Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County Reviews

Updated Apr 28, 2021

4.0
Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County President and Director  Lori Bettison-Varga (no image)
Lori Bettison-Varga
  1. 5.0

Research Assistant Position

Dec 13, 2020 - Research Asisitant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours and understanding management

Cons

May be difficult because of physical requirements

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

A truly unhappy working environment

Apr 28, 2021 - Animal Care Specialist (Live Animal Keeper)
    Business Outlook

Pros

Other departments appeared to be full of passionate people who were welcoming to new employees. The museum does interesting work.

Cons

From day one I experienced what I would describe as a sad , often bullying environment fueled by management of the live animal department. I tried my best to have meetings to discuss why this was happening and what I could do to improve the situation but was met over and over again by an overwhelmingly negative response. I watched coworkers get treated condescendingly and watched blame be placed on them for things they did not do. Communication was consistently failure focused. There was no recognition of good work. Instead of helping coworkers learn, often management used sarcasm and bullying vocabulary to shame people for not knowing things that there was no way they could know without training. Having worked at other facilities since, I am only further disappointed by my experience at NHMLA. At no other job before or since have I ever felt so disrespected. I still work in the animal care field and have gone on to manage people myself as I have grown in my career. I often reference my time at NHMLA when I think about how NOT to treat people. I hope things have changed since I left. Please ask management lots of questions about communication and teamwork if you interview here because it is a deep weakness in this department.

3. 4.0

Good experience

Dec 28, 2020 - Guest Relations Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly staff and able to switch schedule through phone app.

Cons

Many part time associates struggled for more hours or to get moved to full time

4. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

NHMLA

Jan 7, 2021 - Education Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working around lots of smart and interesting people, lot of opportunities to learn new things

Cons

PAY - they take advantage of the fact that people are passionate about the work

5. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Positive and fun place to work.

Oct 6, 2020 - Guest Relations Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Passionate and hardworking co-workers that want to help educate visitors.

Cons

Had to stand for long periods of time.

Continue reading
  6. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Well respected company with nice people

Sep 11, 2020 - Administrative Assistant in East Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

nice coworkers well respected company educational / social impact

Cons

location is in south central la

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fun place to work

Mar 2, 2020 - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Access to new exhibits, great management.

Cons

Few full time positions available.

8. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Cultural Arts/Science Center

Jan 23, 2020 - Vice President, Advancement Services in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very passionate Researchers and Collections Manager, variety of topics and programs, family friendly programming

Cons

Currently in transition with leadership, trying to find stride in organizational structure

9. 5.0

Great!

Feb 12, 2020 - Exhibit Coordinator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment to work in

Cons

I have no negatives or cons

10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing Collection, toxic work environment

Nov 19, 2019 - Collections in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The collection is totally awesome, and below major management, all my colleagues were helpful, kind and had incredible expertise. The expertise held in the collections staff really is their greatest asset as a worker, you learn a huge amount through the kindness of your team. Their mission statement seems to be well thought out and appropriate.

Cons

I knew the museum had a bad reputation in museum circles but I took the job anyway, sadly the rumors are true: The biggest con is that there are chronic issues with upper level management to the point where almost no one enjoys their job and regular abuses of power mean that every week you’re seeing lower staff suffering the consequences of the shambolic management. Regular grievances are filed and HR fails to do anything about the bullying culture. It’s absolutely toxic. Lower level management are constantly being overrode by the senior staff which creates a chaotic environment to work in, you never know what mad decision will come down from on high and if you say you don’t agree you get punished. They don’t really support their staff to socialize or work cross collections which also creates a culture of isolation. Wages are extremely low, especially considering the cost of living in LA and the amount of education and experience you need to gain a role there. Not that people go into the museum world for high wages but this, combined with bad working conditions is really terrible. There’s all the usual issues of museum work, little budget, huge amount of work, old tech and Computers.

Continue reading