eye-rollingly stupid.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with some respect. It's not difficult to do. Have some understanding that they want to help and are doing exactly as you ask of them. Understand that some things are out of their control. And most importantly, understand just how unbelievably stupid it is to start firing people without telling anyone what's happening or who's next. It destroys peoples confidence and is entirely counter-productive to your aims for excellent customer service and, more importantly in your eyes, making tons of money. This review will likely be dismissed because of the lower position I held whilst there, but that is the exact problem itself. Get out of your own heads and try cohesion and good work ethics ... it might just help.

4. "Great people, Great place!"

Current Employee - Applications Support in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Applications Support in London, England (UK)

Pros

I never worked in such a great place, lovely people and great atmosphere making me look forward to going to work everyday. I find that all the managers a very approachable and always available to speak and discuss all your problems/worries as well as advice you on the best steps to take to progress towards your career.

For all this years, I was always provided with the possibility of progression as well as training based on all the supported applications and day to day work.

Cons

The only con I find is that the salaries and benefits could be improved, but that can be the same in all the jobs.

"Great place for a short term job to boost your CV but don't stay as you will not progress"

Former Employee - Curator/Researcher in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Curator/Researcher in London, England (UK)

I worked at Natural History Museum (UK) (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, great building, wonderful collections

Cons

Pressure to earn your keep prevents you from doing your core job. Stressful, low pay, very few chances for promotion, which is dependent on how you 'fit in'. Not very diverse workforce except for those in contracted out jobs who are in even lower paid jobs with very poor employment rights/benefits

Advice to Management

Sort out promotion, evaluate all the changes, pay fair rates, cut the steeply rising top pay to individual contractees (senior managers), cut the consultants & don't compromise your values by taking money from anyone.

"Work hard, be ignored, get paid nothing."

Current Employee - Information Technologist in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Information Technologist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Natural History Museum (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with some truly great people, really nice. And the building and location are wonderful, you get free access to everything here, and across most other London museums. Once your'e in, unless you do something catastrophically bad, it's a secure job for life.

Cons

Along with the nice people, you'll be working with some of the most incompetent and bitter people I've ever met. The managers, of which there are many, are paranoid and scared and so spend all the time they have trying to secure their positions. It's a public sector job, in a large institution, and so you can hide here while not doing anything. And that shows, because most people here work maybe 20% of the time, and browse Youtube for the rest. You'll start off full of energy and passion, but it'll leak away as you have to tow the line and produce sub-standard work in order to be on brand. The only way you can last here is to be either useless, or not care at all for what you do.

Advice to Management

Reduce your numbers by 75%, learn what management means, trust the people who do the work, stop hiring in contractors to do work we don't need done, we don't have time to keep fixing it. Train your staff, that does not mean buying books or sending them on vanilla courses meant for human resource teams.