Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Navy Federal Credit Union President and CEO Cutler Dawson
Cutler Dawson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They have great benefits and really care about their employees (in 117 reviews)

• They cater to work life balance and especially to the military lifestyle (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Something work-life balance may be off depending on the type of work environment you are in (in 34 reviews)

• Evening and weekend hrs no work life balance (in 12 reviews)

"Navy Federal Credit Union: An Employee's Experience and Insights"

Current Employee - Mortgage Processor/Closer in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Mortgage Processor/Closer in Pensacola, FL

Pros

Navy Federal is an employer that has an open forum, promotes a balance between work life and home, believes in proper compensation, and offers great benefits, including employer monetary contributions to fitness equipment and club membership, a wonderful health insurance plan with no co-insurance required for an individual or family, and additional benefits such as pet insurance, a workplace fitness center, and on-site medical staff. A further benefit is called PIP, or Partners in Performance, which is a percentage of each employee's yearly income that they get each year based on their yearly eval and the percentage of company goals that were reached corporately. Last year I received 4.5% of my annual salaray, which was just above average, which is a wonderful benefit. Navy Federal upper management values the people "down in the grass" as they put it by having an open forum for ideas called New Horizons. When an idea is researched and implemented, the employee who submitted it gets points which can be turned in for purchases. Points from one idea being accepted and implemented, for example, are enough to redeem for a small BOSE stereo or somethig equal in value worth a couple of hundred dollars. Also, I have grown more professionally at Navy Federal Credit Union than I have at any previous job because each supervisor I have has a management style that promotes a desire to work hard, but be part of a team with a common goal to help one another, and that is something that is not so common in todays cut-throat job environment. Perhaps part of the environment is the mission of the workplace: to serve our members who are commonly people on the front lines protecting our country and our way of life.

Cons

A downside is that I can not work from home, but that is the only negative I can think of. I have worked many places, and this is the first place I felt valued by my employer, and felt that I was recognized as an individual even though I do not work in a management role.

Advice to Management

Continue having the company-wide "town hall" style meetings where we as employees in each location are given updates and allowed to speak freely about problems and positive things we have encountered in our particular job areas. I would also have upper management visit the Pensacola location from Headquarters even more than you already do, and re-evaluate payscales so that people who have more stressful jobs are paid more. For instance, the call center is a frontline position for the company, and the pay there should be and is competetive here in the Penacola area. I feel that people who work at the same type of grade level, such as mortgage processors, should get a pay increase because of the constant detail and stress the job involves, which is much more than that in the call center. I would also say to keep a hold of Jack Gaffney, because he is a great example of the spirit of NFCU for the employees, and a great communicator.

2. "Navy Federal - a great place to work and grow"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Vienna, VA

Pros

Work/life balance; great benefits package; on-site gym; full service cafeteria; wide variety of position types; in-house training and development; tuition reimbursement/college partnerships for higher education opps.

Cons

Location. Location. Location. Location. Location. (HQ)

Advice to Management

Please always attempt to recognize the myriad of talent available among your teams and use them to the credit union's advantage.

"I like my job"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pensacola, FL

Pros

Benefits are excellent. Your leave accrues at a higher rate after you have been on staff for 3 years. The salaries are competitive, and the buildings in Pensacola feature state of the art amenities. Many of the jobs are on the phones, but there are quite a few opportunities to move to supervisory positions and other functional teams.

Cons

It's a big company, which is good and bad. Good because it is secure in tough financial times, and bad because you feel like you are just a cog in the machine. Some areas foster creativity and out-of-the-box thinking more than others. I am fortunate enough to be in a good department.

Sometimes management can do a little too-much handholding, which can hold back the abilities of the lower level employees.

Advice to Management

Implement mechanisms to ensure corporate culture is maintained by middle management.

4. "It was a great learning experience and worked with some great people."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Killeen, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Killeen, TX

Pros

largest credit union in the world
    benefits
    incentives
    serve our military families
    meat people from all over the world
    employees are all business professionals

Cons

only near military installations
    can only transfer if there is an opening

5. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Vienna, VA

Pros

Excellent benefits! They even offered health insurance to my dog! The headquarters in Vienna has a gym, cafeteria, nurse, counselor, dry cleaning, general store. The pay was okay, but not enough for the area. The atmosphere was friendly and there was room for advancement. It is definitely a good company to work for. The president and other leadership were amazing, friendly, caring, everything you could want in a CEO.

Cons

My major downsides had to do with my specific position. I worked in the branch at the headquarters, which was very stressful. We had to handle members directly as well as employees. The branch was much more formal and strict than the operations side, but other than that no cons!

6. "Learned quite a bit and had a great supervisor."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Benefits are fantastic, the organization is financially strong and growing, and it was a great opportunity to serve those who served or had relativews that were in the military,

Cons

While the pay is "ok" - it is lower in comparison to banks of similar size. Annual reviews are generally filled out first by the team member and then reviewed and adjusted by the manager.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and the overall sound decisions that keep the organization strong. Spend more time coaching thorughout the year as oppossed to waiting for an annual review to let someone know that they have more to work on prior to getting a promotion.

7. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Salary Pip coworkers and the wonderful atmospher

Cons

lots of change over, sometimes short staffed

Advice to Management

Nothing everything is pretty good

8. "One ot the top companies to work for in Florida."

Current Employee - Msr in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Msr in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, compensation, and rewarding positions

Cons

No more bankers hours, open 6 days a week.

"Unlimited potential with maximum satisfaction."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Every single day is a fresh opportunity to serve an incredible membership. I've always felt supported by both my management and my colleagues to seek and achieve anything and everything.

Cons

More teleworking opportunity is needed. Navy Federal headquarters is in an area with a really high cost of living. It would be great to be able to work for this great company from anywhere in the world.

Advice to Management

Be open to taking more risks in an effort to create an even better service culture.

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They give great benefits and salary. Very community minded. Most of the employees get along and are happy to be working there.

Cons

Depending on the department you work, opportunities for advancement, training, and empowerment vary. Sometimes they put technical managers in charge of people and that doesn't turn out well.

Advice to Management

Empower your employees to exceed. They want to do a good job for the members - let them.