Neighborhood Health Plan Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Segal

Pros
Cons
  • No knowledge in IT and no confidence on making decisions at all (in 6 reviews)

• IT senior management is a group of arrogant selfish individuals run their team through sheer intimidation and by instilling fear into people's minds (in 5 reviews)

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA

I have been working at Neighborhood Health Plan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been at NHP for over 6 years. The company is changing because it has to in order to meet our mission, goals and objectives. It is an exciting time to working at NHP. My ideas are taken seriously. I have a voice and so do many other employees. I have a great manager, challenging yet rewarding job, and work-life balance. Our new Somerville location is awesome! I have referred friends to work here so they can have a wonderful career too.

Cons

It can be difficult to change for some employees--even when the change will bring positive results. Don't listen to the negative reviews. They come from a handful of discontented people. There is a strategy for financial stability, and we are just beginning the turnaround.

Advice to Management

We have faith in you. Looking forward to our upcoming All Staff Meeting where leadership will share the plan for our promising future!

"RN Casemanager"

Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Neighborhood Health Plan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits they pay very well

Cons

We are moving to Sommerville ma in January

Advice to Management

Slow down on the changes in the clinical area

"Clinical Support Coordinator"

Former Employee - Clinical Support Coordinator in Boston, MA

Pros

Location, Tpass program, friendly staff, salary is reasonable.

Cons

Unprofessional supervisors and manager.

Q: I have worked for NHP for 6 months and I enjoy what I do very much. Unfortunately, I could not stand my supervisor. She has proved herself to be incompetent, unprofessional and dishonest. I talked with my co-workers about speaking to her boss or speaking directly to her about her inappropriate behavior but was discouraged because others have complained about her and nothing has changed. My supervisor was buddy-buddy with her own boss. I felt as if I have no choice other than to put up with her because I couldnt get support from anyone else. So I left.

Advice to Management

Please build a high-performance workforce is essential to achieving success and long-term sustainability in business. Employee development programs and job enrichment strategies can go a long way towards developing highly productive employees, but recruiting and hiring practices can be even more critical. Knowing how to look for the qualities of a good and professional employee can increase your recruiting effectiveness and help you identify candidates for internal advancement.

Neighborhood Health Plan Response

Dec 22, 2016 – Neighborhood Health Plan

Thank you for your feedback. To resolve work-related concerns at NHP, we encourage our employees to speak directly with coworkers, as well as management and senior leadership. In addition, our Human ... More

5. "Customer service professional"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Neighborhood Health Plan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NHP provides amazing health coverage and benefits to choose from. There is plenty of space for growth within the company. Great work environment

Cons

At times, higher management does not take specific life altering situations to consideration. Very strict attendance policy. Sometimes, attendance is very strictly enforced no matter the outside reasoning.

Advice to Management

Be more empathetic with employed members situations. Assist with providing outside resources to improve skill sets to improve growth within the company.

"Constant Change, Unclear Vision, Politics"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

The current location in Fort Point is really convenient for the commuter rail and red line. It's just steps away from South Station. I can't think of any others right now.

Cons

The upcoming move to Assembly Row in Somerville in January will be disruptive to a majority of employees. Parking will be extremely limited at the new location. Even with fall-over parking in Station Landing, there still won't be enough for everyone.

The PTO accumulation is poor, but Partners does give you the "opportunity" to purchase more time off each week. Their "Choice-Pay" for benefits is not clearly explained to new hires, and is very confusing to grasp.

Change is a given at this company. Every few months, a new operational model gets communicated because they keep having to change gears. It's hard to get acclimated to the latest approach to running the business when it gets replaced with something else. Some people crave that kind of environment, others hate it. If you can't function in this type of environment where you don't know what's going to happen tomorrow, this isn't the place for you.

Managers of some functions don't even understand what they are responsible for, and don't understand what their staff does to support everyday business functions. When you ask them for advice on how to approach an issue, they tell you it's not their area of expertise, and that you should probably go ask someone else. Why then are you in a management position if you don't understand what you're managing?

Politics, politics, politics. No one can make a decision without having multiple people review and sign-off on getting anything done. There is a lot of stagnation on getting things done.

The company is craving to be a top-notch employer, but they have their work cut out for them.

Financial stability? Remains to be seen.

Advice to Management

Mixed messages regarding remote working. HR is pushing for it, but too many managers and directors are not in favor of it. Something has to give here.

Practice what you preach: see it, own it, solve it, and do it. You're not doing it yet.

"Regional Care Manager"

Former Employee - Regional Care Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Regional Care Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Neighborhood Health Plan (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were great - very helpful

Cons

upper management - needs to learn better management skills - very condescending to underlyings

Advice to Management

listen to your employees - even if they are contractual

"Finally in the right direction"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Neighborhood Health Plan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Finally the company seem to be heading in the right direction by distancing themselves from selfish senior leadership that has been rotting this place. This is a wonderful company and I love working here but, IT senior leadership has been a problem for many years and has been leading the team in the wrong direction for a while. I'm glad they are gone now and we all can work toward the betterment of our company and not having to deal with constant threats and bullying from leadership.

Cons

But, remember the new choice might be like jumping from the frying pan to fire..

Advice to Management

Keep up the good clean up process.

"RUN. AWAY. QUICK."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Location - though moving to Somerville
    Salary - competitive
    Insurance - low cost

Cons

Everything that isn't location, salary or insurance
    Managers who do not know how to manage groups
    Helpless self-promoters
    Out of touch Human Resources group
    Bully managers/directors/employees who think their roles are more important than they really are

Advice to Management

Clean up your leadership. Get rid of the managers and department heads everyone complains about. Stop letting people manage teams who have no idea what they are doing. This place is the absolute worst place I have ever worked, and I scooped ice cream in the heat of the summer, collected garbage, and worked in collections. Walks in the park compared to the unprofessional manager I had the "pleasure" of working under for my time there. Seriously, get with the program and start doing 360 evaluations on your managers. Find out what's really going on with your organization.

Neighborhood Health Plan Response

Jul 28, 2016 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. NHP strives to create a culture in which employees are engaged and feel good about the work that they do. Developing leaders and managers across the organization is a ... More

"Great Company with room for growth."

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Neighborhood Health Plan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They provide a very good work-life balance. They are flexible with performance metrics, provide a lot of training resources, and are very receptive to employee suggestions. They complete regular anonymous surveys on staff and use results to help drive company mission and other objectives. They have a great bundle of benefits that include quality affordable health insurance, vision insurance, and dental insurance. They also have a 401K matching program and generous tuition reimbursement policy. They are a very diverse company that requires diversity training for all staff, and they emphasize inclusion from all walks of life, from minorities to the LGBT community. They are growing and have merged with Partner's Healthcare in recent years to improve their long term standing in the communities they serve.

Cons

Transition to Partner's was very difficult for some. Too many changes in a short period of time. Management turnover is a bit of an issue. Some departments are not fully defined in the scope of the organization and where they fit in the long term strategic plan is not evident.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow, continue to listen, continue to build strategic partnerships with local CHCs. Do a better job of retaining talent and be competitive in bidding for assets. Implement stronger reporting practices that are more visible within the organization to increase transparency and long term effectiveness.

"Clinical support coordinator"

Former Employee - Clinical Support Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Neighborhood Health Plan part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The health benefits offer are ok.

Cons

Unprofessional supervisors and manager very unfair

Advice to Management

Training management and clinical support supervisors