Nautilus Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nautilus CEO Bruce M. Cazenave
Bruce M. Cazenave

"Nautilus - Where is it headed?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

Pros

Premier company with the best brands in the fitness equipment industry. The Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA area is a great place to live. The quality of life and affordability are excellent. Great schools in the area and easy access to the city and outdoor activities.

Cons

Incompetent management. Without question lacking in the ability to formulate a comprehensive company strategy and execute to deliver on its promises to its employees or customers.

Advice to Management

There have been far too many company lay-offs when the focus should be on the management team running the organization. Nautilus' issues can simply be solved by cutting costs. You are running out of people to lay-off!

"Company isn't doing as well as it use to"

Former Employee - Sales in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was a strong company back 2001

Cons

It's management need's a lot of work but they hire good people

"ABUSIVE OPERATIONS SR. MANAGER BEWARE"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were awesome.

Cons

In the Operations department, the management (female) is a bully, abusive, and just an overall awful person. I was set up to fail with zero training (1 day collectively). Unrealistic expectations. Expected to work hours and hours of overtime, despite the time of day (emails in the middle of the night) with NO compensation, in fact I was denied time off saying the weeks of overtime I put in were expected with the job, despite the first month saying it would be considered "equal PTO". I would often receive emails or texts between 10pm-2am, consequences if I did not respond in a timely manner, prior to the work day. HR, little to no help.
    This is not coming from an angle of a disgruntled employee, I have been in the admin working field for 30+ years, I have never encountered a "manager" that is allowed to operate in this manner or to this degree. Her life is her work and therefore expects yours to be as well. Think twice about accepting work in this department, other than the rest of the co-workers here being wonderful. Come to find out, I was the 7-8th person to have this job in less years, what does that tell you?

Advice to Management

Although your Operations Manager is a valuable asset to the company, she is a horrible, abusive boss. I thought you had a "bullying" policy in affect? The entire Operations Department has witnessed and is well aware of it. It's only a matter of time before there are legal consequences to her treatment of employees, colleagues, and affiliates. Complaints by all, internally as well as ex. This is a train wreck waiting to happen, again, perhaps you should take a look at how many people have come and gone under her direction in a very short amount of time.

"Terrible IT team"

Former Employee - Security Analyst in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Security Analyst in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. You will learn nothing. The tools available are terrible and management doesn't care.

Cons

Your career will stall due to the terrible IT department and management.

Advice to Management

Stop being self absorbed idiots. Oh wait you cant because you think you know everything despite sucking at IT.

Nautilus Response

Aug 29, 2016

We appreciate your feedback and are sorry you feel this way about your experience. Nautilus strives to have a positive and productive environment for all of our employees. If you would like to ... More

"Forewarned is forearmed, right?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

Pros

There is some transitory pride in telling people you work for Nautilus, because it is a nationally-recognized brand. The building is oversized and impressive; just try driving past with a friend from out of town without pointing to the flags and saying "I work there."
    Employees and their spouses have access to the large fitness center on site. In addition to the usual health insurance and 401k type benefits, several local vendors offer small discounts (5-10%) for Nautilus employees. If you want to buy fitness equipment, the employee discount is significant (50-60%). Depending on your department, time off can be flexible.
    Each fresh, new face keeps hope alive that someday the corporate culture can change into something healthy.

Cons

The company as a whole is disorganized and communication is dismal: one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing. Nobody seems to have (or care about) a grasp of the big picture. Computer systems are haphazard, and departments that should be closely related don't speak to each other.
    The atmosphere continues to be vicious, even a year after the departure of the toxic former CEO. There is still no sense of community or team effort. In some departments, managers focus on what is best for themselves, and don't bother to train, support or teach their reports. Throughout middle management, there is a lot of infighting, backstabbing, namecalling, and use of aggressive and dishonest tactics to elbow out their peers.
    Rolling layoffs and perceived secrecy from above keep everyone on edge.
    In this corporate culture, you can just imagine the chances that your manager has time to recognize your value. (Heaven forbid he/she does, because then you will present a mild threat.)
    On the plus side, if you can call it a plus, you develop thick skin after awhile.

Advice to Management

Please sell the company to good, honest people. Attitude comes from the top.

"They fire people for no reason at all"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay for sales employees

Cons

They have a large turn over of good employees

Advice to Management

Keep Good Employees employed- check out why the manager wants to fire an employee

8. "great place to work and learn"

Pros

great place to work and learn

Cons

less salary more work you have to do

"Don't jump into murky water...thoroughly check it out before you launch into it!"

Former Employee - Customer Care Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Care Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

Nautilus has a very nice, clean, well-kept work location. It's convenient and is in a great community; with great access because it's close to nice neighborhoods, schools, shopping, etc. There is a sense of pride that comes from working in that location because like the other reviewer wrote, I challenge any employee to drive pass the impressive flagged entry and not say, "I work there!"

