Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Navy Federal Credit Union President and CEO Cutler Dawson
Cutler Dawson

Pros
  • Amazing company and great benefits (in 96 reviews)

• They cater to work life balance and especially to the military lifestyle (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Some departments may be very stressful and lack work/life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Evening and weekend hrs no work life balance (in 12 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Pros

Great Benefits! PIP! Pay! Work Environment

Cons

None at the moment right now

2. "Top 100 For a Reason"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management truly gets it. Employees are paid fairly, with regular raises. Bonuses are very fair. The benefits are arguably the best in the industry. Communication is efficient from the top down and from the bottom up. Employees are encouraged and empowered to innovate. Member satisfaction and employee satisfaction serve as the company's key drivers.

There is a reason they continue to climb Forbes's list of the top 100 companies to work for.

I feel empowered in my role, I know advancement opportunities are real and attainable, and I feel valued, recognized, and compensated fairly.

Cons

There really are none. The only thing I wish for would be more jobs outside of Branch Operations across the country, rather than just on the east coast.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Thank you for all you do.

3. "Exceptional room to grew so long as geography isn't an issue."

Current Employee - Member Service Representative III in Moncks Corner, SC
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative III in Moncks Corner, SC

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great balance of work and home life, training opportunities and progressive responsibilities one way n one interaction between self and members and a true sense of assistance when you've got a member in need who feels appreciated.

Cons

If the local market is saturated advancement is difficult unless your prepared to relocate.
    Some managers as with all establishments shouldn't be in management they support clicks and bias with favorites while others can be ostracized, I was witness but would not stand by quietly.

Advice to Management

Practice what's preached, take a step back and acknowledge successful candidates trust your employees, you hired them let them shine on their own for the benefit of the time - don't stifle because your not recognized as the leader

5. "Great Benefits"

Pros

Great company, Great Benefits, overall good culture

Cons

Not as modern and innovative as other companies, more of a place to retire.

Advice to Management

Better communication between divisions to increase efficiency

6. "Member Service Rep"

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Competitive pay and extremely good benefits

Cons

Very stressful enviorment and the standards that are asked of you become unsettling.

7. "Love it here!"

Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist
    Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Navy Federal truly cares about its members and employees! Member service comes first above all else, and the employees care and want to help. We are empowered to make decisions that best assist the member, and don't have to constantly worry about someone looking over our shoulder. The people that I work with everyday, I've become very close with and we really are like a family.
    Another big pro is that NFCU recently released teleworking opportunities for employees who meet certain criteria. Although this is still a pilot phase, it has so far worked out very well for the individuals that I know of who chose to do it. I myself did not want to because I enjoy coming into the office.
    The yearly bonus! The company holds a week long celebration each year for us. Everyday there is some sort of treat available, like coffee, snacks, and fruit.
    NFCU takes feedback from its employees very seriously. Recognition is given for submitting ideas to change existing policies and procedures, and having that idea implemented.

Cons

Although the salary is very competitive, yearly merit increase percentages could be higher. Also, it would be nice to see more opportunity for promotion. Hopefully this will come about when our next building goes up!

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

8. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Desktop Support Technician in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Technician in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cultural, facilities, pay, and benefits.

Cons

Talent pool can be low due to it's location.

Advice to Management

Continually reward the top talent that you find to keep them and let them grow.

9. "Amazing Company!"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Oceanside, CA
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Oceanside, CA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Navy Federal has been amazing to me! I will definitely say that this company has been the best to work for throughout all of my work experience. They cater to work life balance and especially to the military lifestyle. It is comfortable to think about wherever we get stationed there is most likely a Navy Federal nearby where I can continue my career.

Cons

The downsides are some states don't have as many locations. Hopefully, they will open a lot more so other military-affiliated employees can find employment almost anywhere.

Advice to Management

Please continue to work with employees on their work-life balance.

10. "Convert technical information into easy to read instructions and announcements for employees to consume"

Current Employee - Documentation Specialist I in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Documentation Specialist I in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, work life balance, full gym, gym classes, access to many business units, chance for growth, employee perks, employee events

Cons

Non profit salary, employees stay in positions too long which hampers advancement, a lot of departments seem overwhelmed, slow promotion

11. "Mortgage Processor"

Pros

The company itself is wonderful

Cons

Mortgage processing is very hard and one of the hardest departments to work in. There is a reason it has a high turnover. There definitely is not enough training for the amount of work and responsibility you are required to do.

Advice to Management

I would highly recommend more training time, especially when it comes to the actual loans. There are too many people in one training class and not enough trainers to help with everyone during the loan process.