KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Nautilus Chief Executive Officer James Barr
James Barr

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Products for Consumer well-being. Excellent people-culture and work-life balance!

Jun 28, 2022 - QA Analyst II
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working for a company having products that support Consumer well-being. Excellent people-culture and work-life balance!

Cons

None, really. Ongoing process improvements.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee

Truly cares

Jun 8, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nautilus doesn't just talk about valuing its employees, they take action to show employees they are valued.

Cons

The health insurance package could be better.

3. 2.0

Chaotic & Mismanaged

Jun 16, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Decent people (not management) to work with - Great employee discounts on Nautilus products

Cons

Where to even begin? Compensation is non-competitive, and there is no path for employee advancement. So, turn-over is quite high. High turnover puts way too much pressure on remaining employees, and people who leave can't be backfilled, because we're not willing to offer things like unlimited PTO or remote work that would make the low pay bearable. The company lacks clear strategic vision, and that means it's hard to know if what you're working on matters. The whiplash is tough. Executives are horrifically out of touch, and they actually have offices that are separated from the rest of the company in a little walled-garden area.

5 people found this review helpful
  4. 3.0
    Former Employee

People are fantastic. Toxic Leadership team trying to convince themselves they know what they're doing.

May 20, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Passionate co-workers who really care about what they do and have sustained the business through multiple business cycles. Working for a company that truly can make a positive impact in people's lives. Gym on location.

Cons

The CFO. Easily the most ineffective leader I have ever had the misfortune of working with. Operates by demeaning employees, overloading them with work with unrealistic timelines, and playing favorites. Single handily responsible for an unhealthy level of employee attrition. Additionally, it's not a good look when there are new performance metrics created for earnings calls to hide the fact that the YoY comp isn't good. In good times and bad times, the merit pool for increases is always the same. Rank and file employees get their ~3% while the Executive Team gets their 10% (check the SEC filings). CFO ensures all areas stick to their merit budget, but signs off on the Finance & Accounting department exceeding their allotted budget. Long-term employees, who have grown within the company, are grossly underpaid when compared to external hires. The level that the Executive team drinks the Kool-Aid is transparent to all employees and not well-received. When the SVP of Innovation repeatedly states we have a 'better offering than Peloton,' no-one actually believes that. The CIO who they brought in to develop the digital offering has 'contributed' a few subpar opinions in Forbes articles on LinkedIn, but hasn't made any significant contributions to his actual job to justify his $350k annual salary and didn't help maintain an increase in the DTC channel that was handed to him since he 'created a few websites' in his past. Quick to pat each other on the back when the COVID surge temporarily covered-up the very real and serious business problems. Ego & mismanagement at the top setting things up for the next cratering in the business.

9 people found this review helpful

Nautilus Response

Thank you for your feedback. We wanted to take a moment to share how pay and raises are determined at Nautilus. We work with a company called Radford. They are a worldwide compensation benchmarking and analysis consultancy. They help us determine what the market competitive salary ranges should be for all positions. They also inform us what other companies are doing for annual merit budgets. Nautilus, Inc. is focused on providing a competitive total rewards package for our employees. As far as the size of raises over the last several years, Radford benchmarking data shows that the average budget increase range for US companies has been 3-3.5% . Raises are allocated based on merit. That means that based on performance, some individuals may get more than the budget range while others get less. We work hard to be fair and follow market trends when making salary increase decisions. We also look at internal pay equity to ensure we are compliant and applying equal standards across the company. We are lucky to have an organization filled with talented individuals that drive our amazing culture, one that we are very proud of.

5. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Beware: they'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today

Jun 27, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Several departments work from home -Okay benefits package available at 30+ hours per week -Collaborative interactions within your department, friendly coworkers -Okay base-pay -Equipment provided

