Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews in Vienna, VA | Glassdoor

3.4
Navy Federal Credit Union President and CEO Cutler Dawson
Cutler Dawson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They have great benefits and really care about their employees (in 117 reviews)

• They cater to work life balance and especially to the military lifestyle (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Something work-life balance may be off depending on the type of work environment you are in (in 34 reviews)

• Evening and weekend hrs no work life balance (in 12 reviews)

1. "Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

clean smoke-free campus, good work environment, decent management

Cons

work life balance, time off restrictions, strict scheduling

Advice to Management

Allow more flexibility throughout the day

"Weird Culture, good pay if you land on right team"

Former Employee - Business Operations Analyst in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Business Operations Analyst in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It’s a pretty easy place to work if you land in the right situation. Typically you won’t have to work more than 40 hrs a week, unless you land in IT or some systems related role which requires being online or on call when systems go down, there is maintenance, etc. The benefits are good…full gym on site, 7% 401k match, decent amount of vacation and sick leave that ramps up after 3 years of service. If you get a good performance review, due to the bonus structure, your compensation can be very good. The mortgage discount can be very good. However, base salary tends to pay slightly less compared to other similar companies. It’s a big company, so its very easy to move around and try new jobs (especially because preference is given to internal hires vs. external hires). Casual dress code on Friday is a plus, though it really could be extended to the full week for most positions.

Cons

There’s a very strange culture that borders on nepotism. Everyone in the building has a family member or spouse that works there. And because the company grew so fast, there are a lot of people in managerial positions that don’t have the skills or knowledge required for their position. They got the role simply based off of seniority. These people also tend to hire more unqualified people to work underneath them, so the company is falling into a cycle of bad hires. So it sort of becomes a “who you know” situation when it comes to promotions. Compensation is highly dependent on bonus, which gives managers a lot of power over their employees. If you land in a bad situation, it can negatively affect your compensation for a year.
    As for career development, it can be hard to develop marketable skills with the tools/software that Navy uses. I have lobbied for Navy Federal to use tools/software that are more common in the marketplace, but Navy Federal is so behind the curve when it comes to technology that I would be shot down. And there’s only so much you can learn from Lynda.com (free for Navy Fed employees). In addition, the data infrastructure is horrendous. Massive growth over the past 10 years has created an incredibly fractured database system. Third party data tools are common, as they are easier to use than actually fixing the root problem. Efficiency has been ignored at the company because the massive growth is making the company look so good. In turn, senior leadership have sought to “create empires”, hiring just for the sake of making themselves more powerful in terms of number of reports they have.
    Parking is a huge problem, though it has gotten better with the opening of the new parking garage. There are no telework options, except for some key roles in IT. Everyone is required to be in the office 5 days a week, which is absolutely absurd in this day and age. Especially in the DC metro area, with its ridiculous traffic. Sick Leave and Vacation are in separate buckets, would rather have as single bank of leave. 401k match doesn’t vest for 2 years. The CEO puts on a good public face, but says some things to employees that are downright offensive.

Advice to Management

Join the present day and let your senior level employees telework. Invest in your people and your technology, no one wants to work at a company that is using old software and tech.

3. "It's great"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union (More than 5 years)

Pros

They are an amazing company that truly cares about its employees. Their pay and benefits are the best in the business.

Cons

I wish they had more opportunities for their employees to work from home. That would be very nice and beneficial to all

4. "Delinquency Control Counselor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, opportunity for overtime, team effort

Cons

Auto dialer, very fast pace environment, unusual high expectations

Advice to Management

One minute late from lunch should not effect a person performance appraisal. We're people not robots.

5. "Working at Navy Federal Credit Union"

Former Intern - Intern in Vienna, VA
    Former Intern - Intern in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, friendly and trustworthy employees, helpful supervisors

Cons

There wasn't any cons that I experienced while working for this company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and you guys are doing a great job.

6. "NFCU Lending"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees can become credit union members.

Cons

Poor pay.
    Poor work/life balance.
    No telecommuting options.
    Finally introduced maternity leave in 2017 - slow to advance with current trends.

7. "Navy Federal Employee"

Current Employee - Mortgage Service Assistant/Loan Processor in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Mortgage Service Assistant/Loan Processor in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union (More than a year)

Pros

Navy Federal is a wonderful company to work for. They offer loads of training material to help improve your overall experience or if you're looking to pursue another goal in the future. Navy Federal also provides great benefits, discounts and volunteering if you're interested.

Cons

Pay isn't as much as other outside companies would pay due to benefits, etc. Also, if you work in mortgage or have any past mortgage experience, OT is a pretty much a must, it may also require you to come in during the weekend to ensure your files meet the commitment period.

"Great Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Vice President in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They have great benefits and really care about their employees. They have obtained numerious awards for best place to work for, diversity, women and for young people.

