Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Wonderful experience"

Former Employee - Guest Relations Associate
    Former Employee - Guest Relations Associate

Pros

Wonderful, intelligent like-minded coworkers made this the greatest job I've ever had. The day to day can be a little stagnant, but the people make this place amazing.

Cons

As a non profit, it is hard to make decent money, and advancement opportunities are limited.

"Improper Training"

I worked at Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Obviously, working at a museum is cool.

Cons

Low pay (non profit)
    Poor training
    Not all offices are in areas with well-circulated air or natural light

Advice to Management

Someone working full-time in one of your most profitable departments should make more than $38K a year
    Your managers should be monitored for how they train their staff
    A lot of gossip, and uncomfortable work environment

"Overworked. Underpaid."

I worked at Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most (not all) of the staff were friendly, interesting, and knowledgeable, specifically those toward the bottom of the employee hierarchy. Got to learn a lot about my trade, as well as utilize the knowledge I already had. It was mostly fun talking to guests of all ages about my work.

Cons

Management has their head stuck so far up their rear ends, with a snobby attitude toward people who make up the surrounding communities (mostly low-income working class people of color and immigrants). Routinely had to listen to my managers say disparaging things about those very individuals. This place is NOT accesible to the people who live within minutes of the museum and I saw ZERO effort or interest on the part of management to change that. Again, aside from management, most employees make heartbreakingly low salaries (not enough to raise a family or achieve any sort of life goals). They will work you to the bone, take credit for your work, but will never couple any of that with even so much as a cost of living increase. And last but not least, HR gets away with being abusive to employees total garbage.

Advice to Management

More diversity within all levels of management. Give your kitchen and cleaning staff a living wage. Stop exploiting young people who are passionate about their fields/trades. Make an effort to connect with the local community, instead of being scared of them.

Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County Response

Oct 30, 2017 – Human Resources Specialist

This kind of review is obviously disappointing, as we at the Natural History Museum strive to create a safe and vital work environment and culture for all of our employees and guests. As evidenced by... More

"Manager"

I have been working at Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent colleagues, wonderful institution doing important work you can stand behind, on an upward progression, quality of life valued in many departments.

Cons

Non-profit = low salaries, in some departments not a lot of room for advancement.

"Worked in Guest Relations"

I worked at Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County part-time

Pros

Everyone is like a family, working with a lot of historical items, fairly easy, free access to a lot of things and exhibits

Cons

Guests can be a bit... on their high horses, so to speak; when it gets busy, it's BUSY, but when it's dead, it's boring; lots of drama between departments; lots of meetings but not a lot done or action taken

6. "Manager, Payroll/Human Resources"

Current Employee - Manager, Payroll/Human Resources in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager, Payroll/Human Resources in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Natural History Museum is a wonderful place to work. The scientists are great!

Cons

Limited room for advancement.

Advice to Management

N/A

7. "Undisclosed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing activities emerge from almost every department.

Cons

Promotion is slow and decisions are made quite slowly as they pass down through the approval process.

"Temporary employment"

I have been working at Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County (Less than a year)

Pros

The Research and collection staff are good to work with. They are dynamic and doing interesting scientific research.

Cons

My position is temporary with no possibilities of being permanent.

Advice to Management

get rid of some of the hierarchy.

"Guest Services Associate"

Former Employee - Guest Services Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Services Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the Guest Services staff was really rewarding. The sense of camaraderie was what made the job worth it. I think working with an amazing museum collection was also a lot of fun and I learned a lot about it.

Cons

The pay really wasn't great. It was one of the reasons that I had to leave to pursue other opportunities.

"Nice Place To Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great people to work with, Nice exhibits, Interesting stuff everywhere and really fun events. Most people are here because they love the Institution. Benefits are comparable to private institutions.

Cons

It's a non profit, so it doesn't pay as well as outside companies. There might not be much room for career advancement. merit increases don't match the hard work that you do. There is great deal of red tape which makes getting things done very difficult