Navigant Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Navigant Chairman and CEO Julie M. Howard
Julie M. Howard

Pros
  • Navigant does a pretty good job of creating a culture that supports a sustainable work-life balance, which isn't common in management consulting (in 58 reviews)

• Good work-life balance, smart people (in 25 reviews)

Cons

1. "Revenue Cycle Management Consultant"

Current Employee - Revenue Cycle Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Revenue Cycle Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Navigant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New location at 150 N. Riverside Plaza.

Good Culture - fun, young people.

Actively hiring people right now - looking to expand the healthcare consulting practice substantially.

Cons

Pay seems to be lower than average for Management Consulting.

Navigant is public, lots of politics.

A lot of people have a "grind until you burn out mentality"

Advice to Management

Increase compensation standards.

2. "Exciting time to be part of Navigant"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

- Growing firm with big aspirations for growth
    - Leadership team has done a fantastic job identifying areas/industries for growth and opportunity
    - As an employee, I feel informed and engaged in contributing the Firm’s success
    - Colleagues are intelligent, hard-working, and senior leaders are truly engaged in the work we do for clients, setting a tenacious/hard-working tone for their direct

Cons

- Workload can ebb and flow, just like any other large corporation
    - Occasionally difficult to maintain connections with global offices

Advice to Management

- Continue to reward hard work
    - Be transparent about opportunities for growth (or lack thereof)

3. "Energy"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Navigant (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very interesting projects and clients

Cons

People can get typecast in specific roles, so it's up to each employee to make their career

"Associate Director - Healthcare"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Both pros and cons will be somewhat dependent upon your practice and group. With that in mind, the biggest pros of the company / healthcare practice include:

1. Sufficient size to reel in interesting projects. The healthcare practice wasn't necessarily doing eight-figure projects for top-5 health systems, but they were doing large engagements for recognizable regional and national brands. I believe they're still one of the top five healthcare practices in the country, measured in revenue.

2. Reasonable billable hours targets. Targets for analysts/senior analysts were 80%+, MCs 75% and ADs 70%. If you did good work, and hit your targets you were rewarded with good reviews and timely promotions. This translated into average workweeks under 50 hours and little weekend work if you were smart about it.

3. Work-life flexibility. Provided you were receiving good reviews, there were minimal face time expectations. My team and I basically worked until the work was done. It's consulting, so that's 12 hours some days. But it's also 5 hours some days, and nobody expected you to make it look like you were working 12 hours those days. Opportunity to work remotely as needed (MC and below) or permanently (AD and above).

4. Great training ground with good exit opportunities. Other than one super-talented employee who I think sold himself short when he left, those who left our group took good jobs that were good career moves, myself included.

5. Office culture can be a pro, can be a con. Varies significantly from group to group, practice to practice. When I started, I had a couple people who relayed cautionary tales about Navigant from different practices, and I'm glad I chose to ignore them. Once established I found it easy to positively influence the office culture for my group.

6. Within my practice, travel was limited to 2-3 days a week for Directors, 1-2 days a week for ADs, ~1 day a week for MCs and <1 day a week for SCs. YMMV, but this can be a real perk in consulting.

7. Other pros that are present in most consulting firms but no less true at Navigant, including working with smart people; learning analysis, project management, etc; fast paced environment; quality managers for whom you like to work and who will develop you (though not everybody); etc.

Cons

1. Compensation is reflective of the lower billable hour targets. It's consulting, so the pay is still good relative to other jobs, but probably lower than peer firms, especially after bonus. Makes barriers to exit relatively low.

2. Nothing formalized for professional development. Employees receive an evaluator (or whatever the position has since been renamed) to whom they may have no working exposure over the course of a review period. No formal or prescribed one-on-one cadence. All but the best self starters run the risk of receiving insufficient guidance when starting out. Work was in process to improve this when I left, but it's still a deficiency. Also probably a step below MBB, Deloitte, etc. in terms of training rigor. If you want to be better at excel than your buddy at BAML, look elsewhere.

3. Quality of life can vary group to group, practice to practice. Tough to tell before you start what type of group you'll find yourself in, but not every group adheres to the corporate billable hour targets or understands interests in your life beyond work.

4. The healthcare practice was reorganized on a monthly basis. This was less a con than it was just plain annoying.

5. Other cons that are present in other consulting firms but no less true at Navigant, including ebbs and flows to workload, including some weeks with long hours in crunch time; turnover of your favorite people (which, when embraced, can mean new favorite people); managers you don't like to work for (though not everybody)

Advice to Management

Formalize basic professional development processes, especially for newcomers. Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing. You've created a good environment for people who want to be in consulting and work hard on interesting projects, but want a few waking hours to pursue other interests.

Navigant Response

Sep 7, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

We appreciate your detailed review of working at Navigant. We are happy that you had a great experience!

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Competitive Salary
    Great Team of Smart Individuals

Cons

None that I can think of

7. "Healthcare Review"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Navigant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Support is strong for learning and professional development as well as existence of a strong office culture (if you go regularly)

Cons

There is difficulty rolling off long term engagements and very little clarity into the performance management process and results relative to peers

Advice to Management

Support new and/or younger directors in sales and staffing.

"Terrible Situation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Navigant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid more than any other job I'd had before

Cons

Insane workload yet still expected perfection, I was even told several times that I had to be superwoman to do this job yet no steps were taken to help fix the situation, had unrealistic timelines, coworkers both within my department and especially outside my department can best be described as "cold" so the culture is terrible. Worst job I've ever had, didn't even stay a year.

Advice to Management

There's fast-paced and then there's light speed. Slow down a little.

9. "Navigant Consulting"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Navigant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong team culture, interesting work, subject-specific (not general firm), do not travel often

Cons

Lower salary compared to other top consulting firms

10. "Good company"

Current Employee - Senior Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Navigant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home 2 days a week. Good benefit and compensation. Fast decision making.

Cons

Mist of coworkers are working remote. Lots of meetings and emails

Advice to Management

Nothing at the moment

"So/so"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Navigant full-time

Pros

Supports women in leadership, forward thinking with acquisitions, always looking to grow their business, stays relevant in marketplace with new offerings

Cons

Very unfair with who can have certain benefits such as telecommuting and promotions, micromanaging and extremely critical of employees that are not high ranking, cliquish