There is a wonderful free gym with all the latest equipment and beautiful outdoor facilities such as the artificial turf football and softball fields and basketball courts. They used to subsidize personal training expenses but personal trainers are no longer available.

The benefits seemed competitive. The employee discount on product is quite generous (typically better than 50% off MSRP).

They used to have an onsite employee cafeteria but I've heard it's closed.

Several individual managers do seem to genuinely care about their employees and are great to work for. Some are loyal, trusting and fun. I had the opportunity to work with a lot of great people over the years.

There is a lot to learn. It is a fast-paced environment and it was never boring. I was challenged and I felt that my contributions made a difference in many ways.

Cons

The company has been losing money for some time now and continues to make cuts to decrease expenses. Employees are constantly asked to do more for same compensation, while senior management typically beef up their wallets and provide no real unified direction. At one time, I could fault them for trying to be too many things, to too many people, but now it's hard to tell what they want to be.

The Oracle JD Edwards computer system they migrated to a couple of years ago is not user-friendly and while is robust for other company needs, it fails on many levels for delivering customer service. It is very inefficient and cumbersome and is not adequately supported by the IT dept. It takes minutes to deliver service to customers that should take seconds. Customer service is generally an after-thought and the company has historically focused more on the top-line sales which is what put them into this financial crunch.

The left hand does not know what the right hand is doing despite an overabundance of meetings. Meetings may have outcomes or action items, but they are not well communicated or followed through upon in a timely manner. Overall, the company is very poor at communication. Employees rely on email communication and tend to copy everyone-and-their-brother for cya purposes so email is out of control.

Not all call center employees are bad, some are great, but it's more of an atmosphere where a few bad apples spoil the bunch -- too many of them are sleeping with each other and gossiping rather than focusing on work. Since call center calls are recorded, they avoid being caught by rampant and inappropriate communication via a company resource: Microsoft Communicator instant messaging. Many are young, uneducated, and professionally and emotionally immature. Starting wage is about $11/hour, and it doesn't attract enough qualified, educated candidates.

The split to individual channels causes disfunction, inefficiencies and lack of cooperation between departments. The business is disjointed now and people are constantly looking over their shoulder. Senior management is secretive and there is a general distrust in the air. Employee morale is atrocious.

There have been opportunities to advance but perhaps are a bit pawn-like, especially with all the business changes, so sometimes one is subject to where management wants to place you next. Just be sure they don't over-promise and under-deliver. If you can't get it in writing, then don't trust that it will happen. There is little succession planning and based on the on-going changes, it would be hard to lay out a definitive career path. There are possible long-term opportunities if company completes turnaround, but one would have to be particular about where one wants to be long-term and be very patient.

There is little to no brand management which is too deplorable considering they have some of most widely-recognized brands.

There is too little focus on Quality. If they shored up some of the quality issues, then there would be less warranty claims and returns. Taking products too quickly too market and not adequately field testing causes these results.

PTO is use it or lose it and does not get paid out when departing employment.

I could go on, but in summary, Nautilus is a perfect business case study. If only someone would figure it out in the short term. Despite its issues, I think long-term, this is a VERY viable company and if I could see them making a comeback with the right leadership, I would work there again.

Advice to Management

Be serious about brand management. Get out of the ivory tower and get down in the trenches and listen to what employees and customers are saying. Engage senior management in a unified vision. Share that vision with employees and rebuild trust.

"keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fun, busy work. Great co-workers, nice work environment, great CEO, Decent benefits. Very flexible schedule in my department. Paid holidays were nice.

Cons

Upper management in my department was not at all personable or approachable. They like to take the credit for the work others did. Pushed their "dirty" work on to others. Right hand does not know what the left is doing. Conflicting information given depending on who you asked. Too many switching of positions without talking to those affected by the changes. Don't like it? Too bad so sad attitude.

Advice to Management

Get your act together, get off the power trip and start being nice to those who are under you. This would be a great company- but a few bad apples do spoil the bunch.

"Great commission, but a very hostile environment to work in."

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best commission I ever made was working at Nautilus as a Sales Professional. They did not micro manage you and you can build up your own good customer loyalty. I believed in the products and really liked helping customers with their fitness needs. Great benefits.

Cons

The company values were very disappointing. They had no loyalty for seniority and did not care how many years you worked for the company as far as status goes. They treated every employee (in the sales department) as though they could easily be replaced. Poor leadership is what made me leave in the long run, even though I thoroughly enjoyed my job.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is: If you want to break away from creating a "hostile environment" (in the sales floor), you need to stop routing calls to your favorite employees. The hostility will not stop until everyone has a fair chance on the sales floor. For those few employees who are not skilled in sales, place them on Performance Plans and move on. Simple as that! This is coming from someone who was one of your Top performers and number 1 in sales for many years. Had all the sales calls been routed fairly, I would not have had to voice my discontentment and things might have turned out differently for me and many of your other Top performers whom expressed the same concerns and ultimately left the company. Listen and learn from this that is if you care anything about the future of your company.