Navarro Research and Engineering Reviews | Glassdoor

Susana Navarro-Valenti

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "HR Generalist"

I have been working at Navarro Research and Engineering full-time

Pros

Great People to work with

Cons

Unknown political climate in air.

2. "Micromanaging and frustrating"

Current Employee - Environmental Scientist II in Grand Junction, CO
    Current Employee - Environmental Scientist II in Grand Junction, CO

I have been working at Navarro Research and Engineering full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Managers are mostly supportive of employees, company is likely to continue to win valuable contracts, managers and employees are very committed to conducting work safely.

Cons

Senior managers micromanages everything, somewhat cheap on salary and benefits, extremely poor employee recognition, very little chance for advancement. Extremely poor facilities and lack of office space. Extremely slow HR, and senior management.

3. "incompetent managers"

I have been working at Navarro Research and Engineering full-time

Pros

office is close to home

Cons

The program manager has no respect for the personnel that have been on the project for many years. Just because he did not like a manager, he took him out of the manager position and put another person in a high-level position who had no idea of what the project involved. And if anyone complains about the lack of experience, nothing is done because then the program manager would have to admit that he made a mistake.

Advice to Management

Put competent people into manager positions.

"It's just not a good company to work for."

I worked at Navarro Research and Engineering full-time

Pros

Like others have said, they let most of us keep our jobs

Cons

They hired a bunch of middle managers who really need to read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" . The new manager at my site was, and from what I hear still is, obsessed with doing everything by the book, has no visible people skills, and is directly responsible for shedding a great deal of the better employees. The good ones got out, leaving the dead wood behind. They're still losing people there. The pay and benefits where well below the areas norm, which wasn't great to begin with. They offered no training, treated their employees as adversaries, and had many problems with simple things, like keeping their time card site up.

Advice to Management

Again, as someone else commented, get rid of the ball busters, they're really messing up the contract. I hear the customer has noticed, and is unhappy.

"Mom and pop shop pretending to be a legit small business"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Navarro Research and Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They provide employees insulated coffee cups with lids!

Cons

The company seems to be a few days slow responding to any employee needs, and I am referring to basic things such as health insurance information, human resources info, retirement. They often state they will have something done by X date and then have to retract this as the leadership is completely unprepared to deliver by X time.

Advice to Management

Don't overestimate your capabilities. Don't make promises you can't deliver. Say "our goal is to have X done by Y date" not "we will have X done by Y date" if you are not completely sure you can deliver.

6. "Federal Contractor"

Current Employee - Sampling Scientist in Grand Junction, CO
    Current Employee - Sampling Scientist in Grand Junction, CO

I have been working at Navarro Research and Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Navarro encourages employee development and growth, and furthering education. Opportunities are often filled from within.

Cons

Navarro's education reimbursement plan is minimalist, more than half the costs come out f my pocket.

"Poorly managed"

Current Employee - Professional
    Current Employee - Professional

Pros

Beautiful part of the country. They pay us on time although their payroll system was messed up for months. Some good people from previous contracts still around. Excellent recruiter and administrative assistance, although sparse.

Cons

Disorganized. Navarro doubled its size with this contract, but did not add human resource, administrative, supervisory, or technical editing employees/freelancers to help. Lack of direction and appropriate control from the top down. Little information flows from the main boss to the rest of the folks on the contract. Too secretive when we need information to do our work. Too much reviewing of work after it is done rather than before it is started. This causes delays in getting projects and reports done. The company does not seem to want to hear feedback from employees. It hires managers who threaten employees rather than empowering them or providing support.
    Long-term employees are leaving to earlier-than-preferred retirement or other jobs or no jobs. Temps or new hires show up without warning. Boss may not show up and does not tell us.

Advice to Management

Accept feedback from your employees. Do not assume you have all of the answers, especially since you do not. Trust your professionals and people who have been doing their work for many years. Train the supervisors in supervisory skills. Include current employees in your plans so they buy in. Learn humility. Encourage employees to speak up when they see something needing improvement. Stop hiring people from other failed projects. Encourage teamwork.

"Horrible company"

Pros

They let most of us keep our jobs.

Cons

Horrible management and decision making. Can't get simple things like billing and time charging right. Have yet to get PTO deducted correctly, so nobody knows how much time they have off. The owner and her newly hired cohort can do no wrong and are hiring people with known history of verbal abuse to bust heads in an already sketchy environment. Refused to honor previously agreed salary requirements based on standard market rates. Have new hired management scrutinizing everyone's time in/out and conversations with no regard to the subject matter or personal issues.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the ball-busters you just hired. People are afraid to come to work, and less projects are already getting done due to an excess of paperwork. Don't take it out on employees because you bid too low on the contract, and get rid of some of your 6 figure new-hire employees instead of looking for reasons to fire those who have been here since the beginning of the project.

"Realty Specialist"

Current Employee - Realty Specialist in Grand Junction, CO
    Current Employee - Realty Specialist in Grand Junction, CO

I have been working at Navarro Research and Engineering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They offer a lot of training and travel opportunities. The pay is semi-competitive.

Cons

All employees are easily replaceable and under valued for their knowledge, skills, and abilities.

Advice to Management

As knowledgeable members of your team, show more respect and appreciation for the people who get the job done and make you look good to Dr. Susana Navarro.

"THEY are here for the cash, you are just a cog"

Pros

The good thing is the upper management is so lazy and doesn't care about you that in general they never know what you are doing.

Cons

You are only on their payroll for a few years at max, so they care less about you and it really shows:
    Horrendous pay
    No raises despite promises
    Got gov contract just because female minority - sad but true
    Very little vacation

Advice to Management

Don't kick out mid level managers that have been there for years just because you want the big office or special parking spot