Navistar Reviews in Melrose Park, IL | Glassdoor

1.8
Troy Clarke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Unfortunately the company suffered from multiple bad decisions by upper management (in 52 reviews)

• High turnover especially at middle management level (in 17 reviews)

"company in disarray"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melrose Park, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melrose Park, IL

I worked at Navistar (More than 10 years)

Pros

union shop, laid back work environment, good pay, good benefits

Cons

company made bad business decisions and future is uncertain

2. "No place to work."

Current Employee - Fabricator in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Fabricator in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar (More than a year)

Pros

It's somewhat of a clean place to work.

Cons

If you don't have a degree, you will loose your job. If you have a degree you will be looking elsewhere. For too much Back stabbing. On day a former employee walked in a shot everybody up. Several died.

Advice to Management

Instead of putting bullet proof windows and electric doors all over the place. Maybe you should not attempt to send your employees to jail. ..da..

"Navistar"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melrose Park, IL

Pros

Great people to work with, great atmosphere for learning, able to get involve in many challenging projects

Cons

Dim outlook for future, would love to stay here long term but not sure if it is possible at this point.

"Product development engineer"

Former Employee - Product Development Engineer in Melrose Park, IL
    Former Employee - Product Development Engineer in Melrose Park, IL

Pros

Chicago location
    As for the company, there is absolutely nothing positive to say

Cons

Extremely political organization
    Unionized engineer test lab personnel can be intimidating

5. "Field Test Engineer"

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Melrose Park, IL
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Melrose Park, IL

Pros

Great raining and work environment.

Cons

Job instability, upper management changes way too often

6. "Could be great..."

Current Employee - Senior Product Development Engineer in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Product Development Engineer in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time

Pros

Generally the "working level" employees are dedicated to their work and want to do the right thing. There are many opportunities to make yourself known because of the many challenges the company is facing that need to be addressed but aren't anyone's "job." The cafeteria at the world headquarters is very nice.

Cons

Middle-to-Upper level management routinely shoots first and asks questions later. The same management is often the biggest barrier to solving the problems they require their lower level managers and "working level" employees to address. Very little communication, transparency, and planning seem to exist on scales larger than small operating units/teams.

Advice to Management

Take these challenges our company has faced on the chin and step back, make a plan, and start to fix problems the right way instead of the fast-without-spending-money way

"Great management"

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great pay and benefits
    provided all specialty tools needed
    management is very willing to work with you on issues

Cons

low morale
    training is non existent

Advice to Management

Only advice would be to offer better training to employees on new technologies and procedures.

8. "Good company, great Bosses"

Current Employee - Machine Repairman in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Machine Repairman in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working environment is pleasant, co-workers make you feel like family.
    The people I work with function like a well oiled machine.

Cons

Way too many Chiefs and not enough Braves.
    The Union is a house Union, The skilled trades are not represented properly.
    Held back by Union rules.

Advice to Management

Middle management needs to diversify when choosing bosses, instead of having all bosses with a background in Electronics, they need to be more Mechanically oriented.
    Listen to employee input.

"Working level people have been great to work with"

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer - Team Lead in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer - Team Lead in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

An automotive oem in the chicagoland area? Depending on what group you are in, one can have a lot of fun and really make a difference in the company.

Cons

A lot of wasted time on trying to impress top level management and not enough time spent on the real work at hand. Ownership and pride in projects seems to be lacking

Advice to Management

You have to get people motivated and have pride in their company and what they do. Talent acquisition needs to find and be willing to pay the true enthusiast and the ones that want to engineer a great product. Not all engineers are created equal.

"Once a great company to work for, look elsewhere if you are a young professional looking for career growth."

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer, Senior in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer, Senior in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Christmas break/ shutdown. I would like to write about my great coworkers, but currently most of them have left the company or they are looking elsewhere. My manager is great long term employee, but overwhelmed with 15+ direct reports. Probably a good place for older employees to wind down their career and retire in the Chicago area.

Cons

Currently a depressing atmosphere and still as of 2015 not recovering. I thought the bottom was reached about 1 year ago but we keep getting negative announcements. Melrose Facility no longer has a cafeteria. Hundreds of empty desks in both Lisle and Melrose means you're literally running the skeleton crew. Some labs were constructed in 2012 but never finished. Front of the building construction ceased 2 years ago and remains without walls and vacant. People leaving every day and things are getting worse. Promotions were once possible, but constant reorganization means opportunities are getting cut at every quarter. Many managers lost their direct reports so opportunity for leadership experience is nill. Pay is not competitive, particularly considering the Chicago area. I actually got a job offer at another company for $10k more pay, in the state of Michigan which has a much lower cost of living. I was a very hard working employee from 2009-2012. Each year, I looked forward to work, worked late , gained responsibility, etc but never got more than a 3 on my TPM. I would frequently log more than 50 hours per week in the past. My manager once told me that the TPM score was not a result of effort. For the past 2 years, I have just been doing the absolute minimum amount of work and still get the same 3 on my TPM. I probably should have gotten a 4 or 5 in the past, but now I have no motivation and still get the same score as I did in the past. TPM very ineffective system when you can't reward truly hard working employees. Did I mention the news headlines on Navistar?

Advice to Management

You know what you need to do, but obviously you can't give raises. I would suggest promoting some of the existing people into the management roles and giving direct reports with maybe a modest raise. Move people around so that experience is gained. I saw that is happening but not in engine group. There are too many great opportunities at other companies so the only people who you'd be able to hire from outside are going to be the bottom of the barrel. I'd say promote or use what little experience you have remaining to stop the bleeding.