Neiman Marcus Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Neiman Marcus President, CEO, and Director Karen W. Katz
Karen W. Katz

Pros
Cons
  • Schedule and work life balance (but that's retail (in 26 reviews)

• Corporate turnover is very high and upper management takes too long to react to needed changes (in 39 reviews)

1. "Graphic Designer"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom, great workplace, friendly people, collaborative environment, good health insurance

Cons

Vacation time not great, corporate environment follows the store schedules, which means very few holidays observed

"Business Manager"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great discount, nice coworkers, nice hours.

Cons

Horrible work environment, no great job opportunities to advance career, company isn't about their employees, bad management.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified people.

"Great retail name in trouble. Lots of worry about job security."

Current Employee - Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the people.

Cons

Ever since the first private buy-out, we've been drowning in debt. Only people who benefiting (beside Smith family) were very top execs who got to sell all their options for over $100 a share. Then, TPG and WP did a dividend recap that allowed very small number of top execs to sell some of the tiny amount of stock private equity firms left for company. When recession hit, everything was tightened. No raises, lower bonus potential, but no one was going to hit plan anyway. Company "hyped" buy-out by present owners as real win for company. Not true. Just more debt. More layoffs, except in certain areas. Tech Lab was created that ended up providing nada to company except "magic mirrors" that only create magic sales. Asia was going to big big opportunity. Company didn't dive in which was good since it limited risk. But strategy non-existent, Chinese partner weak. That was bust and over in 18 mos. CUSP another bust. Bought small German retailer for reasons unknown. What was reasoning? We weren't going to expand into Europe with NM stores, so what is My Theresa doing for us? Business is very tough, people worried about job losses if another retailer buys us, so morale poor. A lot of folks spending more time looking for new job during the day than getting their work done. We've got so much debt, no way to ever go public. Don't think we can make debt payments that are coming due. No private equity buyers out there b/c too much debt combined with weak results. Can't go public for same reason. And who might buy us? Hudson Bay? This was small Canadian retailer (The Bay, sort of,like Macy's). They bought Lord and Taylor, and then Saks. Recently announced major acquisition in Europe. Sounds like they have a vision, a strategy, a plan, and have money available to execute it. They are supposedly considering buying us, but we don't have own valuable real estate (like Saks NYC store) that HBC can sell/leaseback. Plus overlapping markets with Saks.

I have been here for long time and used to think the world of NM. We were the best!!!. But ever since the first buy-out, things have gone down hill. 2005 investors over-paid for company, b/c they thought they could add 20 full line stores, show solid, consistent gains in top line growth and EBITDA, and then flip is in IPO. Great Recession occurred, owners realized that NM was never going to be 50+ stores, not enough markets. They paid themselves a $500 million dividend (adding more debt to NM) which just hurt us more. Hoped new owners had a plan, but they didn't. Katz and team knew how to execute (or thought they did) but we didn't have a vision. NYC store: spending a lot, will be our biggest store, but won't earn enough money to pay down debt. After failures of CUSP, China and My Theresa (maybe not a failure but a waste of money), doesn't seem like Karen knows what to do (Tansky was still here for Cusp). She just cuts positions, hours, salaries, benefits, but she and her top circle still make a lot of money. See it every year when the proxy comes out. They make millions while Company is rapidly becoming sinking ship. She may get big payout with her CONTRACT if we're sold, but most of us will get little or nothing and will have to find new jobs.

Advice to Management

Don't have any. Advice to Board: it's probably way too late, but,you should have done our homework, seen business since 2008/2009, failed store expansion, failed new ventures and made a change at the top after you came on board. Found a CEO who had vision for company and could pull it off.

"Multi channel associate"

Current Employee - Multi Channel Associate in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Multi Channel Associate in Irving, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great. Management is nice. Work from home opportunities 401 k match up to 5%

Cons

Assist not so good to work with. Changes always with goals like any company. Human Resources and Neiman Marcus direct is the absolute worst rude always changing new ones now known nothing at all!! They're a little dumb to be honest and you can tell just by speaking with them

Advice to Management

Have people know there job more before assigning them to a task. I love my company by something needs to change with our HR

5. "Alright job"

Current Employee - Sales Support in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Support in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Neiman Marcus (More than a year)

Pros

Discount, Friendly, Easy, Benefits, Lots to do, Enviroment

Cons

No advancement.
    Poor treatment
    Management
    Boring
    Demands to work
    No raises

Advice to Management

Take the time to advance people in departments

6. "Great company, they take pride in thier work."

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Product and great vendors. It is a unique experience that is great for Business development

Cons

Pay is lower than the industry average but the job quality is great

7. "Great people, lacks innovation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Summer Hours, Great co-workers,

Cons

Lack of recognition and outdated processes / procedures

8. "Everywhere has its good and bad"

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Austin, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for. Micro-management doesn't exist. Professional working environment.

Cons

They are strict on their hours. If you exceed your minimum working hours, it may be very problematic.

9. "Senior Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Irving, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays well and is pretty stable

Cons

Terrible health insurance and other benefits

10. "Assistant Buyer"

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of young people in the corporate offices.

Cons

Corporate turnover is very high and upper management takes too long to react to needed changes.

Advice to Management

Too many "levels" between upper and lower levels in the corporate office.