Necessary Objects Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Ady Gluck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good place"

Former Employee - Merchandising Stylist-designer/Production Coordinator in Long Island City, NY

I worked at Necessary Objects full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was very nice learned a lot, great place to work and make connections. Very nice people. Would highly recommend to newbies

Cons

None, very pleasant great place sometimes didn't like to work people did yell but it okay I liked it a lot

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

2. "Assistant design intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Necessary Objects as an intern

Creative Director is highly knowledgeable

Cons

nothing much you get your feet into the real fashion business

"Assistant Designer"

Former Employee - Assistant Designer in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Designer in Long Island City, NY

I worked at Necessary Objects full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros at this company.

Cons

-Low pay (no health benefits, or any benefits at all actually, some paid holidays)
    -The two owners yell/scream literally every day and threaten to kill and fire people (no joke).
    -Very stressful environment (after working here for about a month I started having chest pains due to stress and anxiety, I had never had anything like this happen to me previously).
    -I only knew of one person in my department that had paid time off, she had 5 personal days.
    -At the time there were no paid sick days.
    -Low morale throughout the whole office.
    -Clocking in and out was very strict (being a few minutes late was a big problem).
    -You aren't allowed to leave at night unless you say "goodnight" to the boss. If she is in a meeting you have to wait for it to be over.
    -The company was involved in a lawsuit in which they were found guilty of using sweatshops in nyc. You can google "necessary objects lawsuit" to find out more info.
    -Bosses will often call-out and embarrass employees in front of others.
    -Archaic system
    -One of the bosses has a set of security tv's in his office that watched all employees. The bosses didn't trust anyone.

Advice to Management

The two main issues with this company are the two bosses - you guys need to not yell and humiliate your employees.

4. "Great experience, but salary and environment were not so hot."

Current Employee - Assistant Designer
    Current Employee - Assistant Designer

I have been working at Necessary Objects full-time

Pros

Experience, give you responsibilities, never a boring day

Cons

Super tense work environment. No respect for employees. If you don't ask for a raise, you will probably never get one.

5. "it is grait place to learn about domestic production."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

it is grait place for beginers, it is not big company and you are able to learn a lott. but you have to beable to multitask.

Cons

if you already have experince with small companies you know after one year there is nothing much to learn and salary is not hight.

Advice to Management

it is time to thinck to make salary little more higher, otherwise you are doing grait job. i do miss working for this company.

6. "Quality control team was heart of production. Without us there would not be any happy ending in production process."

Former Employee - Quality Control in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Quality Control in New York, NY

Pros

Quality control had best supervisor and I was lucky to work in his team. To supervise production in very fast pace environment not easy tusk and only person who was able to walk us true this difficult process was our quality control supervisor who also is co owner of company.

Cons

If you are looking for grows there is very little opportunity for it. Salaries are not high and there is no perspective to get one.

Advice to Management

They have to raise salary and give young people room for grows. Also there design team works very slowly even they have all people they need they never finish their job on time. That puts production on edge to miss shipping dates.