Cons

TLDR: -No interdepartmental communication -Poorly trained, passive aggressive management -Hiring freeze, layoffs, and withholding raises due to budget cuts (yet the CEO gets a raise) -Terrible hours/shift options -Hard to balance workload -Equipment provided is a lottery if what you will get actually works or not -Ableist -No upward mobility options Almost no communication between departments makes any aspect of doing your job difficult. Sales does not know how to do things customer service does, customer service does not know how to do things order management does, etc. Any form of communication is done through cases and takes days to get any sort of reply/resolve. Extremely inconvenient. Management is an absolute joke. Most supervisors are completely incompetent and poorly trained. It's very clear most of them have never had any sort of management experience. Not a single manager in my department can explain any of the metrics our performance is scored on or how they're calculated. The company is very clearly going to start purging and doing layoffs. There is currently a hiring freeze until at least the end of the quarter, and our performance raises are being paid out as (direct quote from management) "an I.O.U." next quarter as a lump sum instead of being added to our hourly wages. They just laid off all of the temps in my department and got rid of all incentive programs for extra pay that make this job bearable (attendance bonus, performance bonus, etc). I don't foresee good things for this company. This screams mass layoffs are coming. This company loves to talk about work/life balance but they're refusing to do a summer shift bid so we're all stuck on our 12-hour a day shifts from the holiday season when we were swamped and understaffed, and instead of restructuring and offering part-time shifts for the people that want them, they're just offering occasional VTO but only if you're a high performer. If you're not on the phone, you're not doing your job, even though there are things we need to be off the phones to do to, you know, do our jobs. We're not given allotted time to complete tasks that require us to be unavailable but we're expected to complete these tasks anyway. In the last pay period, I missed over a week's worth of work, unpaid, due to technical issues the company failed to resolve in a timely fashion. They do not provide people across the same department with the same equipment and several people have continual issues due to everyone having different machines. IT is mostly useless in resolving issues beyond "did you turn it off and turn it on again" and will often tell you even if an issue is recurring, if it's not happening right that second they can't do anything about it. Several of us lost out on pay and were then forced to use our PTO bank for issues that were the fault of the company.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Former Employee

Flexable

May 12, 2022 - Customer Service Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home provides equipment Supportive

Cons

little control over schedule. High call volume

7. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good to work for

May 11, 2022 - Clamp Operator in Groveport, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people and good work

Cons

Getting up early and dealing with drivers

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Well-known fitness company with potential

Apr 29, 2022 - Direct Sales in Vancouver, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work/Life Balance, benefits, stock purchase plan, 401K match

Cons

Ability to keep up with fitness trends

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not the best place for Accounting/Finance professionals

May 30, 2022 - Finance/Accounting
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits (PTO, 401k, Etc) Great co-workers (not upper management)

Cons

The pay is bad. When you realize how much the C-suite’s are making, it’s just insulting since they aren’t driving any real positive change. C-Suites seem to be convinced that the pandemic jump in business was their doing, as if the company won’t be right back to where it started after all this settles down. Look at the quarterly reports now vs. height of the pandemic or the stock price from 2019 vs now. Pay and workload don’t make sense and the people driving the real change are being short-changed. CFO is not someone you work with, only someone you work for. She will degrade employees. She’s disrespectful, over paid, uninvolved, and a prime example of what normal, everyday people think of the corporate world. In my time here I watched a surprising amount of very intelligent professionals leave the team, take that as you will. If you speak with them you realize it wasn’t due to the “great resignation.” Pay, organization, workload and the CFO. Individuals who’ve been with the company for over a decade have now left, that doesn’t happen if the company takes care of you and the executives treat you with respect.

5 people found this review helpful

Nautilus Response

Thank you for your feedback. We wanted to address how pay raises are determined at NLS. We put a lot of thought and effort into our total compensation package. In determining pay for roles and total rewards, we work with a company called Radford. They are a worldwide compensation benchmarking and analysis consultancy. They help us determine what the market competitive salary ranges should be for all positions, as well as keep us informed as to what most companies are doing for annual merit budgets. Nautilus, Inc. is focused on providing a competitive total rewards package for our employees.

10. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good company, some nice people but could be better.

Apr 11, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance, can make your own hours within reason. And company seems to care for employees.

Cons

Negative/unprofessional team members low-medium pay heavy work load

2 people found this review helpful

Nautilus Response

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are trying hard to have a good work life balance and show that we do care for our employees. I'm sorry that you have encountered negative/unprofessional team members. We have heard from employees that workload is too heavy. We are investing quite a bit in streamlining a lot of our processes and implement new tools to make Team Nautilus even better!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 135 Reviews

Nautilus Reviews FAQs

Nautilus has an overall rating of 3.2 out of 5, based on over 146 reviews left anonymously by employees. 48% of employees would recommend working at Nautilus to a friend and 42% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -15% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Nautilus employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Nautilus. This rating has decreased by -26% over the last 12 months.

48% of Nautilus employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Nautilus 3.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.5 for culture and values and 2.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Nautilus to be senior leadership, benefits, culture and the cons to be compensation, career development, management.

Popular Careers with Nautilus Job Seekers