Nebraska Medicine Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dan DeBehnke, MD, MBA

Pros
  • Patient care oriented, family place (in 5 reviews)

• The work environment is ok and I do like my actual job (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits are horrible and the only employer in omaha where you must pay to park in their lot (in 5 reviews)

• Work/life balance was difficult when manning was short (in 3 reviews)

1. "RN"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Medicine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job opportunties, academic learning environment, friendly docs

Cons

Constant changes, high expectations

Advice to Management

Less emphasis on HCAPS, more on staff satisfaction

"I No Longer Believe in Nebraska Medicine"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Nebraska Medicine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You will meet amazing, dedicated people working for this company.

Cons

Ambulatory Directors are low-level sadists. Since the positions were created just a few years ago, they've used their power (unrealistic demands, ridiculous goals, micromanaging), ambition, fear, and sheer playground bullying to pick off the managers one by one. ALL of these cases these were dedicated healthcare professionals with long tenures of serving Clarkson, UMA, Nebraska Medicine with no previous performance issues. Experts at manipulating as well as “managing up”, HR and leadership look the other way, ignoring the obvious pattern as good people lose careers they care about and staff and patients suffer as a result of this tyranny. This sounds like an exaggeration but I honestly believe one person's power trip is affecting our ability to provide "serious medicine, extraordinary care" in the ambulatory environment. Why do you think no one in this community turns to Nebraska Medicine for primary care?

Advice to Management

Advice to senior leadership is futile. I attempted to discuss concerns with leadership, Employee Relations, HR... no one listened or cared, and it's clear now this is a pattern.

"CT Technologist"

Current Employee - CT Technologist in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - CT Technologist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Medicine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are able to obtain and maintain skills because of the depth of scans done everyday.

Cons

Management sees you as a number. Everyone is replaceable. There is never any consideration to how busy we are and if we ever get a lunch/bathroom break.

Advice to Management

Take notice to how busy your workers are. Without them, the department would not make it.

"HR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Nebraska Medicine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nebraska Medicine is on the cutting edge of medical science and does provide good medical care to their patients.

Cons

Senior management does not look at the organization as a hospital, but a money-making machine. The people at the top are more likely to take actions that will benefit their wallets instead of what would make the organization a better company for which to work. More than once the CHCO declared he wanted to make the organization the best place to work in Omaha, Nebraska, the US, etc. -- but he has been able to persuade his colleagues to make necessary changes to increase workplace morale which is certainly low.
    They proclaim a work-life balance, but I was working 60 hours a week just to keep up with my work load and worked weekends; all these extra hours were unpaid due to my employment status.

While I was working for free, other employee groups were getting millions of dollars thrown at them so they wouldn't walk off the job.

This organization preaches "Serious Medicine, Extraordinary Care" but they hire people who care more about the size of their paychecks than the patients they were hired to help.

Nebraska Med is using valuable real estate to build a hotel that the CEO himself said "would not be in the price range of most of our patients" -- this all the while other hospitals in the area have started to offer free housing to their patients who have to come in from out of town for treatments.

Advice to Management

Don't limit your employee pool with new policies when you've made the mistake of expanding with no plan to keep staffing levels up.

Give up your millions in bonuses and start spending some capital on making the lives of ALL your employees better.

Stop making your employees pay for parking -- people shouldn't have to pay to come to work.

"Send this new CEO back to Milwaukee, let's take our hospital back."

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Medicine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Abundance of opportunity if you can stomach the corporate changes that are so detrimental to patient care.

Cons

Recent changes due to new CEO have made this a dangerous place for patients, which makes caring for them soul crushing. This used to be an amazing hospital that had the patients concerns and well being front and center. Sadly this is no longer true, in fact the things I see on a daily basis clearly indicate that generating revenue at the expense of patient safety/well being is now the name of the game. As a nurse who has been here 14 years it is horrifying to see how badly quality of patient care has declined. Toxic work environment.

Advice to Management

Stop being so cavalier with the funds from those who pay taxes. I have never witnessed such poor stewardship. Take care of these beautiful buildings on our campus rather than trashing them. I can bet you don't ignore upkeep on your home the way you refuse to maintain any building on campus that is more than 10 years old. We are losing patients at an alarming rate and I can't blame them for leaving. We still have some bright doctors, but with things being so mismanaged much of that talent isn't being completely utilized so our best and brightest will continue to run for the hills just like the patients are doing.

"Great-Good-Bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Medicine (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's a large organization so there are vast differences from dept. to dept. Some are managed terrifically and some not so much with everything else in between. Pay is decent. Some depts. will not put up with non-performers.

Cons

Some departments(mine) will put up with non-performers and bad actors to their dept's detriment. This has caused low morale. My manager doesn't want to deal with low performing personnel and is in denial that the problem exists.

Advice to Management

Find a way to convince the managers that can't or won't deal with non-performers to do something about that problem. A team in my dept. is stupidly adding staff when they really need to reign-in or simply term a few people first. It's bad when people strut in and brag about how little they do. It's really bad when management hears it and looks the other way.

7. "Paid time off is horrible - just 2 weeks annually during the first few years. Competitors offer over 4 weeks on Day 1"

Former Employee - Director in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Director in Omaha, NE

I worked at Nebraska Medicine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Highly ranked medical institution. Can really learn a lot here, and make a difference to the community. Close to downtown. Growing fast with addition on new facilities. Nice on site fitness facility as well. Good options at the various cafes at the main campus.

Cons

Have to pay for parking onsite. The main building is really old - badly needs renovation. The main campus needs more parking.

Advice to Management

Please revise your paid time off. It needs to be doubled - at a minimum. Several other large hospital systems offer 4 weeks and more on Day 1, increasing by a week after every 5 years. This needs to be done to stay competitive.

Nebraska Medicine Response

Nov 14, 2016 – Corp Publications Sr Analyst

Thank you for the feedback. As far as paid time off goes, it's important to mention that an additional 40 hours per calendar year are included as personal/sick time, which can be used at an ... More

8. "Great for college unless going into nursing, than great career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Medicine (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere with great co-workers.
    Very flexible hours
    A great college job. I highly recommend if going to college

Cons

For the amount of work assigned, the pay is not as high as expected and the duties and roles are very minimal. Not a lot of growth unless your en-route to be a nurse

9. "Open"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Medicine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of opportunities for those starting their careers

Cons

Too business-focused and not enough compassion or ethics

Advice to Management

Value colleagues with experience and wisdom

10. "New employee, but so far great experience!"

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Medicine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nebraska Medicine offers a great variety of benefits available for full and part time employees working over 20 hours a week.

Cons

Although benefits are offered, they seem to be at higher premiums than other area companies. Health insurance high deductible plan is still expensive.