Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bruce Marks

Pros
  • You help people get their own home when nobody else will help (in 17 reviews)

• Helping others achieve the goal of home ownership (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and demanding customers but that is anywhere involving mortgages (in 10 reviews)

• There is no career trajectory, and managers are not chosen based on merit (in 3 reviews)

"Not Easy, But Worth It"

Current Employee - Mortgage Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Mortgage Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. This is a place where you change peoples lives. 2. The company fights for the rights of the average person. 3. You help people get their own home when nobody else will help. 4. The company also saves people's homes from being forclosed on. 5. You get to make a good income if you work hard. 6. Company is growing fast and is going to be around for a long time.

Cons

It's not an easy job, but that's only a bad thing if your afraid of hard work. Some people at the top aren't team players but I guess that happens everywhere. Things have gotten better the last couple of years but still has a ways to go.

Advice to Management

Everybody has too much on their plate and it hurts how well the company does its job sometimes. You need more people and everyone needs to be about doing everything well instead of how much they can stuff into a day.

May 9, 2017 – Online Operations Coordinator

Thank you for your comments. Improving the lives of working people is at the very heart of what NACA does. NACA will always be an advocacy organization first and foremost, and we believe that ... More

"NACA Saint Louis"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have commited to putting leadership in Office that will help it blossom. Nice comfortable office. Supportive volunteers. Dedicated Staff. Great Mortgage Terms. Work for company that has a great mission.

Cons

long hours. less pay than elsewhere in the industry. complex and confusing underwriting and closing process. Limited base pay. Very little marketing and outreach.

Advice to Management

Spend some money on marketing and outreach. Show trust in your employees. More flexibilityin schedules. Be careful to hire people who buy into the mission, an not just those who have Mortgage experience.

May 9, 2017 – Online Operations Coordinator

Thank you for your comments. Many NACA offices have recently been relocated or upgraded to accommodate the growing demand for our services and create a more modern environment, and other offices will ... More

"Best Mortgage Program Worst Management"

Former Employee - Mortgage Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Mortgage Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training and all the loans you can handle

Cons

Support can be minimal to non-existent, slow to hire, and brutal hours

Advice to Management

Let the mortgage consultants be mortgage consultants

Mar 29, 2017 – Online Operations Coordinator

The NACA program does indeed provide you with all the homebuyers you can handle. In fact, demand for the NACA program right now is the greatest in its history, and we are planning on opening several ... More

"Wore many hats"

Current Employee - MOrtgage Loan Originator in Decatur, GA
    Current Employee - MOrtgage Loan Originator in Decatur, GA

Pros

They allow you to work as much as you need to in order to get the job done. Long hours but you are able to find ways of cutting back on that and still getting the job done.

Cons

Can't work from home and you are not able to get paid 1099 with them paying your corporation but still a good job helping people.

"Growing Opportunities"

Current Employee - Mortgage Counselor in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Mortgage Counselor in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A never ending group of clients (NACA calls them members), and a real chance to make a good income. Helping people buy a home helps you get past the long days and big work load.

Cons

More people than they can handle and it can be a drain on your personal life. You have to be dedicated.

Advice to Management

Keep growing, bring on more people to help with the load, more training.

"A rewarding experience so far"

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

I've been working for NACA for about two years now and so far it has been a very gratifying experience in several different ways. For instance, my job has allowed me to help people in my community become first time homeowner's or regain homeownership with the best terms in the market. I can honestly say that I go home every day feeling happy, knowing that my work is making a difference in my cumunity.
    Also, I can't complain at all about the exeptional income potential you have at NACA. Everything you need to be successful is handed over to you, all you have to do is follow instructions, put on the hours and have the other's best interests at heart.

Cons

Not a 9 -5 job.

Advice to Management

Please allow us more direct contact with the lender.

"Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

I have worked with NACA for 6 years and have never once regretted my decision to work for this amazing organization. The work that NACA does to help people purchase homes that would never be able to do so with a traditional lender, and with the absolutely best terms and lowest interest rates in the country is the reason that I continue to do the work that I do with NACA. Knowing that I have been able to help thousands of people achieve the American Dream of owing their own home is priceless. Starting out as a Mortgage Consultant and being promoted to management has been a challenging but worthwhile journey and I have grown personally and professionally from my time with NACA.

I would encourage anyone that has a desire to help others achieve the American Dream to apply.

Cons

I do work long hours and am trying to achieve a better work/life balance however when you love what you do it doesn't feel like work. Being a non Profit organization they don't always have the most up to date computer equipment, however they are working on upgrades

Advice to Management

Listen to staff, they have some great ideas to move the company forward

Jan 30, 2017 – Online Operations Coordinator

Thank you for your comments. This is almost without exception the kind of mindset of everyone who has been at NACA long term. We are clearly about something much greater than just earning a ... More

"Where else can you sincerely help families and have a substantial income?"

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

No need to door to door sell, motivated buyers, its more than just a mortgage company, its a movement thats been around for 25 years.

Cons

Cant work from home, the negative outside opinion doesn't match up with the reality. Naca gets the job done at the end of the day

Advice to Management

Keep striving to better the systems and process, we are almost there. .

"Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Officer Director Mortgage Loan Officer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Officer Director Mortgage Loan Officer in Dallas, TX

Pros

I have been working for NACA for the past 5 yrs. I love being with a company that allows me to help others. It has been an great experience and an awesome journey

Cons

Closings takes a little bit longer than normal

"Great place to work, I liked it so much I came back a second time..."

Current Employee - Office Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Tampa, FL

Pros

Best mortgage product in America, not just a slogan but a reality. Benefits are in line with most other mortgage jobs, there is a stable base pay plus commission, no draw pay. Rapidly growing organization and a streamlined closing process. We are constantly improving our process and growing the number of people we can help. We are working to make a difference, not just a paycheck. We are changing the world one homeowner at a time. As an employee who started as a temp receptionist in 2008 when the economy collapsed and I couldn't find a job in my previous career path and experience level in Non-Profit Management, I quickly moved to the the role of Mortgage Counselor for 4 years. In those 4 years I got to travel the country helping tens of thousands of people save their home and simultaneously purchase their first homes when i wasn't on the road. I was able to help open a new office and relocate to another city. This was the beginning of my new career path. I left on great terms when I decided i wanted to pursue other career paths, always striving for personal growth. Only once I was gone did I realize I should have never left. I came back after 4 years to a larger and expanded role. The changes that took place in the 4 years I was gone, and continue changing for the better, were amazing. Not many companies rehire former employees, when I was rehired for a management position I was proud that I was recognized for my previous efforts and feel supported and recognized in my current efforts. Other pro's are a friendly and dedicated staff and management team that nurture your growth. Support lines and colleagues that provide daily assistance on a variety of topics is also a strong point. most jobs you are thrown to the wolves, sink or swim. At NACA the support structure is there and if you utilize it properly you will be successful. Opportunities for growth and relocation exist but you have to work for them. They don't hand out promotions unless you have earned them. all the Management staff have worked their way up to these roles and have served many functions over the years. One of the most cross trained Management teams I have ever encountered.

Cons

Not enough staff to handle the large volume of members that need our help, that's changing as we grow.

Advice to Management

Continue the great progress we have made so far. This job is not for everyone, but continue hiring the right kind of people who are dedicated not just to the members but to the mission. The CEO is the most involved I have ever seen and there is a direct line to him at all levels of the company. Continue that open door policy. What others perceive as negative i look at it as positive. CEO only asks us to work as hard as he is willing to, and he puts in the long hours right along with us. The hard work is not for everyone and you will always have naysayers but continue the good work and thank you for the opportunity to return and to continue to grow within the organization.

Jan 30, 2017 – Online Operations Coordinator

Thank you for your comment. Your experience of growing from an entry level position within NACA is not uncommon. NACA is indeed continually seeking and implementing ways to make our processes ... More