Navigant Reviews | Glassdoor

Navigant Reviews

Updated April 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Navigant does a pretty good job of creating a culture that supports a sustainable work-life balance, which isn't common in management consulting (in 57 reviews)

• Good work-life balance, smart people (in 25 reviews)

1. "Decent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Navigant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial environment. Great camaraderie. Good work life balance. Happy employees.

Cons

Not enough work projects. Demands on sales and billing. Certain leaders are not meritocracy based.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire well qualified people. Do not allow nepotism or legacy folk to remain in the company if they are not adding new value.

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

Great mid-size consulting firm. Young co-workers and a good place to start your career in finance/consulting. Office is brand new and in a great location.

Cons

Work environment is a bit cold. Everyone mostly keeps to themselves throughout the day. Office politics like everywhere can be tense.

Advice to Management

Communication within project groups could be better.

Sep 7, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for leaving a review about your experience at Navigant.

"Good quality of life, low salaries"

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Navigant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really smart people, about half of whom are taking a pay cut to work on interesting projects and have a good work-life balance. These people are great to work with, smart, driven, and similar to those you'd see at another management consultancy.

Cons

Pay is low compared to peer companies, low level employees are only incentivised to meet utilization targets, not do great work.

Advice to Management

Restructure employee evaluation process. Provide more opportunities to do meaningful non billable work, and recognize good non billable work.

Sep 7, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for leaving a review about your experience at Navigant. Feedback such as this is important in shaping the future of the company.

5. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Navigant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of intelligent team members

Cons

Not a lot of upward mobility

Sep 7, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

We appreciate your feedback!

6. "Working in Navigant Co."

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Oakton, VA
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Oakton, VA

I have been working at Navigant (More than a year)

Pros

It has very good benefits and amazing parties for employees.

Cons

Salary is lower than the average of other companies.

Sep 7, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback.

7. "Great!"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

I definitely learned a lot from everyone i worked with

Cons

I can not really think of any

Great to hear!

8. "It was fun while it lasted"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Watertown, MA

I worked at Navigant full-time

Pros

Fast paced, very competent consultants

Cons

Hire-and-fire mentality, be prepared for the 80 h week

Advice to Management

Don't work your people to death

Sep 7, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for leaving candid feedback. We are sorry that you did not have a great experience.

"Associate Director - Healthcare"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Both pros and cons will be somewhat dependent upon your practice and group. With that in mind, the biggest pros of the company / healthcare practice include:

1. Sufficient size to reel in interesting projects. The healthcare practice wasn't necessarily doing eight-figure projects for top-5 health systems, but they were doing large engagements for recognizable regional and national brands. I believe they're still one of the top five healthcare practices in the country, measured in revenue.

2. Reasonable billable hours targets. Targets for analysts/senior analysts were 80%+, MCs 75% and ADs 70%. If you did good work, and hit your targets you were rewarded with good reviews and timely promotions. This translated into average workweeks under 50 hours and little weekend work if you were smart about it.

3. Work-life flexibility. Provided you were receiving good reviews, there were minimal face time expectations. My team and I basically worked until the work was done. It's consulting, so that's 12 hours some days. But it's also 5 hours some days, and nobody expected you to make it look like you were working 12 hours those days. Opportunity to work remotely as needed (MC and below) or permanently (AD and above).

4. Great training ground with good exit opportunities. Other than one super-talented employee who I think sold himself short when he left, those who left our group took good jobs that were good career moves, myself included.

5. Office culture can be a pro, can be a con. Varies significantly from group to group, practice to practice. When I started, I had a couple people who relayed cautionary tales about Navigant from different practices, and I'm glad I chose to ignore them. Once established I found it easy to positively influence the office culture for my group.

6. Within my practice, travel was limited to 2-3 days a week for Directors, 1-2 days a week for ADs, ~1 day a week for MCs and <1 day a week for SCs. YMMV, but this can be a real perk in consulting.

7. Other pros that are present in most consulting firms but no less true at Navigant, including working with smart people; learning analysis, project management, etc; fast paced environment; quality managers for whom you like to work and who will develop you (though not everybody); etc.

Cons

1. Compensation is reflective of the lower billable hour targets. It's consulting, so the pay is still good relative to other jobs, but probably lower than peer firms, especially after bonus. Makes barriers to exit relatively low.

2. Nothing formalized for professional development. Employees receive an evaluator (or whatever the position has since been renamed) to whom they may have no working exposure over the course of a review period. No formal or prescribed one-on-one cadence. All but the best self starters run the risk of receiving insufficient guidance when starting out. Work was in process to improve this when I left, but it's still a deficiency. Also probably a step below MBB, Deloitte, etc. in terms of training rigor. If you want to be better at excel than your buddy at BAML, look elsewhere.

3. Quality of life can vary group to group, practice to practice. Tough to tell before you start what type of group you'll find yourself in, but not every group adheres to the corporate billable hour targets or understands interests in your life beyond work.

4. The healthcare practice was reorganized on a monthly basis. This was less a con than it was just plain annoying.

5. Other cons that are present in other consulting firms but no less true at Navigant, including ebbs and flows to workload, including some weeks with long hours in crunch time; turnover of your favorite people (which, when embraced, can mean new favorite people); managers you don't like to work for (though not everybody)

Advice to Management

Formalize basic professional development processes, especially for newcomers. Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing. You've created a good environment for people who want to be in consulting and work hard on interesting projects, but want a few waking hours to pursue other interests.

Sep 7, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

We appreciate your detailed review of working at Navigant. We are happy that you had a great experience!

"stay a couple of years and then leave!"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Navigant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent firm to get your feet wet out of college.

Cons

Lack of leadership and management from the top down. Corporate strategy and focus is constantly changing. The company does not know how to grow organically and will not pay to retain in-house rising talent. The DC office is rampant with sexism and favoritism. Salary + bonus are low compared to competitors.

"Sr eDiscovery Analyst"

Current Employee - SENIOR EDISCOVERY ANALYST in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - SENIOR EDISCOVERY ANALYST in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Navigant (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best thing about working at Navigant is, People. Great people.

Cons

Pay is random, not based on skill. Benefits for people who have good terms with management.