NaturalMotion Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Jeff Hickman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/life balance: the leadership of CSR2 always show that the well-being of the team members is highly valued" (in 7 reviews)

• "Great people, great perks, awesome culture and many opportunities" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management make it a habit to pick on junior people and blame them for their strategic mistakes" (in 7 reviews)

• "A lot of good people have left so the company feels like a very different place" (in 3 reviews)

"Love it!!"

I have been working at NaturalMotion full-time

Pros

Really enjoy working here. benefits are up to par, can't complain. life and work balance is fair, never feel overworked. Yes, even with deadlines.

It feels like they are still feeling their way through as a startup. All an all they are headed in the right direction.

Cons

I hate to be honest and say there is no real cons, at least for me.

Only thing that comes to mind is.. training is lacking but nothing serious. you can read-up on most things and people are always willing to help.

"A real shame"

I worked at NaturalMotion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I first started at the company they had big goals, a strong management and leadership team and the ability to follow through. The working environments were great, teams strong and overall feeling was positive and everyone looked up to Torsten and his vision of the company.

Cons

The longer Zynga were involved, the worst things got. The exec team distanced themselves and became passing faves for studio updates and bought very little faith in the future, with all their focus being on the London studio, leaving the people in Oxford feeling left out and disenfranchised. I told they eventually jumped ship entirely, leaving management with terrible people skills and zero ability to inspire. The company then became management heavy with huge trust issues. The talent were no longer trusted and therefore their opinions were ignored, which lead to messy projects and unhappy working environments and work force. Frank Gibeau bought hope, but sadly too late and now news that Oxford is closing when it was once the centre of the whole company. Losing Morpheme is a huge shame and left many people who had been loyal to the company for many, many years without jobs or hope of a future. There is still a great pool of talent there but sadly, management personnel purely out for themselves and not willing to push the ideas that they have and expose that talent.

Advice to Management

You've lost a pool of talent that you'll never get back and I would advise anyone thinking of joining the company to think very very carefully before they do.

"Figuring out their role in the mobile market"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NaturalMotion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*great people; the hiring process is VERY tough- very high standards in the talent they bring on
    *use of proprietary technology to use in mobile games
    *innovation is encouraged

Cons

*disorganized
    *no sense of company culture in the SF studio
    *seem to have a lack of directive in the company's overall mission when it comes to their mobile games in preproduction
    *breakdown in communication between Oxford headquarters and SF studio
    *very small (game) studio here stateside; projects are not given the manpower or resources they need, and the hiring process/ HR is very understaffed as they are split between UK and US needs.
    *minimal benefits (studio is so small, health and dental/vision options are very limited)

Advice to Management

Wish upper management had given the SF studio the resources and manpower it deserved and needed to properly make the games we had been assigned to make. Wish they had 1. had better organization and a solid plan moving forward with their games, and 2. had truly given the SF studio a fighting chance to succeed.

"Challenging and respectful place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Gameplay Programmer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Gameplay Programmer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at NaturalMotion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with very talented people, coming from diverse backgrounds.
    The games are interesting and of high quality.
    The team is professional, respectful, and always aiming for the best result - for our players, for the game, for the job environment.
    No crunch time, the company is very respectful and supportive of employees' personal life.
    Juniors can easily progress in their career and switching job is supported, as I've seen multiple QA employees move onto design or art.

Cons

The career progression can be a bit slow for senior dev positions, as a lot of employees are seniors.
    As it's a "small" company, there isn't that many projects that one can switch to. But this focus can also be considered as a pro.

Advice to Management

Keep working on making NM a great place to work.
    The changes that have been happening over the last year are in the right direction.

"A company that values its employees"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at NaturalMotion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Multi-cultural team: People from CSR2 come from different backgrounds and nationalities. I'm an immigrant from an African country, never had any issue with discrimination and never felt that my origin or nationality is holding me back.

- Work/life balance: the leadership of CSR2 always show that the well-being of the team members is highly valued.

- Creative freedom: Thinking out of the box is encouraged.

- Self directed Fridays: every two weeks you are free to use a Friday as you like. You can add a new feature to the project, do some R&D or learn new skills.

- Free lunch on Fridays.

- Studio location: the studio is in the heart of London.

- Many social activities: Yoga, Cinema...

Cons

I have no major concerns for now.

"Very positive"

Current Employee - UA Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - UA Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at NaturalMotion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance
    Everyday throws up new and interesting challenges
    Lovely office environment

Cons

Training opportunities not always clear

Advice to Management

Regularly update workers on what training opportunities are available
    Put something in place to help new starters settle in and meet colleagues, especially those new to London

May 17, 2018

I love seeing 5* reviews for our studio. I’m biased of course, but think we have made some huge and positive changes for our team over the past 12 months.

We’re really delighted with our Studio... More

"Best games studio I've ever worked for"

I have been working at NaturalMotion full-time

Pros

CSR2 is an amazing game, and once you meet the team working on it you understand the reasons. The team are not scared of pushing the boundaries and always aim for their best.
    The company has been going through lots of changes in the past few months, but overall I consider these to be positive; there is more transparency and better communication, better perks...
    The team culture is excellent, and management really cares about team happiness and feedback.

Cons

Training opportunities and career progression are not always clear, but I know the leadership team is actively working on this.

May 17, 2018

Thanks for leaving such a positive review! We are very proud of our CSR2 team – who are responsible for building the world’s most popular mobile driving game!

We have made lots of changes and I’m... More

8. "A fun, engaging and forward thinking business"

I have been working at NaturalMotion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great perks, awesome culture and many opportunities. I look forward to coming into work each day. The talent here at NM sometimes blows me away. Everyone here works very hard, but we also have a lot of fun too. Its a great social office. We all work hard towards the same common goals and vision. Leadership update us and are visible always. There are lots of opportunities for us to work on our own projects. Its a great place to be!

Cons

Hard to think of one - the only thing i can think of is we need a new website. It does not reflect who we are at all. Don't be put off by it!

Advice to Management

Thank you for being so open and transparent.

"Focused on doing this well with a plan"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at NaturalMotion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture - focused , rewarding , talented
    Products - live success / future innovation
    Leadership - momentum in various areas that are key : Product, Culture and Player experience. Very open to feedback, listen and care that people enjoycoming to work
    Location and office space
    Zynga - as part of a wider org NM benefits from support , systems and bigger peer group learnings/collaboration but also independence

Cons

Org Change - some impact to morale in past around major changes , but a positive focus to grow through change is working well now. Most companies have change at some point it’s how change is communicated and managed that’s key - we can’t avoid change - we live in world of change .

Advice to Management

-Keep up focus on results and innovation
    -Keep momentum for projects/initiatives - Keep caring that your people /teams feel rewarded by their roles , salaries and benefits - with growth in learning and career development a key focus
    - Keep aiming to stand out in the gaming market , in areas like : technology , creativity, fair pay and benefits , opportunities and diversity in workplace

Apr 20, 2018

Thanks for your feedback and for putting your review on Glassdoor, it’s great to hear when people on the team are seeing great things happening in our studios.

The past 12 months have definitely... More

"Poor Communication from the top"

I have been working at NaturalMotion full-time

Pros

Good people 'on the ground'. Work/life balance is good.

Cons

Decisions passed down from Zynga rarely have clarity over why they have been made. Communication, especially over remuneration, is particularly opaque

Apr 20, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. It’s disappointing to hear that your experience of working here wasn’t totally positive.

Myself and the team here work hard to provide regular... More