KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America Reviews

Updated Oct 16, 2021

Found 237 of over 246 reviews

3.9
Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America CEO Bruce Marks (no image)
Bruce Marks
Pros
  • "I get to do what I love, which is help people(in 34 reviews)

• "If you are dedicated and want to help others this is the place for you(in 12 reviews)

• Cons
  • "As far as cons go, being apart of the NACA family you will work long hours some days(in 34 reviews)

• "I would have to say the work life balance is a challenge(in 10 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Ok

Sep 16, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good place fun different pay

Cons

Bad schedule pay people schedule

Online Operations Coordinator

Thank you for your comments. As a non-profit housing counseling and community advocacy organization, working at NACA is a very different experience from what many people are used to. But that's why we have so many people who have been with us for ten, twelve and even twenty years. NACA's fight for economic justice does require dedication, sometimes long hours, and a personal commitment to improve the lives of others, all while making a good living for yourself. that's why we say you can "do well while doing good" at NACA.

2. 2.0
      Former Employee

Housing Counselor

Oct 16, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity to learn about the real estate industry

Cons

Lack of training and/or adequate guidance

Online Operations Coordinator

Thank you for your comments. Training is in fact a major part of employment at NACA. Each new employee receives a full week of training before beginning their job, regardless of the position. Housing counselors receive additional training toward receiving HUD certification and still more training is provided by NACA for counselors seeking their NMLS. Our national monthly online staff meeting also includes updates from each major department at NACA to keep the staff up to date on policy or procedure changes as well as dealing with common issues that may crop up for our members. We are sorry you didn't find your time at NACA more fulfilling and wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Work that you feel good about

Sep 13, 2021 - Mortgage Loan Officer Aka Mortgage Counselor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Best product and most cost efficient in the industry The product sells itself so you can focus on the families and counseling them as opposed to feeling like you're in a high production sales environment You go home feeling like you served your purpose from a community service perspective and performed meaningful work NACA fully covers the cost of all training and certifications and the pace increases the likelihood of passing the 1st time around You focus on the same loan product, so you become well versed rather quickly At your service and Tuesday Night Review provide support for getting challenging files through the process

Cons

Operational efficiency -stabilize system issues/failures, implement some aspects of traditional mortgage lending production role structure, eliminate redundancies and waste in the process Culture- Implement a reward/recognition, associate appreciation process, acknowledgement and application of employee retention strategies to meet the high product demand, career pathing-leadership should develop associates that demonstrate high growth potential and desire to move up Better communication from the top down and laterally

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Rewarding Career - Home Ownership Counseling

Sep 16, 2021 - HUD Housing Counselor in Richmond, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Helping Individuals Achieve their Home Ownership Dreams Bonus Pay Paid Time Off Small Office/Ample Parking

Cons

Multiple Appointments Daily Long Hours Mandatory Meetings Work Every Other Saturday

Online Operations Coordinator

Thank you for your comments. NACA's mission of economic justice through affordable homeownership brings its own unique set of benefits and challenges. Helping improve the lives of others is a reward of any endeavor that in many ways cannot be measured, but it does require a level of commitment beyond that of someone who is in it merely to collect a paycheck. NACA does extremely little advertising and marketing for the simple reason that the sheer volume of people coming to NACA for our programs is nearly overwhelming as is. Thanks again for taking the time to share your comments and we hope you have a long and productive career as part of NACA's mission of economic justice.

5. 3.0

Potential for Greatness

Sep 17, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is an opportunity to serve my community and address issues that are important to me such as equality, justice and fairness. NACA does an excellent job at offering economic opportunity for everyone especially those that have been shut out of homeownership. It has the best mortgage and seems almost too good to be true. I am thankful for this opportunity to serve.

Cons

Seems like the members are more important than the employees. Even though the opportunity earn an exceptional income is available, at the moment it seem elusive.

Online Operations Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. NACA certainly recognizes that our staff members are the organization's greatest asset. However, the most fundamental function of any business, whether for- or non-profit, is to serve its clients. In NACA's case, that's our more than three million members. They are the reason we have a staff and engage in our mission of economic justice. It's not that the staff is less important than the members. It's simply the job of every staff member to always put the member first. If we don't do that, we can't serve the community, take on those issues to which your refer and create the opportunity for homeownership and community stabilization. The opportunity for our counselors to "do well while doing good" might seem a little more elusive for the moment, but time and dedicated effort are your most powerful tools to overcome that. We hope you have a long and productive career at NACA!

6. 4.0
      Current Employee

Good place to work

Aug 25, 2021 - Mortgage Officer in Miami, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity for training , growth and professional development

Cons

The workload could impact the Work- life balance

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good Benefits

Aug 19, 2021 - National Sales Representative in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get to assist people live out their dream. Helping!

Cons

You will have to be committed to long hours during the week.

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Workplace

Aug 18, 2021 - Mortgage Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay and room for growth

Cons

Tends to be demanding and require long hours sometimes

9. 2.0
      Current Employee

Great program, less-than desirable employer

Aug 31, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great entry way into the financial sector.

Cons

The pay is not worth the long hours and frustration. They will pitch the income potential but no one can reach it.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

NACA is Not a just a Job, It’s a LIFESTYLE with an Awesome Mission!

Aug 15, 2021 - Housing Counselor
      Business Outlook

Pros

The ability to counsel and help low to moderate income people realize their dreams of homeownership. It’s an amazing feeling when you help someone who didn’t think homeownership was even a possibility, let alone a reality. NACA provides the platform and resources to educate and help others while learning and elevating yourself in all things related to housing, mortgage, and neighborhood stability, just to name a few. NACA provides a great benefit package with excellent healthcare coverage.

Cons

Most people complain about the hours and I don’t mind the hours because the work that I do is rewarding and fulfilling but it comes with a fair amount of stress for the low wages. You have the ability to earn a higher income but it is CONTINGENT on everyone finding and closing on their homes. I don’t have a problem with the commissions but the hourly wages are not competitive enough and to have your wages reduced when becoming a licensed MC is quite disheartening. I knew this coming onboard with NACA, therefore I wasn’t blind sided. If I could have a few major changes, it would be an increase in my hourly pay and a little more flexibility and voice with my calendar management.

Online Operations Coordinator

The satisfaction that comes from helping others build a more secure future is indeed difficult to describe. Creating stable neighborhoods, building generational wealth for families and many other benefits come from the work we do. It does take an extra level of commitment from our staff members to accomplish what we do. Additionally, we have just increased the hourly pay rate for our new Mortgage Consultants as they build their pipeline. Thank you for your comments. We wish you a long, happy and prosperous career with NACA!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 237 Reviews