Nebraska Furniture Mart Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Nebraska Furniture Mart Chairman and CEO Irv Blumkin
Irv Blumkin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits and ability to create your own business within a business" (in 32 reviews)

• "pays well good benefits discounts" (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • "Retail Hours (this is just the nature of the business)" (in 14 reviews)

• "Hours; they will flood the floor with sales people during slow months" (in 12 reviews)

1. "Love it here"

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time

Pros

Management is extremely supportive and empowering. Their is always plenty of room for professional and personal growth.

Cons

It's a retail business so chances are you're working weekends.

Advice to Management

I love it here.

2. "Great place to work"

Pros

The pay is great, not a lot of experience necessary to make 6 figure or close income

Cons

Sales caps out and once your there, there is not a ton of room to move upward without taking a pay cut to be a manager

3. "Sales"

Current Employee - Home Office Sales in The Colony, TX
    Current Employee - Home Office Sales in The Colony, TX

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honesty & Integrity are valued here!
    Great Health Benefits
    Competitive Pay/PTO TIME
    Incredible Employee Recognition/Acknowledgement

Cons

There’s always some grumpy people in every workplace. Not everyone loves what they do. But still easy to work along side of.

Advice to Management

I appreciate their open willingness to communicate with staff. And their true open door policy.

4. "A company that actually cares about it’s employees"

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Fellow workers are respectful and helpful. Feels like family. I look forward to going to work every day.

Cons

Some of the people in decision making buying positions are book smart but don’t have enough experience to make wise decisions. Costly mistakes.

Advice to Management

Hire people with experience for the positions where company money is spent.

5. "Great environment and job security."

Current Employee - Category Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Category Analyst in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family orientated and open door policy

Cons

Favoritism is HUGE throughout the company

6. "Overall great place to work"

Current Employee - Process Improvement Analyst II in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Process Improvement Analyst II in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employee relationships, flexible, benefits, environment

Cons

Favoritism, gender inequality, inconsistent recognition

Advice to Management

Require mnagers to give more recognition, very lopsided dept to dept

7. "Mixed Messages Confuses Employees"

I worked at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time

Pros

Financially stable large company with 4 locations in different states, owned by Berkshire-Hathaway (Warren Buffet), offers employees great benefits. Great products for the home (furniture, appliance, electronics and more), great initial training, claims to value employees and upper management talks about work/life balance (closed on all major holidays, rewards for employees). Beautiful work environment.

Cons

I worked at the last store they built. It was so huge that when it opened, they had to hire a tremendous amount of people to staff it. Not all were really qualified. They also did not take advantage of the qualified people's knowledge of the area which could have alleviated some issues . Initially advertising in the local area did not reflect the demographics they were trying to attract. Had major issues with delivery and issues with delivery and product damages reflected on the initial sales person's income, even if it was not their fault. Middle management was under the gun, which resulted in a lot of qualified personnel being fired or quitting by just walking out with no notice. Management asked for input from employees, but when it was given, it was often ignored. Management often claimed that all stores had to have the same procedures, but we would find out that that was not always the case. The mixed messages we got from upper management and middle management confused the employees. Turnover was destabilizing.

Advice to Management

Listen to your qualified employees. Address issues that affect their growth and income potential. Burnout can become an issue. Recognize issues and acknowledge them. And in the future if you open additional stores in different states, use the knowledge of your qualified employees as to the local buyer climate.

"Before you apply *READ*"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are better than most retail companies out there.

Cons

The following is solely towards sales positions as I can not speak for any other positions. This company makes you feel as if the most important thing is there core values but seem to have forgotten them years ago. Every new rule seems to target sales staff for everything wrong with NFM but they don't bother to look at the real problems like unnecessary returns that put our jobs at risk. Every six months new rules come out that take all of our rewards away, like better pricing on clearance and letting vendors give us gifts. Growth within the company once you become a salesperson is incredible difficult, near impossible, that is unless you know someone in the department you want to go to. Bachelor's degree won't help neither, the sales floor is basically like a car dealership. Before you apply, please walk the follow and ask salespeople their honest opinion about working here, because trust me this rating is fix for sure.

Advice to Management

Don't forget that you your once a salesperson. Some managers need to get off their high horse and learn to be true managers, ones that inspire people to be better, not inspire people to leave elsewhere.

9. "Not a bad place"

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time

Pros

Good pay and good people

Cons

Culture has shifted to a more micromanaging place

Advice to Management

Trust employees

10. "Commissioned Sales"

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not being chained to a desk

Cons

Volunteering my time. When customer traffic is slow, it’s highly likely that I’ll end the day with zero money earned. No sales, no money. Most days typically are not heavy traffic. Many people ask for help, we call managers to get prices lowered, we literally move furniture and mattresses - we do it knowing that if they don’t buy, we did it for free. If I were wealthy and didn’t have a family to support, this program would work😮

Advice to Management

Use common sense and start treating sales people like we are worthy of more than indentured servitude.