Nebraska Furniture Mart Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Nebraska Furniture Mart Chairman and CEO Irv Blumkin
Irv Blumkin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They also provide great benefits" (in 34 reviews)

• "NFM believes in work life balance" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Retail Hours (this is just the nature of the business)" (in 15 reviews)

• "Management came to the conclusion that sales people should no longer get to leave early because "other jobs don't let their sales people leave early" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Great place to work in the IT field"

Current Employee - Software Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Software Analyst in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can only honestly review working in software development, because that's where I spend the majority of my time. I'm taken care of in my department. I have very flexible hours that allow me to come in early/leave early if need be or work four 9 hr days and a 4hr Friday. I can also work from home if I have a good reason to do so, such as a sick child or some other home maintenance is occurring. If the weather is poor, we are allowed to work from home as well. The employee discount is a nice perk, but oftentimes products can be bought on sale or from the clearance center for the same price as any other customer.

Cons

There are times where micromanagement can be an issue, though that varies from boss to boss and generally isn't a constant environment. The work environment is nice, though you can see where cost savings sometimes run a bit extreme. We are encouraged to find cost savings in the company wherever possible. This had lead to trashcans being removed from desks to save on janitorial labor and parking lot maintenance leads something to be desired. While I'm grateful for annual raises and a fair compensation plan, performance bonus is a nice perk I miss with this job.

Advice to Management

At times, recognition can be spotty for going above and beyond. When it does come, it is a coupon to pick up some branded merchandise at the company store.

2. "Flat company"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling
    Benefits are good

Cons

Don’t want to Pay what you are worth
    Slow to change

3. "NFM is the best"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best pay you will find if you are motivated and excellent at sales.

Cons

Retail is retail, you work weekends and deal with the public, but that is what you signed up for so no cons really.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work NFM. Was a pleasure working for you.

4. "Good work place"

Former Employee - Cashier in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Cashier in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training is detailed oriented

Cons

Managers all have different standards

"Great company but...."

Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Consultant in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Consultant in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At nfm you have potential to make over 100k a year, steady flow of customers. No base salary, commission only. The sky is the limit, work life balance is good. You will only work over 40 hours during the holidays.

Cons

I used to tell people how amazing NFM is to work at. I used to feel that it was a true grown up job. We had freedom to come in work with customers make some good money and go home. We are entirely paid based on commission. When we had too many people working we would send people home so that others could make more money. At one time if we had a family event that suddenly came up we could talk to management and they would be flexible and allow you to leave for the day. The culture in the department was fantastic. I don't know what changed but something majorly did change. We used to let out of the opening shift out early so that closers could make some money on slower days. I only opened one day per week and that one day if I was able to leave work early that was huge it really impacted my work ethic and helped me maintain a positive attitude while at work. Management came to the conclusion that sales people should no longer get to leave early because "other jobs don't let their sales people leave early. They leave when they are scheduled" I have many friends and family that work in sales and they understand it you are being paid on commission and there is little to no customers to be helped then they are able to leave the office or business for the day. Forcing sales people to stay until their scheduled shift when they are paid solely on commission is a ridiculous business mind set. We were expected to stand around until our scheduled shift ended whilst making little to no money. The argument from management was "you guys are essentially making $30-$40 an hour and you're complaining about having to work your shift?" what they fail to understand it's not that we wanted to leave because we were lazy and didn't want to make money, we wanted to leave because of the ratio of employees to customers. They don't understand how much it impacts positive mental attitude to feel valued and sympathized with. It meant the world for my manager to approach me and say "you killed it today, go ahead and get on out of here" that mindset quickly changed to "you don't want to stay here and make more money?!?" you can only be treated undervalued for so long before you start dreading coming into work, and I viewed my own performance to steadily decrease as the months rolled on. My advice is to treat your employees as valued salespeople and not as "crybabies" as mentioned by multiple manaagers, if you improve the happiness of your employees by rewarding them for doing well instead of only bringing them down when they don't do well. The culture in the department will improve and the performance of your employees will improve. You help us, we will help you. If you have too many sales people on a slow day for the love of God send them home, and get rid of this mentality that because of the money potential that gives you the right to undervalue your employees. Nfm used to be an excellent place to work and unfortunately the culture is nonexistent not only do sales people feel undervalued but salespeople no longer write up orders for eachother except for a select few. Managers need to get rid of the mindset that "hey we just need to get some better employees in here" instead maybe they should look at themselves and ask themselves why the department went from 23 people to 10 people.

Advice to Management

Let your sales people have more freedom. Do not nitpick on things that don't matter such as straightening merchandise ever so perfectly after a 10 hour shift. I use to tell people that the best thing about nfm is that if you hit your numbers and you show up then managers would essentially leave you alone and that they were mainly there for sales support. It was that way easily for the first year I was employed at nfm, but for some reason managers decided that sales people needed to be more heavily watched and restricted and that if you are scheduled a shift then that's the shift you work with no expectations and we quit doing sales contests that would allow to leave early if you were performing well, management needs to realize that yes the sales people at nfm do very well but instead of scrutinizing them when they underperform support them and give them rewards when they do well and simply saying "well you're getting paid aren't you?" is not a great way to acknowledge someone. The culture has never been worse in home theater department and I would hear multiple sales complain about it on the daily. Something definitely needs to be done and quickly because sales people are actively considering employment other places or other departments and they do not bring this to management because of the fear of feeling scrutinized or not taken seriously. Hopefully management will open their eyes.

6. "Interior Drsigner ASID"

Current Employee - Interior Designer in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Interior Designer in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work! 401k, insurance
    You have a opportunity to make a lot
    Of money and make lifelong friends and clients.

Cons

Retailer hours. On your feet all day. Some managers are not honest and do not follow the companies core values.

Advice to Management

There are some managers that really work hard to help you succeed and bonus however there are some that do everything they can to stop you from bonusing. Some
    Managers do not follow the companies core values and how they can get away with it is unbelievable and HR allows it. The
    Sad part is they have lost a lot of good employees because of that.

7. "Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, discounts, clean, products, services

Cons

Unprofessional, not living their core values, call people from India(red dot Canadians/or othe racists names) & avoid them at all costs since the are asking for to many discounts

Advice to Management

Research before making decision, fraternizing between line level & management

8. "It was fun to work there most of the time."

Former Employee - Warehouse Picker in The Colony, TX
    Former Employee - Warehouse Picker in The Colony, TX

I worked at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Constant work schedule other then holidays.

Cons

The Management could be overbearing sometimes.

9. "It's Okay"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The money, healthcare, dental and vision. 401k

Cons

No profit sharing anymore, continuous pay cuts, sales floor is flooded with sales people, general retail hours.

10. "Best Place I've Ever Worked!"

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- NFM is a big enough company that they offer great benefits, but small enough that they make you feel like a truly valued employee
    - Closed on major holidays (unheard of in retail)
    - Great team work
    - They offer amazing development opportunities
    - Great work/life balance

Cons

- It takes a "long time" for any updates/upgrades to be approved, even when it is genuinely needed