Cons

Does have some military management styles but not in a real negative way.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

9. "Outstanding Employer"

Current Employee - Regulatory Compliance Analyst in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Regulatory Compliance Analyst in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Navy Federal focuses on developing internal talent and providing upward mobility. Benefits and strong member service values builds loyal employees, as well as tenured ones. They value hard work, integrity, and commitment to quality service, and reward employees who excel.

Cons

Commuting can be difficult, particularly in the DC Metro area. Telework opportunities are limited primarily to IT personnel. While parking is free at the main campuses, available space is limited. Navy Federal offers car pool and public transportation benefits to offset parking difficulties, but the DC area metro system makes commutes longer rather than shorter.

Advice to Management

Institute broader telework options for employees, particularly in the DC Metro area, where commutes frequently exceed an hour in length.

"I Wish I Was Treated Like A Human Being"

Former Employee - Intern in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice building.
    Benefits for all employees(interns, part-time, contractors not included)
    Events held at HQ are very nice
    Fellow employees are great

Cons

Area has a lot of traffic
    No benefits
    Terrible Management
    Extremely low pay
    Unfair treatment
    Micromanaging

First and foremost I wanna say that I have never had a job that has treated me worse in my whole life. Everything started out well with a cubicle and a manageable amount of work. Then a months or so in they moved me into a makeshift desk where they kept the printer, desk was 1/3 the size of the small cube I had before. There were no drawers provided, no scanners to file papers, a nice big pillar within grabbing distance taking up what little space I had, and people would walk through my "desk" to go down the isle which was very distracting. Manager did not care about complaints regarding this. The amount of work I was assigned was ridiculous, I would ask other interns what they did and it was 1/5 the amount of work. Other employees in my team who didn't (no offense to them I understand coming here from another country) speak proper English or have a degree like myself were doing less work than me. Not a lot less work but much easier work which wouldn't be bad but they were considered REAL employees who got benefits and paid more than my $11/hour, way more. On a side note I've had people ask me how much I get paid that work for the company and they laughed right in my face. I was an intern which meant I was allowed to work less hours than a normal employee because of school, well I took about 8 hours off a week, and my manager didn't lower any of my assigned workload even a slight bit. She simply said "oh the intern before you did the same amount of work when going to school" which would of been a reasonable statement if it wasn't for the fact that in our meetings they showed stats that the amount of claims that came in per month on average increase from 4000 to 7000 from the pervious year. The previous year that that intern worked, was a almost 2:1 difference. Oh and he actually had a desk fit for a normal human as well as the rest of the interns that worked there. Honestly I felt singled out for no reason, I was nothing but professional with management and had no complaints about my behavior that may have caused me to have gotten on someone's bad side. There are more things I could but that would probably make this review to long to even bother reading, which heck it could already be. I was miserable every minute of the day I was there, but I was all for one ultimate goal, to be a employee at Navy Federal Credit Union. Finally the day came where I got my opportunity, I had applied for two positions and had two interviews schedule for Friday for those positions. I went out and bought a suit, got a haircut, and practiced more hours in the mirror than I could count. I came in that Friday turning heads, I didn't sleep the night before I was so excited and just kept going over possible interview questions. I came in that Friday with a meeting schedule with my manager that she strangely had scheduled for the same time as my first interview that she refused to change. So I had to cancel one of my two interviews but I was still excited. Everyone in the office wished me good luck as well as offered advice and was happy for me(except my manager). Well I headed off to the meeting with my manager thinking only of my interview afterwords. Well to put it short I was FIRED on that day. The reason was being late. Now to be honest yes I was late. My manager was extremely strict with the time you are allowed to clock in 7:58-8:04 to be exact actually. A 6 minute time frame which no other managers that I heard of instilled as well. Well it was midterms at school and I believe I had been late a few times the last couple weeks. To be precise I believe the last three times were 5 minutes, 2 minutes, and 1 minute late to clock in. I had a 1 hour 15 minute drive to work in a extremely traffic filled route to work. Yes it is my fault and I understand that I did due to me not wanting to be there any longer than I had to be I didn't show up 30 minutes early like she suggested. Oh and you can't clock in before 7:58 so that would a unpaid 28 minutes to "go grab a coffee" as she suggested. Well anyways despite the fact that other employees of hers would arrive 2 hours late due to oversleeping or call in sick multiple times a week(BTW SHE MARKED MY SICK DAYS (3 to be precise) AS DAYS I WAS TARDY) I was fired. Well you're probably thinking that it's okay because I still have a chance at those two interviews? No, I was unhirable after termination apparently. And was the rumor around the office that our manager hated when people left her department and did everything she could to hold you back? Yes. But yeah that's my story, props to you for reading up till this far if you did. I hung my head and was escorted out of the building with my little box of stuff. If you're applying or have an interview you'll most likely have a great job there that you'll retire too, but be warned if you're a intern.

Advice to Management

Treat your "employees" like humans, please.