Navis Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Navis CEO Kyle Buehner
Kyle Buehner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bend, OR

I worked at Navis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome people, solid product offerings, real focus on company culture and taking care of their people.

Cons

Maybe growing too fast - can't create the best products of proper time isn't taken.

2. "Sales Administrator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bend, OR

I worked at Navis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. The people are wonderful and professional.

Cons

The office in Orlando is limited. The core of the business is in Oregon.

"Good & Bad"

I worked at Navis full-time

Pros

-Tight family feel within the culture IF you get in with the right people.
    -Compassion is still a core item in the culture so the company tries to take care of its own
    -The company is trying to catch up technology wise, though not totally there, the work is being done
    -Milt left behind an amazing legacy that is continued, though different his heart is still at the core.
    -Open door policies. I never felt afraid to go talk to a manager or even a VP which was an amazing change having had a retail background previously.
    -Transparency in the budget, where we stand, etc. which is helpful so that things can be corrected before it’s the end of the fiscal year.
    -A sense of pride for the work done for clients, and amazing relationships to be built with clients.
    -Networking opportunities
    -Minimal micromanaging. There are a few managers who do, but overall it felt very free regardless of which manager I had in my department.
    -Bonus each year depending on company and personal performance.
    -Gives back to the local community.

Cons

-Favoritism. Employee(s) are constantly recognized by SLT even when they don’t report to that members operation, because of a former working relationship, which just looks frankly unprofessional. Even when said employee put in a lot of work it becomes devalued by the common worker bees because of the gross rumors that fly about SLT and said employee. While that is a problem in twofold, it could be resolved in both areas. Stop the rumors, stop the unnecessary recognition or let the proper SLT member give it. Another item with favoritism is managers going to lunch with their subordinates who are also their friends outside of work. Or talking to them noticeably more than their other subordinates. You’re friends outside of work, you can have bro time then, at work attention should be spread equally to all team members (or attempted at minimum). There were weeks where my manager would never stop by my desk but stopped by a friends desk 20 feet away, multiple times a day. Petty, but it eats at you.
    -Credit is never given where it is due, but to where it is most convenient (“who do I remember most”). I’ve been on both ends of this, neither are right. Give credit where it is due, praise your employees more than criticize and you will get better performance out of them! It’s proven through so many studies. Don’t hold true positive feedback hostage where it’s eventually forgotten and the employees sit on it and stew.
    -It’s very clique-y. A manager in my department was fired which certain members of the team gossiped about, speculating who it was that “got them fired.” Reality was, it wasn’t what anyone thought but the speculation and gossiping did it’s damage and made me hate interacting with my own department because it turned into an “us vs. them” thing.
    -Lack of management training. There are real true issues with the managers and supervisors being inexperienced and lacking sensitivity training. They aren’t terrible leaders as a whole by any means but they need to be developed not just tossed into the fray. It’s like the blind leading the blind sometimes and can be frustrating especially when you’re an employee who has gone through such training elsewhere and start to internally identify the things that could be changed.
    -Inconsistency. This one is widespread. But having roadmaps and plans that are stuck to would do wonders in many aspects here.
    -Pay. Simply put you aren’t paid what you’re worth here. It used to balance out with less stress/good benefits but it was over a year of constant stress and changed/worse benefits that made me realize I couldn’t do it anymore. A 2% raise is stated as “good” so you’re likely to get under 2%.
    -Thinly veiled misogyny. Women were often referred to as “the girls,” or told they’re overreacting, “upset,” or not taken seriously when a concern was brought up.

Advice to Management

Develop your leaders. Pay for them to go to trainings and you will see the payoff in the long run with happier, more productive employees and a better environment. Truly invest in building your leaders and get them some HR sensitivity training. NAVIS grew fast while I was there, and the leaders in place need to catch up to the corporate vibe it now has instead of the local small company.

"Do not work as a temp for this company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Navis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The trainers were nice.

Cons

I was hired as a seasonal employee for the summer. In the beginning we had 26 people crammed in a small training room that was also our “office” for the summer. The existing office staff, especially the receptionist treated us like we were dirt and seemed annoyed we were in their space. We were told all summer they were expecting to hire over half is us that remained at the end of the contract. When it came down to the end, they only hired 2 fulltime employees. It was just a major let down after we all worked so hard all summer. Exactly what they wanted.

Advice to Management

If your going to tell people they will not be hired fulltime at the end of the temp contract it’s better to do it in person rather than over the phone. Also giving someone only a weeks notice to find another job is just poor business.

