Navistar Operations Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Troy Clarke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • IPD upper management need better balance of technical and people skills (in 53 reviews)

• High turnover especially at middle management level (in 17 reviews)

"Everything was great until half the building got laid off."

Former Employee - Assembly Operator in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Assembly Operator in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Navistar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay. Best paying job I had to date. Started at $16/hour and ended at $21/hour. Once you learn your job, you know it. Same operations everyday until a new model engine comes out. People were very helpful. Team/family environment.

Cons

Got laid off. The location I worked for hired 200 workers in 2011 and turned around and laid us all off in 2014. Kept everyone by seniority. In 5-10 years most of the employees who were "safe" will retire. Mainly the layoff happened because the previous company president took a risk and tried to make our EGR's better instead of using the same technology the rest of the trucking world was using. That risk backfired. He got to step down with millions to his name while the workers got screwed.

Advice to Management

Don't take risks when employees' jobs and livelihoods are relying on you to make the right decision. Now the whole company is in jeopardy because a previous company executive got greedy and said "yes we can" when your engineering team clearly couldn't make miracles happen. Don't try to be Einstein. Then the company hires Troy Clark and the only thing he knows how to do is come in and close plants.

"Machine Operator"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Navistar (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Union brothers!!! Pays the bills. It's not hard work, heat is bad but you learn to deal with it.

Cons

Lied to us in Indianapolis. We closed, they started us back and promised we'd make our money back that we gave up to re open and before our new contract was up they closed for good. Low down dirty!!! Bad company!! They ruined a good thing!!! Greedy bastards!!!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees how you'd treat yourself. We didn't ask for much other than employment. Thank you!

"Great company going bad"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Lisle, IL

I worked at Navistar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were generally good to be around. For the first few years of my career I thought they really took care of me.

Cons

As things went downhill everything stopped. No more raises, no more bonuses. Every opportunity for a new job was "frozen" which continued on and on. Eventually you had to realize you were working for a dying company.

Advice to Management

Stop selling the same dream, that everything is getting better. Be honest and admit you just continue to lose money, quarter after quarter, year after year. Start working with the employees to find out an actual plan to profitability.

4. "Opportunity to grow, diversity and quality product the first run"

Former Employee - Machine Operator, QC Control Inspector in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Machine Operator, QC Control Inspector in Garland, TX

I worked at Navistar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

best company to work for,Benefit and compensation was great, good management and above all culture value was the best.

Cons

slow or late in hiring

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

5. "Review"

Former Employee - Operations specialist in Warrenville, IL
    Former Employee - Operations specialist in Warrenville, IL

Pros

Management and Executives at Navistar empower their employees to make decisions.
    I felt empowered to make the important decisions, even if on occasion it was the wrong choice. Management made me feel that as long as I made the best decision given the information I had, I had done a job well.

Cons

The ups and downs of the business made everyone on edge about there being a possible layoff every few years.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire people you are confident can do the job well and continue to empower them to make choices.