Navigant Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

1.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Navigant Chairman and CEO Julie M. Howard
Julie M. Howard

Pros
  • Navigant does a pretty good job of creating a culture that supports a sustainable work-life balance, which isn't common in management consulting (in 58 reviews)

• Good work-life balance, smart people (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The company could do a lot more to support a healthy work life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours, work can be dull at times (in 28 reviews)

"Limited Opportunities For Growth"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Navigant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The salary was good and the yearly bonus was decent. Good benefits and you have the opportunity to work with some very smart and talented individuals

Cons

If you are hired onto a team where the leadership (I.e. Director/Managing Director) is not transparent in regards to the project pipeline then you will fill like you're just flying by the seat of your pants. There is a lot of favoritism exercised which causes further division amongst team members. There is no collaboration or,opportunities to work on cross/multi function teams.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and provide a realistic state of the union view. Layoffs or downsizing of teams can be avoided if lower level staff (i.e. MC's, SC's) are allowed to participate in sales presentation and provide leads for future opportunities. Don't stifle the growth of your staff but instead utilize mechanisms and incentives that will tap into uncharted potential and help drive new business

"Very "Hit or Miss""

Former Employee - Healthcare Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Healthcare Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Navigant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the very few positive consequences of working here is that it teaches you how to work with discipline, stay organized, and pay attention to detail. Skills that are not necessarily mastered in school. Pretty simple interview process is also a plus.

Cons

Below-than-average consulting pay, awful middle management, and office culture vastly different from hub to hub. You are over-promised a lot during the interview process i.e. opportunities for professional development and meaningful projects that are catered to your skill sets. I can't believe how many people I have talked to after I left Navigant that shared common themes: heavy micromanagement, managing consultants with a superiority complex, mundane projects, and a tough political culture. My best recommendation is for any new grad (Bachelor's or Master's) to avoid this place (I can only speak to the healthcare sector). If you are interested in being a management consultant in the healthcare industry, only seek opportunities at Navigant AFTER you gain additional experience elsewhere and AFTER you have thoroughly networked to ensure that the team you are joining is supportive of your professional desires. There are many other consulting firms out there that will instill more trust and invest more resources into you. While I was at Navigant, I have never felt so professionally defeated. And I know several others that share the same sentiment. Since then, I have joined another healthcare consulting firm and could not be happier.

Advice to Management

Managing Directors and Directors should be much more careful about screening their managing consultants on their leadership. Not all smart, tech-savvy individuals make great leaders and project managers.

3. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Navigant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Allow personal and professional growth. Variety of work assignments. Benefit package is very nice

Cons

Large company so the workers can get lost in the mass. Lot of levels to get thru to determine the needs for the job.

Advice to Management

Maintain relationships with workers

4. "Keep Looking"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Navigant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

On first glance this company seems to have values and commitment to employees. They encourage volunteer activities for community events.

Cons

Working as a remote employee you do not get to share in the "company culture" and you are subjected to the mercy of your managing director.

Advice to Management

Stop all the silos. You need to be better at creating the company culture that can spread out to your remote employees and have more opportunities to be engaged with the company.

5. "Good learning experience"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Navigant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

gave me a lot of autonomy to work on projects and learn. Was able to write memos, work on financial models,and have client interaction from day 1.

Cons

many different bosses, lack of organizational clarity at times. Were some sharp personalities in the group. Were some efforts at training, but quickly forgotten when we got busy.

Advice to Management

Integration of the different groups seemed to be a challenge at times. Navigant has grown largely through acquisition and it is a constant effort to align all these formerly disparate groups.

Navigant Response

Sep 15, 2014 – Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your experience at Navigant. Feedback such as this is important as we continue to grow in the future.

6. "Could be a great Company"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great teams
    National and International Market for Work
    Great reputation in Dispute Industry

Cons

Overachiever employees consistently unrewarded
    Poor Bonuses
    Company does NOT follow its internal published Bonus/Reward program
    Office layout/size hinder team performance

Advice to Management

Value your team - you are selling our experience
    Don't be surprised with massive resignations with better economic times

7. "Good Company, bad times"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

provides a great learning experience, there's a really friendly culture, the office is really nice, the business development budget is huge, lots of happy hours after work which kept morale high

Cons

The type of work you had to do was sometimes almost insulting (you felt like a monkey could do it). Great assignments only came along every now and then. This was likely due to the crummy economic times, however

Advice to Management

The whole company would be better off if the management was more discerning in hiring decisions.