Neiman Marcus Reviews in Dallas, TX | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Neiman Marcus President, CEO, and Director Karen W. Katz
Karen W. Katz

Pros
Cons
  • Schedule and work life balance (but that's retail (in 26 reviews)

• Corporate turnover is very high and upper management takes too long to react to needed changes (in 39 reviews)

1. "Graphic Designer"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom, great workplace, friendly people, collaborative environment, good health insurance

Cons

Vacation time not great, corporate environment follows the store schedules, which means very few holidays observed

"Sales Audit Accountant"

Former Employee - Sales Audit Accountant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Audit Accountant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount. Decent pay in corporate office. Wear jeans to work. Can work from home on rare occasion

Cons

Very high turnover. People are nice, but not a very social group. Severe micro-management. Poor benefits - PTO is basically industry minimum. High deductible insurance. Very few paid holidays since corporate office stays on store schedules. Outdated accounting software systems. Still printing unnecessarily in mass quantities. BIGGEST CON - company is not performing well (although not many retail industries are), announced a few weeks ago that selling the company is an option. I found this position through a recruiter, and when I called them to tell them the news, they said other employees in corporate were looking to jump ship as well. Thankfully I found a new position quickly. Whether they sell now or not, they are billions of dollars in debt and the outlook for Neiman is not positive. If you're looking for a long term career, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a short term career, look elsewhere still - you can find a company that has updated software systems and better PTO/benefits.

Advice to Management

Management is actually very informative and communicate well. Doesn't change the fact that the company is tanking and will inevitably fail in the long run. I hope not for their sakes

3. "Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pride in your work, felt part of a team and contributed to bottom line

Cons

Little support from upper management

"Great retail name in trouble. Lots of worry about job security."

Current Employee - Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the people.

Cons

Ever since the first private buy-out, we've been drowning in debt. Only people who benefiting (beside Smith family) were very top execs who got to sell all their options for over $100 a share. Then, TPG and WP did a dividend recap that allowed very small number of top execs to sell some of the tiny amount of stock private equity firms left for company. When recession hit, everything was tightened. No raises, lower bonus potential, but no one was going to hit plan anyway. Company "hyped" buy-out by present owners as real win for company. Not true. Just more debt. More layoffs, except in certain areas. Tech Lab was created that ended up providing nada to company except "magic mirrors" that only create magic sales. Asia was going to big big opportunity. Company didn't dive in which was good since it limited risk. But strategy non-existent, Chinese partner weak. That was bust and over in 18 mos. CUSP another bust. Bought small German retailer for reasons unknown. What was reasoning? We weren't going to expand into Europe with NM stores, so what is My Theresa doing for us? Business is very tough, people worried about job losses if another retailer buys us, so morale poor. A lot of folks spending more time looking for new job during the day than getting their work done. We've got so much debt, no way to ever go public. Don't think we can make debt payments that are coming due. No private equity buyers out there b/c too much debt combined with weak results. Can't go public for same reason. And who might buy us? Hudson Bay? This was small Canadian retailer (The Bay, sort of,like Macy's). They bought Lord and Taylor, and then Saks. Recently announced major acquisition in Europe. Sounds like they have a vision, a strategy, a plan, and have money available to execute it. They are supposedly considering buying us, but we don't have own valuable real estate (like Saks NYC store) that HBC can sell/leaseback. Plus overlapping markets with Saks.

I have been here for long time and used to think the world of NM. We were the best!!!. But ever since the first buy-out, things have gone down hill. 2005 investors over-paid for company, b/c they thought they could add 20 full line stores, show solid, consistent gains in top line growth and EBITDA, and then flip is in IPO. Great Recession occurred, owners realized that NM was never going to be 50+ stores, not enough markets. They paid themselves a $500 million dividend (adding more debt to NM) which just hurt us more. Hoped new owners had a plan, but they didn't. Katz and team knew how to execute (or thought they did) but we didn't have a vision. NYC store: spending a lot, will be our biggest store, but won't earn enough money to pay down debt. After failures of CUSP, China and My Theresa (maybe not a failure but a waste of money), doesn't seem like Karen knows what to do (Tansky was still here for Cusp). She just cuts positions, hours, salaries, benefits, but she and her top circle still make a lot of money. See it every year when the proxy comes out. They make millions while Company is rapidly becoming sinking ship. She may get big payout with her CONTRACT if we're sold, but most of us will get little or nothing and will have to find new jobs.

Advice to Management

Don't have any. Advice to Board: it's probably way too late, but,you should have done our homework, seen business since 2008/2009, failed store expansion, failed new ventures and made a change at the top after you came on board. Found a CEO who had vision for company and could pull it off.

6. "Great people, lacks innovation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Summer Hours, Great co-workers,

Cons

Lack of recognition and outdated processes / procedures

7. "Great company, they take pride in thier work."

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Product and great vendors. It is a unique experience that is great for Business development

Cons

Pay is lower than the industry average but the job quality is great

"New Systems - Role of an AB"

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount, Sample Sales, Co-Workers in Corporate Office

Cons

Let me tell you about this place. It started off so well, then they implemented a new inventory system to mess everything up. Literally nothing worked properly, but yet we were still expected to do things correctly. Everything came down onto the assistant buyers and the coordinators. Our individual teams helped one another, but when push came to shove, it was all up to the AB's. THEN they had the audacity to tell us to come in on Saturday's, like what? You want me, to come into this place on my weekend AND you want to extend my day an hour, I cannot deal. Things are not getting better, but we are getting used to working in the systems. Still would like a raise though.

Advice to Management

Care about us AB's, like ACTUALLY care. Because if all 100+ of us decided to be "sick" for a week, this place would crumble.

9. "Assistant Buyer"

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of young people in the corporate offices.

Cons

Corporate turnover is very high and upper management takes too long to react to needed changes.

Advice to Management

Too many "levels" between upper and lower levels in the corporate office.

10. "Not a good company to work for!!"

Former Contractor - Accounts Payable in Dallas, TX
    Former Contractor - Accounts Payable in Dallas, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no Pros,well it is a job.

Cons

You have to pay to park everyday!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better, you could at least provide free parking for them and cups, napkins and utensils in the break rooms.

11. "Everyday is a new day!"

Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

Pros

Best assortments in the industry, talented associates, always pushing forward. Strong talent in merchant division. 110 year legacy upon which to build.

Cons

New systems are a big challenge. Inconsistent reporting, data, analysis, etc. Not enough bandwidth to effectively run reports, then the data is wrong.