Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews

Updated May 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • They have great benefits and really care about their employees (in 106 reviews)

• They cater to work life balance and especially to the military lifestyle (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Something work-life balance may be off depending on the type of work environment you are in (in 30 reviews)

• Evening and weekend hrs no work life balance (in 12 reviews)

1. "Assistant Manager, Branch Office"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and opportunities for advancement

Cons

The only con is that branch employees aren't compensated on the same level as call center, for equivalent work, if not more difficult.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If working in branch there is a great amount of morale and integrity. You feel like you work for a financial institution that actually cares about there members

Cons

Something work-life balance may be off depending on the type of work environment you are in. They just give more credit to front end employees who help members on a day to day basis

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Requirements Analyst in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Requirements Analyst in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employeement benefits
    Amazing culture
    Excellent learning and growth opportunities
    Vacation and time off is great

Cons

Not to up to date with the recent technology

"You let me down"

Former Employee - Contact Center Representative in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Contact Center Representative in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Good hot food in the cafeteria at a good price. (Pensacola center).

Cons

Much of the management staff is green. Two years or less of experience. If Your an older employee, watch out. New training programs in place to help weed out new people. On the surface, the company promotes lots of good will toward its employees. It shouts out the promises of great benefits and good pay with excellent work life balance. Management thinks they can do no wrong and displays a belief that you are very lucky to have a job here. The non profit company is now going through growing pains and is starting to cut corners. They have openly talked about this in town hall meetings. Cutting down training programs and expecting more for less looks like the future for Navy Federal Employees. As long as there is a line at the door to get in, Navy Federal will find some way to cut corners on operations. Its happing now.

Advice to Management

I had high hopes coming to work for you. With all my experience and documented success in providing great service, you made a mistake. You let me down. It was my goal to work hard and succeed for you and for myself. I thought at last I found a Company that cares like I do. The truth is you don't care. You didn't even give me the dignity to have an exit interview. A great opportunity to hear what I had to say. And I would have given you some Important information I think could help in keeping experienced employees. The company makes a big noise about how important its employees are but doesn't care over what may be a fault in a new training program. With a line to get in the door why should you care. My dismissal was rude and uncalled for on your part. I'm sorry if I disappointed you, but I'm more sorry over the fact that your not the company I was hopping you where.

6. "IT Project Management Professional"

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* Good company for starter job
    * Very good benefits and performance based bonus packages
    * Company culture is diversified and very friendly

Cons

* Limited opportunities for growth specially for someone who wants to move up or pursue different career path
    * Often times company and management are set on their own ways and lack the flexibility to adapt to new changes
    * Particularly in the IT and corporate project initiatives, company is far behind on pursuing other development methodologies like Agile/Scrum, Iterative or RAD

"Double Standards in Some Areas"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility with work hours, benefits, Management is understanding about personal items, career opportunities.

Cons

What I do not like are one of the double standards. I understand the policy with cell phones ie no texting, out of sight, no phone calls, etc. I follow this policy more than anyone. Unfortunately, I would see my Supervisor texting on the cell phone and/or looking up something when I would go to my Supervisor's desk. This happens quite frequently. I would also see the Assistant Manager and Manager with what looked like a personal cell phone while walking around. At times, I would see them texting. If it is an NFCU cellphone and the texting is for NFCU business, that is fine.

During one occasion, the SVP was talking with a fellow MSR about his house remodifications for close to 30 minutes. Another supervisor was standing in front of me listening to the conversation for a fair amount of time. I did say Hello to both. The SVP even pulled out the personal cell phone, looked up an item regarding tile replacement, and mentioned that to the MSR. Since our business unit does not involve house repairs, this 30 minute time block was not NFCU business. During our working hours, we are supposed to be working on NFCU matters. We should not be talking about house repairs for 30 minutes, college football, March Madness, etc. I see actions such as this more often than I should.

Advice to Management

Review the policy on cell phones, work atmosphere and follow it. If Supervisors and above need to have a cell phone on their desk, then I recommend that it is one issued by NFCU and used for NFCU matters.

"Quality Assurance"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not micro managed and it helps us grow in a wonderful way

Cons

Traffic could be handled better

Advice to Management

Keep collaborating to make things better

"Exceptional room to grew so long as geography isn't an issue."

Current Employee - Member Service Representative III in Moncks Corner, SC
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative III in Moncks Corner, SC

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great balance of work and home life, training opportunities and progressive responsibilities one way n one interaction between self and members and a true sense of assistance when you've got a member in need who feels appreciated.

Cons

If the local market is saturated advancement is difficult unless your prepared to relocate.
    Some managers as with all establishments shouldn't be in management they support clicks and bias with favorites while others can be ostracized, I was witness but would not stand by quietly.

Advice to Management

Practice what's preached, take a step back and acknowledge successful candidates trust your employees, you hired them let them shine on their own for the benefit of the time - don't stifle because your not recognized as the leader

"Great place to work, but needs some work."

Current Employee - Delinquency Control Counselor I in Merrifield, VA
    Current Employee - Delinquency Control Counselor I in Merrifield, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- great pay, above industry average
    - cafeteria on site
    - PIP, which is your yearly bonus
    - affordable benefits - the cost of benefits has increased only one time in the past decade; the dental coverage has the highest annual max I have ever seen
    - diversity! the HQ location seems to have a good mix of different cultures and ethnicities
    - the CEO is very approachable and cares about the people in the company

Cons

- the parking is HORRENDOUS (and this is an understatement)... the parking deck will be full at 8:10 AM every morning. So if your shift starts after that time, you are stuck parking at a church nearby and waiting for a shuttle...
    - some of the supervisors in the collections unit are not quite the type of people that should be in a leadership role. they pride themselves on NOT patting you on the back for a job well done BUT picking you apart when you mess up. they insist that this builds character and helps you be better. In reality, it just makes you wonder what you are doing with your life... If appropriate people were chosen to be supervisors, this job itself would be awesome, even in collections...
    - training is terrible... you will leave training confused and not knowing much more than you did when you began... training is done virtually via webcam... you are watching a training class in pensacola, FL... they won't hire actual trainers at the HQ building because the cost is too high... its sad because then you, the representative, are the one that is scolded when you don't know how to do your job...

Advice to Management

treat the employees like humans and not like numbers... a little bit of praise goes a long way... if an employee messes up, remember that no one is perfect and teach them the correct ways CONSTRUCTIVELY.

11. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Desktop Support Technician in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Technician in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cultural, facilities, pay, and benefits.

Cons

Talent pool can be low due to it's location.

Advice to Management

Continually reward the top talent that you find to keep them and let them grow.