Navigant Reviews | Glassdoor

Navigant Reviews

Updated September 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Navigant does a pretty good job of creating a culture that supports a sustainable work-life balance, which isn't common in management consulting (in 63 reviews)

• Good work-life balance, smart people (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The company could do a lot more to support a healthy work life balance (in 33 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours, work can be dull at times (in 28 reviews)

"A company who promotes excellence, Then once you work for them they lie to you and treat you like dirt."

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Navigant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are hands down the best. 3 weeks vacation, plus 2 weeks sick and 2 floating holidays, cheap medical and other benefits.

Cons

They pay you like crap, no advancements. If you work in the medical field this is not the place for a guy to work. This company is extremely sexist. Hard to work for.

"Lied to me to recruit me"

Pros

Couldn't find any - suboptimal medical benefit. some staff was "protected" for no reason I could perceive, it certainly wasn't based on contribution to the project.

Cons

Horrendous turnover with many not even making it to 6 months, low morale, dishonest senior leadership. Poor leadesrhip and client management at the project level.

Advice to Management

Stabilize staff, communicate accurately in recruitment because lies are revealed day 1 on the job. Sell work you can actually deliver so turnover on projects will decrease

3. "Keep Looking"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Navigant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

On first glance this company seems to have values and commitment to employees. They encourage volunteer activities for community events.

Cons

Working as a remote employee you do not get to share in the "company culture" and you are subjected to the mercy of your managing director.

Advice to Management

Stop all the silos. You need to be better at creating the company culture that can spread out to your remote employees and have more opportunities to be engaged with the company.

4. "Manager"

Pros

None, avoid this place at all costs...

Cons

Management is more interested in churning out employees and taking a cut from the subcontracting companies than actually doing any substantive work. The office is rife with politics so watch your back. The DC office is a perfect example of this.

"Administrative Specialist or AKA Executive Assistant"

I worked at Navigant full-time

Pros

Convenient to public transportation, nice offices, amenities in building such as restaurants, gym and bank. Admins get overtime.

Cons

If you wanted to be treated like a small child (instead of a professional) go work at Navigant. The EAs at this company are treated like neglected stepchildren. Even with a long career at Navigant or anywhere else the senior level staff have no respect (younger ones worse). Only 2 WEEKS of vacation (only position at Navigant that has this restriction - no negotiations). Mgmt expects you to act like a consultant and know the business. They watch you like a hawk via an IM program. Everyone else comes here with packages, sign on bonuses, negotiated vacation, large salaries but not the admins. They will higher you for one job then pile people on you. Give summer hours but don't be fooled because you have to make up the whopping 4 hours you get to leave early.

Advice to Management

If you respected the admins then maybe everyone else would follow. Unhappy overworked admins make your senior execs less productive. If we could have taken work off their shoulders they could produce more. Helloooo.

6. "Consultant"

I worked at Navigant full-time

Pros

Bagel Thursdays in Navigant's NYC office.

Cons

Repetitive work, pressure on billable hours, lack of communication and culture in the firm.

"Good Client Work But Bad Culture"

Pros

Numerous smart, driven people
    Broad capabilities and client services

Cons

Senior leadership has created a challenging culture evidenced by 10% to 20% turnover annually
    Short-termed focused by nature of being public
    Little concern for individuals

Advice to Management

Quit tolerating bad and abusive leadership

8. "Great working environment but needs a lot of work as it relates to consulting work"

Pros

It is a great working environment.

Cons

Strong desire to keep doing more of the same. The same is just small projects mainly related to research.

Advice to Management

Must take a closer look at the competition and adjust the consulting strategy – Must important need to have the right folks to implement.

"Very "Hit or Miss""

Former Employee - Healthcare Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Healthcare Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Navigant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the very few positive consequences of working here is that it teaches you how to work with discipline, stay organized, and pay attention to detail. Skills that are not necessarily mastered in school. Pretty simple interview process is also a plus.

Cons

Below-than-average consulting pay, awful middle management, and office culture vastly different from hub to hub. You are over-promised a lot during the interview process i.e. opportunities for professional development and meaningful projects that are catered to your skill sets. I can't believe how many people I have talked to after I left Navigant that shared common themes: heavy micromanagement, managing consultants with a superiority complex, mundane projects, and a tough political culture. My best recommendation is for any new grad (Bachelor's or Master's) to avoid this place (I can only speak to the healthcare sector). If you are interested in being a management consultant in the healthcare industry, only seek opportunities at Navigant AFTER you gain additional experience elsewhere and AFTER you have thoroughly networked to ensure that the team you are joining is supportive of your professional desires. There are many other consulting firms out there that will instill more trust and invest more resources into you. While I was at Navigant, I have never felt so professionally defeated. And I know several others that share the same sentiment. Since then, I have joined another healthcare consulting firm and could not be happier.

Advice to Management

Managing Directors and Directors should be much more careful about screening their managing consultants on their leadership. Not all smart, tech-savvy individuals make great leaders and project managers.

"Laid off with no notice"

I worked at Navigant full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None, I think my title speaks for itself.

Cons

After months of lying about meeting revenue and promising new projects, I and several other colleagues were laid off on the spot. It turned out that revenue targets hadn't been met for 2 quarters and no big sales were on the horizon for the next few months.

Advice to Management

Grow a set and don't lay people off by conference call.