Nebraska Furniture Mart Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Irv Blumkin

Pros
Cons
  • Management could do better job making sure sales people aren't dumping customers (in 9 reviews)

• Company treats sales staff as if they are a dime a dozen (in 8 reviews)

1. "order puller"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

Pros

Good pay, benefits. Don't have to speak english.

Cons

Terrible discount program. Dangerous lifting expectations for a single order picker. Half of your coworkers don't speak english. no music.

Advice to Management

go pull a 400lb piece of furniture or gun safe 60ft up by yourself and see how safe it feels. remember no back brace policy!

2. "Not bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, culture, development opportunities

Cons

Some departments lack good prioritization structure, causing inefficiencies and frustration on departments which deal with them (IT and Receiving, for example). Longevity of some employees results in old ways of thinking and those employees refuse to adapt to new ideas or processes which are more efficient and cost-effective.

Advice to Management

Take control of the departments which aren't making decisions based on ROI, but instead on "that hasn't worked before" or "that's the way we've always done it", etc.

3. "This Is My Review Title"

Former Employee - Delivery Ops in The Colony, TX
    Former Employee - Delivery Ops in The Colony, TX

I worked at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have great benefit packages and can be flexible with time off

Cons

Management seems to play favorites, doesn't promote the best person for the job, not all employees are held to the same standard. I felt there was no upward options for me.

Advice to Management

I know small things don't seem to matter right now, but they add up when hardworking employees are consistently seeing others not doing their job and not getting in trouble for it.

"Salesperson"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in The Colony, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in The Colony, TX

I worked at Nebraska Furniture Mart (More than a year)

Pros

Sales are good however writing people up for returns is wrong. Also no sending a truck for a 18k order to please a customer cost me 600 in commissions then when I complained I was fired. These people suck

Cons

Company violates sales policies to support manager favorites and if you complain your fired. Company lies about you and will not pay unemployment. They also illegally steal your commissions. These are shady people. I plan on protesting the store.

Advice to Management

Fire the bottom floor sales managers. Treat woman better.

"Material Handler"

Current Employee - Material Handler in The Colony, TX
    Current Employee - Material Handler in The Colony, TX

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and fair benefits.

Cons

Poor supervision. Employees play on cell phones and consistently clock in late. Yet, the immature supervisors don't address these employees who are dead weight. I consider myself a responsible and engaged employee, but it gets really old busting my butt and these others continue to fly under the radar.

Advice to Management

Hire mature, responsible leaders who are able to successfully manage, motivate, and hold others accountable. The leaders are running off the good employees, so they can keep the underperformers. How does that even make sense?!

7. "not that great of a place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

has decent people to work with

Cons

very short on issues relating to diversity

Advice to Management

listen to your staff. Add more minorities to management staff

"Nebraska Furniture Mart - Omaha, NE"

Former Employee - Bedding Sales in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Bedding Sales in Omaha, NE

I worked at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money is great with no college degree required unless you want to be in management. No commission cap on sales.

Cons

Management is horrible. They micromanage everybody regardless of your sales and how long you've been there. If you disagree with them in any capacity they no longer want you there and will find any reason to get rid of you, whether it's valid or not. There is absolutely no level of respect between employee and management. You are just another body to them and do not make you feel wanted or needed and make it clear that you are easily replaceable unless you're a top salesperson in your department.

It did not used to be like this and they used to be voted one of the best companies to work for, but they've changed a lot in the past year and have gotten really cheap as a company. Part of you're paycheck and monthly reviews (something you can be fired for) are based off of surveys but customer service between management, the customer service department and the customer are horrible. And the salesperson gets blamed for it. Salespeople take the heat for absolutely everything, whether it's their fault or not. So beware.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. Don't find reasons to nitpick every single thing your employees do and actually hear them out when they give recommendations. The sales people are on the sales floor and deal with 90% of customer problems and complaints, the managers do not, yet don't care about their employee's opinions about anything.

9. "No job security"

Former Employee - Sales in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Sales in Omaha, NE

I worked at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, 401k, wifi sucks , dont get fired for writing thank you cards !!

Cons

No job security, ms.Bee fired 10+ employees in 2 months
    Managers have their favorites

Advice to Management

get good management that values their employees, employees come first !! Learn that

10. "Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work the best management team in omaha

Cons

I really cant think of any

11. "Material Handler"

I worked at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time

Pros

Market average pay and great benefits. Excellent location draws customers into the store which handles all major brands at a good price. A stable and secure company.

Cons

Work schedule changed 5 times in my 1 1/2 yr's employed. Work was not varied and employee's did the same task 8 hr's a day, 40 hr's per week. Employee's were written up for being sick with a doctors excuse.

Advice to Management

Stop looking for warm bodies to fill positions and treat employee's how you would like to be treated. Working under staffed leads to employee's leaving or burnout.