Nebraska Furniture Mart Reviews | Glassdoor

Irv Blumkin
  1. "It's a decent job"

Current Employee - Customer Pick Up Specialist in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Start out with reasonable pay. Opportunities to move up. Plenty of overtime available if desired.

Cons

Weekend work is required. As are days close to holidays.

Advice to Management

Consistently train your employees to ensure work is done properly.

Nebraska Furniture Mart2019-07-08

July 9, 2019Human Resources Director

I appreciate your feedback - I agree that ongoing training is a key to happy, staff members and to an overall successful business. If you have specific suggestions, let your Department Managers or HR know.

2. "Czar type atmosphere"

Current Employee - Warehouse in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Discount on non electronic items

Cons

Cronyism. Promotion based on favoritism over experience reward system of items nobody wants Benefits could be way better.

Advice to Management

Separate the warehouse from the store as in the type of functions that go on Revamp the benefits to things warehouse employees actually need/want. Get rid of the refer a friend program that eventually promotes cronyism. Better pay by hiring only efficient employees

Nebraska Furniture Mart2019-07-06

July 9, 2019Human Resources Director

Good news - the Warehouse Division has been a separate entity from the Retail Store Division since Jan 2019. We also have a new assessment to be used in the hiring process to help us select the best new workers for our open jobs.

3. "It was great team work"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in The Colony, TX

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers were great we worked as a team

Cons

Supervisors would write you up even if you had a drs note. My wife and I went through a miscarriage that didn’t come out and had to go in and out of the er till they finally had to get it out so I had to stay with her since we have no family but each other and have a 2 year old and it was going to be hard after her surgery to be alone with the baby and I got fired for calling off to be with her even with drs notes saying...

Advice to Management

Put hr in charge of absence and stop all the favoritism or you will loose a lot of hard working people just cause they called it to their attention

Nebraska Furniture Mart2019-07-27

August 6, 2019Human Resources Director

I am sorry for you and your spouse regarding your family tragedy. If you want to talk with an HR Rep- please call the office. We are happy to discuss and review. Megan BB - HR Director

"Good part time job"

Former Employee - Customer Pick Up Specialist in The Colony, TX

I worked at Nebraska Furniture Mart part-time

Pros

Reasonable pay for a college student. Good hours.

Cons

Customer Service. Have to work weekends.

Advice to Management

Need to learn how to manage a group of people, or else people are gonna complain about the workload being contributed.

Nebraska Furniture Mart2019-06-15

June 17, 2019Human resources Director

We appreciate your comments and will share with the local management team. And - good luck in college!!

5. "Be careful"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in The Colony, TX

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, training and break rooms along with discounts

Cons

Managers are very much two faced. Long hours on feet with a very difficult dress code.

Advice to Management

Don’t lie and take sides

Nebraska Furniture Mart2019-07-13

July 15, 2019Human Resources Director

Sounds like you had a rough time- if you'd like to discuss, please visit the local HR office or call me - Megan BB.

6. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Compensation Analyst in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My contribution to the organization is recognized. My manager is very supportive and I have met some really good people.

Cons

Retail hours may not be for everyone.

Nebraska Furniture Mart2019-06-03

June 4, 2019Human resources Director

Working for an employer who recognizes your efforts and values your expertise (and you as a person) does make work a pretty great place. We are glad you like NFM!!

7. "Furniture sales"

Former Employee - Salesperson in The Colony, TX

I worked at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Open floor—no “Up System”. This allowed for aggressive sales

Cons

Salespeople taking your customers. Also, too much turnover in management. Micromanaging by sales managers that cannot sell themselves!! Lots of lies and name thrashing without investigation even though they have 900+ cameras in the store.

Advice to Management

Treat your best salespeople with respect and don’t always believe customers because they always want something for nothing. The same goes for certain salespeople—make sure you do a background check—they have done with criminal records

Nebraska Furniture Mart2019-07-09

August 6, 2019Human Resources Director

Thanks for your review- NFM does do criminal background checks and evaluates each report individually. Good luck in your career!

8. "No good employees"

Former Employee - Receiving in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good workout. Some good guys working there.

Cons

Too many people working there that constantly show up late, are slow to start, milk the clock, and repeatedly put others in danger because they don't care.

Advice to Management

Get rid of half of your staff, increase wages, and have better food available for purchase for people that don't want to go to jack in the box for lunch and only have a few bucks to their name.

Nebraska Furniture Mart2019-06-07

June 10, 2019Human resources Director

Sorry to hear your frustration. At NFM we do care about attendance and strive to maintain a highly engaged and productive workforce. We also review wages each year and make adjustments as needed- in addition to the annual merit increases earned by our staff of up to 7%. I am happy ...

9. "Fantastic"

Current Employee - Bedroom Sales Associate in The Colony, TX

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. You can literally suck at sales and still make honest paychecks as long as you put in the effort. 2. Nebraska does such a fantastic job of marketing that there is a constant flow of customers to earn commission off of. 3. Prices are nearly always beating competitors, giving sales people a much more trustworthy status within the store. 4. The Colony, Tx, and surrounding areas, are booming. Nebraska is filling these...

Cons

There are very few. - The chain of command is pretty small, meaning that once you become a generic floor manager, it gets pretty difficult to move vertically. But the reality is that the average salesperson (according to 2018 NFM statistics), makes $55,000/year which is just above the normal starting rate of a floor manager at $53,000. I personally feel like I am just an average salesman that puts a little extra work...

Advice to Management

Don’t power trip. And every once in a while, sales people actually are having beneficial conversations. So ask before jumping to conclusions and a bad attitude when it comes to grouping.

Nebraska Furniture Mart2019-05-14
  10. "Over rated"

Current Employee - Sales in Clive, IA

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time for more than a year

Pros

The social culture and what the company does socially for the employees is great!

Cons

There are way to many layers in place for selling special order items and expect them to be delivered on a timely basis.

Advice to Management

Simplify this process.

Nebraska Furniture Mart2019-06-16

June 18, 2019Human Resources Director

Thanks for the feedback and for the positive comments. As you are aware, NFM is implementing a massive Supply Chain package that also includes new roles and functions at NFM. We are first working on date accuracy, which has improved 28% in the last 90 days. We are also doing ...

Found 445 reviews