Navis Response

Sep 6, 2018 – Sr. Technology Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! Because our business is so seasonal, it’s always a challenge to predict exactly how many of our temporary hires will remain until we assess call volume levels at the end... More

"Mixed Bag"

I worked at Navis full-time

Pros

-Flexible hours when salaried
    -Some of the nicest coworkers
    -Lots of company engagement activities and outdoor fun during summer and winter
    -Transparency in budget issues/strengths with the entire company

Cons

-Mediocre benefits, they are especially expensive for families
    -Terrible pay
    -No value of tenure in certain departments, people can be on a team for years and never move up even with aspirations
    -No value towards forward thinking
    -Money focused
    -Poor management and supervisor training
    -Inconsistent rewards systems. Those loudest in the company are not always the best, but they are rewarded simply because they come to mind
    -Favoritism—very much a good ole boys vibe in nearly every department
    -Trying to do too much without focusing on making the software already there solid
    -Software is not user friendly, is hard to sell, impossible to train, and harder to support long term as a client advocate

Advice to Management

Something needs to happen to give managers sensitivity training and HR training. People who are unqualified hold some of the highest positions but with training, quality external training, I believe the ship can be turned around. I saw money being wasted on so many useless things, salaries are inconsistent, the entire thing is just mismanaged. It felt as though a 3rd party needed to come in to help align the company. They have tried to do it so many times themselves and it never worked while I was there. Changing your values and the way they read isn’t changing your practices for the positive. It’s just making things cleaner on paper and making you feel better for the moment.

6. "Excellent company culture with a true focus on client needs."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Queen Creek, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Queen Creek, AZ

I have been working at Navis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent company culture, focused on client & employee needs.

Cons

Experienced growing pains over last couple years, but seems to be on the upswing from that

Advice to Management

Continue to set and follow through on solid goals and plans, both for internal & external clients

"Under The Microscope"

I worked at Navis part-time

Pros

Work from home option is good

Cons

Poor communication. Inconsistent processes.

Advice to Management

To many cooks in the kitchen

8. "A fun, fast-growing, family company"

Former Employee - Product in Bend, OR
    Former Employee - Product in Bend, OR

I worked at Navis part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great work/life balance
    -Resort town
    -Fair compensation
    -Fast-paced
    -Employee camaraderie
    -Opportunities to grow
    -Company values

Cons

-Company is seperated with remote agents and offices separated (West coast/East coast)

Advice to Management

There is a lot of room for growth in this industry. Keep up the growth trend that has occurred in the past 10 years by hiring talent that is capable of managing a company of this size and by providing solutions to what this market expects and demands.

"Strong culture of innovation with a great work/life balance"

Former Employee - Administrator in Bend, OR
    Former Employee - Administrator in Bend, OR

I worked at Navis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The leadership is exceptional when it comes to adapting to a shifting market and making necessary moves to ensure goals are met. I worked in a technical role for 2 years at Navis and never felt like my future with the company was in jeopardy as long as I contributed to the term and performed at a high level. Its definitely a company where hard work pays off and slacking gets left behind (which should be a good thing to any real talent).

There was a strong sense of real friendship between coworkers, even across departments. Lots of family friendly events littered throughout the calendar year, filled in with mini events here and there in between holidays. Happy hours and after work get togethers were a regular occurrence.

The VP of Sales specifically should be recognized as an anchor for the company, especially when the times were tough. She kept a steady head and captained the ship without hesitation when it was needed most during my time there.

Cons

Sometimes there are hard seasons where competition in the market brings on high stress situations, but this is hardly a con. That's the reality of working in a sales and marketing environment with high capacity people who set big goals. The pros of the company greatly outweigh the con of stress, which should be expected.

"Crumbling fast"

I worked at Navis full-time

Pros

Their market is ripe for the next big software solution and Navis still has enough footing to be it. If they get it right, it could be a great growth company.

Cons

- Out-of-touch, under-qualified senior leadership
    - Software is hard to use and even harder to sell
    - Trying to be everything (call center, pro services, and software) leads to confusion
    - Low morale across the company
    - Work/life balance (used to be a pro) is *very* dependent on your position

Advice to Management

Get out of your company's way. Don't pretend to be something you're not -- a management team.

Start listening to the smart people you've been fortunate enough to recruit at the producer level (you're lucky you're in Bend).

Kyle,
    - Split your business into manageable units
    - Find investors that know those markets
    - Step back to a board member role
    - Let your partners help you find the right management team to lead each unit

The Peter principle has nearly killed what could have been something great. Act now or continue to watch what you and your father built whither away.