Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County Reviews

Updated Mar 2, 2020

3.8
Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County President and Director  Lori Bettison-Varga (no image)
Lori Bettison-Varga
  1. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Access to new exhibits, great management.

Cons

Few full time positions available.

2. "Great!"

Former Employee - Exhibit Coordinator

I worked at Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County full-time

Pros

Great environment to work in

Cons

I have no negatives or cons

3. "Cultural Arts/Science Center"

4.0
    Former Employee - Vice President, Advancement Services in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very passionate Researchers and Collections Manager, variety of topics and programs, family friendly programming

Cons

Currently in transition with leadership, trying to find stride in organizational structure

4. "Excellent"

Former Employee - Guest Relations in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with and a wonderful museum. Very easy harmonious enviornment

Cons

No Cons at this place

"Great Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Guest Relations Associate

I worked at Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County part-time

Pros

Super fun and welcoming community! I worked there for 3 years and have lots of fond memories

Cons

Crowds can get crazy, especially when there are huge events nearby.

"Amazing Collection, toxic work environment"

2.0
    Former Employee - Collections in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County part-time for more than a year

Pros

The collection is totally awesome, and below major management, all my colleagues were helpful, kind and had incredible expertise. The expertise held in the collections staff really is their greatest asset as a worker, you learn a huge amount through the kindness of your team. Their mission statement seems to be well thought out and appropriate.

Cons

I knew the museum had a bad reputation in museum circles but I took the job anyway, sadly the rumors are true: The biggest con is that there are chronic issues with upper level management to the point where almost no one enjoys their job and regular abuses of power mean that every week you’re seeing lower staff suffering the consequences of the shambolic management. Regular grievances are filed and HR fails to do anything about the bullying culture. It’s absolutely toxic. Lower level management are constantly being overrode by the senior staff which creates a chaotic environment to work in, you never know what mad decision will come down from on high and if you say you don’t agree you get punished. They don’t really support their staff to socialize or work cross collections which also creates a culture of isolation. Wages are extremely low, especially considering the cost of living in LA and the amount of education and experience you need to gain a role there. Not that people go into the museum world for high wages but this, combined with bad working conditions is really terrible. There’s all the usual issues of museum work, little budget, huge amount of work, old tech and Computers.

7. "great place"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow

I have been working at Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County full-time

Pros

nice and friendly work environment ,

Cons

could not think of any

8. "Decent"

Former Employee - Guest Relations

Pros

Some of the employees are quite amazing and knowledgable about various topics and were a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Same boring work, no fair way to advance or to even prove one's capability to handle other responsibilities. Continual gossip within the work place with no privacy and micromanaging from supervisors who were barely doing their own jobs well.

9. "Entomology Department"

Current Employee - Work Study Student in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County part-time for more than a year

Pros

BiOSCAN is inherently a citizen science project. Exciting to be part of a real-time scientific survey. Boss is super flexible with hours. Able to visit the paid-exhibits for free ahead of time!

Cons

Obviously as a work study student, it is difficult to move upwards, but not impossible, to higher positions within the department.

"Great environment to work in, but could use some improvements"

I have been working at Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get to work with some of the coolest objects and with people who are genuinely passionate about their work! You also get to help guests create memories they'll have forever. Great work/life balance.

Cons

It feels like a lot of the commitment to being a museum of, by, and for LA is mostly lip service. They could certainly do a better job focusing on and devoting resources to improving diversity, or highlighting other ways they're executing the strategic plan. Opportunities for career growth are few and far between, if they exist at all.

Found 33 reviews