Neiman Marcus Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Neiman Marcus President, CEO, and Director Karen W. Katz
Karen W. Katz

Pros
Cons
  • Schedule and work life balance (but that's retail (in 25 reviews)

• Corporate turnover is very high and upper management takes too long to react to needed changes (in 38 reviews)

1. "Great company, they take pride in thier work."

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Product and great vendors. It is a unique experience that is great for Business development

Cons

Pay is lower than the industry average but the job quality is great

2. "Working for Neiman's"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Neiman's has a very diverse and great group of professionals who run the day to day operations. Great leadership and a fun work environment. This is a great place to get started on your career and to learn the ins and outs of trade,.

Cons

Retail is retail and there are a number of cons that come with it.

3. "sales"

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time

Pros

good company to work for

Cons

will have to work holidays and weekends

5. "Everywhere has its good and bad"

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Austin, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for. Micro-management doesn't exist. Professional working environment.

Cons

They are strict on their hours. If you exceed your minimum working hours, it may be very problematic.

"Great retail name in trouble. Lots of worry about job security."

Current Employee - Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the people.

Cons

Ever since the first private buy-out, we've been drowning in debt. Only people who benefiting (beside Smith family) were very top execs who got to sell all their options for over $100 a share. Then, TPG and WP did a dividend recap that allowed very small number of top execs to sell some of the tiny amount of stock private equity firms left for company. When recession hit, everything was tightened. No raises, lower bonus potential, but no one was going to hit plan anyway. Company "hyped" buy-out by present owners as real win for company. Not true. Just more debt. More layoffs, except in certain areas. Tech Lab was created that ended up providing nada to company except "magic mirrors" that only create magic sales. Asia was going to big big opportunity. Company didn't dive in which was good since it limited risk. But strategy non-existent, Chinese partner weak. That was bust and over in 18 mos. CUSP another bust. Bought small German retailer for reasons unknown. What was reasoning? We weren't going to expand into Europe with NM stores, so what is My Theresa doing for us? Business is very tough, people worried about job losses if another retailer buys us, so morale poor. A lot of folks spending more time looking for new job during the day than getting their work done. We've got so much debt, no way to ever go public. Don't think we can make debt payments that are coming due. No private equity buyers out there b/c too much debt combined with weak results. Can't go public for same reason. And who might buy us? Hudson Bay? This was small Canadian retailer (The Bay, sort of,like Macy's). They bought Lord and Taylor, and then Saks. Recently announced major acquisition in Europe. Sounds like they have a vision, a strategy, a plan, and have money available to execute it. They are supposedly considering buying us, but we don't have own valuable real estate (like Saks NYC store) that HBC can sell/leaseback. Plus overlapping markets with Saks.

I have been here for long time and used to think the world of NM. We were the best!!!. But ever since the first buy-out, things have gone down hill. 2005 investors over-paid for company, b/c they thought they could add 20 full line stores, show solid, consistent gains in top line growth and EBITDA, and then flip is in IPO. Great Recession occurred, owners realized that NM was never going to be 50+ stores, not enough markets. They paid themselves a $500 million dividend (adding more debt to NM) which just hurt us more. Hoped new owners had a plan, but they didn't. Katz and team knew how to execute (or thought they did) but we didn't have a vision. NYC store: spending a lot, will be our biggest store, but won't earn enough money to pay down debt. After failures of CUSP, China and My Theresa (maybe not a failure but a waste of money), doesn't seem like Karen knows what to do (Tansky was still here for Cusp). She just cuts positions, hours, salaries, benefits, but she and her top circle still make a lot of money. See it every year when the proxy comes out. They make millions while Company is rapidly becoming sinking ship. She may get big payout with her CONTRACT if we're sold, but most of us will get little or nothing and will have to find new jobs.

Advice to Management

Don't have any. Advice to Board: it's probably way too late, but,you should have done our homework, seen business since 2008/2009, failed store expansion, failed new ventures and made a change at the top after you came on board. Found a CEO who had vision for company and could pull it off.

"Personal Shopper"

Pros

Fantastic company to work and shop

Cons

There are no cons for this company

8. "my first time as a receiving associate"

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time

Pros

Always something new to learn.

Cons

not enough hours at times.

9. "Senior Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Irving, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays well and is pretty stable

Cons

Terrible health insurance and other benefits

10. "Great potential if self driven"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Education and training is excellent
    Interesting clients
    Beautiful setting
    If you are talented you are recognized and treated well, offered advancement opportunities
    Tuition reimbursement and other benefits

Cons

Lack of income in slow months, especially when customer returns are deducted from paycheck without sales to replace (January and February)
    Strict dress code
    Competitive nature can bring out the worst in coworkers

11. "sales associate"

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time

Pros

good opportunities to advance in the company

Cons

not enough support inventory wise to promote sales