Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Courtney Phillips

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place, great people, and great mission!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with the Department just a few weeks and have enjoyed everything about it. From orientation to job shadowing until position training starts, the people are super friendly and honest. I felt welcome when I joined the team which I know will make the job easier as I feel appreciated and having the support of my coworkers as a new hire.

Cons

Not too many, just acclimating to all the regulations of government takes some time. As with Amy job, it takes training, patience and eagerness to really get involved with the Department and the position.

2. "Social Services Worker at Victory Road"

Current Employee - Social Services Worker in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Social Services Worker in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are the best. They understand all the issues and problems that management foist upon the workers. These friendships will last a lifetime.

Cons

Management DOESN'T CARE! They have unrealistic quotas, because they give extra work above and beyond your quotas. THEY DO NOT ALLOW ANY OVERTIME to get the extra work done. As someone previous stated, management plays favorites and you do not say or do anything out of the ordinary to their favorites. At the call center, management monitors (listens) to everything said in the cubic farm. Anyone that makes a suggestion on how to improve efficiency is poo-pooed and will be watched as a rabble-rouser. We keep our mouths shut and can only talk to each other about work off-premises.

Advice to Management

Management is suffocating. Management says that work tasks are thousands behind, which of course costs the state million$??? There is no incentive to do more or do a good job, just do the quotas and the minimally quickest way to answer the client or "fix" the case. If there was ever an audit of the actual work that is being done, this system would FAIL. Management knows that and no one here will ever rock the boat or even ask a question because you will be FIRED! It is a tense environment and I have started looking at other state jobs. I can't live like this.

3. "Data Analyst Intern"

Current Employee - Data Analyst Intern in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Data Analyst Intern in Lincoln, NE

Pros

They have great work and life balance. People there are generally friendly. Most of the grant requirement we need to answer are state level grant.

Cons

No a really technology work. If you want to seek for a more challenge or technological type of work. It might not be your choice

Advice to Management

Add more meeting space and using a standardized methods a measure everyone's performace

4. "Stepping stone"

Current Employee - Executive Chef in Bellevue, NE
    Current Employee - Executive Chef in Bellevue, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services (More than a year)

Pros

Great benifits, weekends off, dreamy chef gig

Cons

Untrained/people that don't care, unprofessional coworkers, people that do not understand the 72 hour rules an policies of caterings

5. "Grand Island Veterans Home"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Island, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Island, NE

Pros

The greatest thing about the Grand Island Veterans Home is the people. These are the kindest people and members I have ever had the pleasure of working with. Everyone says hello in the halls if they know you or not and it is just a happy place to be.

Cons

The only con I see is the same across any health care facility and that is the shortage of nurses.

Advice to Management

Continue to treat all staffs as they are important. More recognition of staff; staff engagement and events would be helpful. Let them know that for all of the hours they put in, it is also okay to enjoy some time at work too.

"Don't go there"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Island, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Island, NE

Pros

Being able to impact the lives of those who have served as Veterans. Hourly employees are nice and care about Veterans.

Cons

Bad pay, bad management, poor leadership, too political. Leadership does not care about employees.

Advice to Management

Start listening to employees and learn to delegate.

"It's fine. Really just fine."

Current Employee - Information Technology Analyst in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Information Technology Analyst in Lincoln, NE

Pros

Some modicum of job security after the mandatory 6-month probationary period. Benefits are decent. Supplemental life insurance at up to 5x salary is appreciated, and it's only a few bucks per month. Vacation and sick time are at typical rates, but you get all federal holidays off paid, and also Arbor Day, which is really cool, since banks and other places aren't typically closed, so you can get stuff done.

Cons

Innovation and idealism are discouraged to the extent that it doesn't take long before you, like everyone else, are just showing up for the paycheck. There are extremely cheesy morale-boosting initiatives that seem to be a colossal waste of time. MUCH time is spent organizing pot lucks and the like. Nearly all of the walls are off-white. It's soul-sucking. Power in the NSOB has failed catastrophically three times in the time I've been here, and it's murders productivity and makes for very long days.

Think Office Space, but take away the fun.

Advice to Management

Do any kind of research to make the NSOB a building people will actually want to work in. A cube farm is a cube farm, but it's SO vanilla.

"Social Services Worker Trainee-Graduate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, NE

I worked at Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, Good People. Set Schedule. Good Training.

Cons

Constantly training new people for this position because as soon as one achieves 6 month Certificate, you must perform at top levels or you are let go. Call Center Work.

9. "Beware!!"

Former Employee - Medication Aide in Grand Island, NE
    Former Employee - Medication Aide in Grand Island, NE

I worked at Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Alzheimer's Unit had the best management and most staff.

Cons

That building is so old. The rooms are so small. Our vets are not getting what the families are expecting. There were never enough people on staff. we could never keep up with all the call lights. Immobile residents had it the worst because they had to wait until two people could come and move them. There were never enough people on staff to give quality of life to our people that fought for our Freedom. What about their Freedom. People in prison have better food and better care.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting staff down to nothing. Let us do our jobs with respect and honor. Making them wait for so long that they soil themselves is not honor. Our Vets deserve more.

"SSW"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, NE

I worked at Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with made a few life long friends!

Cons

Don't get pregnant while working here; don't expect any support from management or administration; don't ask to many questions-you will be fired; don't leave your desk to go to the bathroom to much you will be written up and have to ask permission! You will be belittled and micromanaged as well. Vacation time and sick time can only be taken at administration discretion and heaven forbid you get sick cause the lady in HR will deny your FMLA claim because she doesn't understand the process and doesn't know the difference between a condition and a symptom of a condition or illness. Personal leave will be denied based on administration recommendation without any further explaination and you will have to work your tail off just to keep your job! There are no performance raises and if the government approves a yearly cost of living raise your health insurance cost will go up more than what your raise is meaning each year you are there you will actually bring home less money then before! Also know one is on the same page in the call center! You can ask 5 different people how to do something or process a case and you will receive 5 different answers. You will then get a 6th answer once quality reviews your work and you still did it wrong. Also you should expect to have no clue what to do when you get out of training and you will be told no when you ask for additional training or to sit with someone for help! Oh and they play favorites. Hopefully you fit in with the high school clicks that go on so you have half a shot at changing your schedule having any work life balance or getting approved for vacation time!

Advice to Management

Get it together! You need to support your employees and everyone needs to get on the same page. The training programs need redevelopment and need to actually apply to the job being preformed once out of training. Stop micromanaging and get a new administrator that actually cares about keeping employees! And stop playing favorites for schedule changes