Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Navy Federal Credit Union President and CEO Cutler Dawson
Cutler Dawson

Pros
  • They have great benefits and really care about their employees (in 102 reviews)

• They cater to work life balance and especially to the military lifestyle (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Something work-life balance may be off depending on the type of work environment you are in (in 29 reviews)

• Evening and weekend hrs no work life balance (in 12 reviews)

1. "Worst Credit Union I've worked for..."

Current Employee - MSR II in National City, CA
    Current Employee - MSR II in National City, CA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GREAT benefits! 7% match in 401(k) contributions, health insurance, tuition reimbursement.

Cons

you have to kiss butt's to move up in this company. management is SEVERELY undertrained! favoritism is also a problem

Advice to Management

micro managing never works!!! people don't quit jobs, they quit bosses. I've been in the banking industry for nearly 7 years now, NFCU has been the worst job I've ever had.

2. "RMSR II/MLO"

Former Employee - RMSR II/Mortgage Loan Officer in Centreville, VA
    Former Employee - RMSR II/Mortgage Loan Officer in Centreville, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic work culture, my management was very supportive and appreciative of me (and they were coached to be so by their superiors which is a good example of the great culture), good pay, great benefits across the board, you can take pride in helping military and the culture is extremely geared towards the idea of helping others (not like the cut throat nature of a bank where it's all about sales which was especially refreshing for me coming from the banking world) my co-workers were some of my most favorite people of all time. All in all I will always have fond memories of my time there.

Lastly, even though I don't work there anymore I can honestly say that the experience of working at NFCU paid positive dividends to my future career.

Cons

There was unfortunately one big con, and it was the reason I had to leave: career advancement was completely non-existent. Don't get me wrong I love NFCU and still have all my accounts there. I will definitely stay a member for life. But I couldn't just do the same job forever. At some point I needed to do more with my career and it was simply impossible for me to make headway towards that goal with NFCU. I've seen this same criticism in other reviews and it's real. Personally I don't think its the product of anything malicious but it is a bug in what is otherwise a great place to work. Whatever role they hire you for be prepared to stay stuck there for the entirety of your employment.

Advice to Management

My experience with the HR department was great but NFCU needs to create real employment advancement programs for internal employees.

3. "member service representative"

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

friendly environment to work at

Cons

all depends on management style

Advice to Management

nothing really to say to management

5. "Good to employees, lots of perks, but somewhat of distance decay."

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great perks-Care about health and have lots of health and fitness challenges, annual bonus based on company success and bonus per branch for outings and team building. Love my branch and the people employed! Not nearly as high of turnover as other banks and credit unions. Empowered to keep learning and improve within position.

Cons

There is distance decay between branches and HQ. Unfortunately because it''s so large there is a lot of HQ ideas that aren't super practical for the actual branch. Employees aren't properly trained to address mortgage or business questions in the branch and a lot of members complain about not being able to find anyone to help them within those areas. Another issue is if you are on the west coast you lack move up potential besides becoming a branch manager, if you want to move up you'll have to move to Florida or Virginia.

Advice to Management

To higher ups- Invest in mortgage and business services! Mortgage makes us so much money and it tends to be the least satisfactory service we offer. We can do better.

6. "Best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Winchester, VA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Winchester, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, environment, training, basically everything

Cons

I don't believe there are any cons.

7. "Member Representative"

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Great place to work

Cons

can be stressful at times

8. "Business Analyst"

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

good company to work for

Cons

no work from home , no remote

9. "Navy Federal Review"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Winchester, VA
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Winchester, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Navy Federal is a great place to work. As a company they really take car of their employees and are always doing something special for them. The benefits and pay are very good.

Cons

It can be very stressful dealing with the public and their finances.

Advice to Management

Allow each team member to grow.

10. "Outstanding Employer"

Current Employee - Regulatory Compliance Analyst in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Regulatory Compliance Analyst in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Navy Federal focuses on developing internal talent and providing upward mobility. Benefits and strong member service values builds loyal employees, as well as tenured ones. They value hard work, integrity, and commitment to quality service, and reward employees who excel.

Cons

Commuting can be difficult, particularly in the DC Metro area. Telework opportunities are limited primarily to IT personnel. While parking is free at the main campuses, available space is limited. Navy Federal offers car pool and public transportation benefits to offset parking difficulties, but the DC area metro system makes commutes longer rather than shorter.

Advice to Management

Institute broader telework options for employees, particularly in the DC Metro area, where commutes frequently exceed an hour in length.

"Eh..."

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Decent pay, overtime is usually available, they offer some professional development courses

Cons

Work life balance is horrible, company is not aligned at with supposed values of helping the military, they preach upward mobility but in reality you need to be cozy with hiring managers

Advice to Management

stick to your original mission of helping the armed forces not other 'freeloaders', improve work life balance for your front lines