Neiman Marcus Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Neiman Marcus President, CEO, and Director Karen W. Katz
Karen W. Katz

Pros
Cons
  • Schedule and work life balance (but that's retail (in 25 reviews)

• Corporate turnover is very high and upper management takes too long to react to needed changes (in 38 reviews)

"Great retail name in trouble. Lots of worry about job security."

Current Employee - Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the people.

Cons

Ever since the first private buy-out, we've been drowning in debt. Only people who benefiting (beside Smith family) were very top execs who got to sell all their options for over $100 a share. Then, TPG and WP did a dividend recap that allowed very small number of top execs to sell some of the tiny amount of stock private equity firms left for company. When recession hit, everything was tightened. No raises, lower bonus potential, but no one was going to hit plan anyway. Company "hyped" buy-out by present owners as real win for company. Not true. Just more debt. More layoffs, except in certain areas. Tech Lab was created that ended up providing nada to company except "magic mirrors" that only create magic sales. Asia was going to big big opportunity. Company didn't dive in which was good since it limited risk. But strategy non-existent, Chinese partner weak. That was bust and over in 18 mos. CUSP another bust. Bought small German retailer for reasons unknown. What was reasoning? We weren't going to expand into Europe with NM stores, so what is My Theresa doing for us? Business is very tough, people worried about job losses if another retailer buys us, so morale poor. A lot of folks spending more time looking for new job during the day than getting their work done. We've got so much debt, no way to ever go public. Don't think we can make debt payments that are coming due. No private equity buyers out there b/c too much debt combined with weak results. Can't go public for same reason. And who might buy us? Hudson Bay? This was small Canadian retailer (The Bay, sort of,like Macy's). They bought Lord and Taylor, and then Saks. Recently announced major acquisition in Europe. Sounds like they have a vision, a strategy, a plan, and have money available to execute it. They are supposedly considering buying us, but we don't have own valuable real estate (like Saks NYC store) that HBC can sell/leaseback. Plus overlapping markets with Saks.

I have been here for long time and used to think the world of NM. We were the best!!!. But ever since the first buy-out, things have gone down hill. 2005 investors over-paid for company, b/c they thought they could add 20 full line stores, show solid, consistent gains in top line growth and EBITDA, and then flip is in IPO. Great Recession occurred, owners realized that NM was never going to be 50+ stores, not enough markets. They paid themselves a $500 million dividend (adding more debt to NM) which just hurt us more. Hoped new owners had a plan, but they didn't. Katz and team knew how to execute (or thought they did) but we didn't have a vision. NYC store: spending a lot, will be our biggest store, but won't earn enough money to pay down debt. After failures of CUSP, China and My Theresa (maybe not a failure but a waste of money), doesn't seem like Karen knows what to do (Tansky was still here for Cusp). She just cuts positions, hours, salaries, benefits, but she and her top circle still make a lot of money. See it every year when the proxy comes out. They make millions while Company is rapidly becoming sinking ship. She may get big payout with her CONTRACT if we're sold, but most of us will get little or nothing and will have to find new jobs.

Advice to Management

Don't have any. Advice to Board: it's probably way too late, but,you should have done our homework, seen business since 2008/2009, failed store expansion, failed new ventures and made a change at the top after you came on board. Found a CEO who had vision for company and could pull it off.

2. "Assistant Buyer"

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time

Pros

The people are the best asset.

Cons

Unstable retail environment at times.

3. "Sales Associate, Product Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great merchandise, nice physical surroundings

Cons

Management in-store is not keyed into front line sales people. They listened to department managers who may not always be the people with integrity.

Advice to Management

In-store management could gain insight into store's performance by considering feedback from front line associates

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Changed return policy to 60 days vs. unlimited. This should be better for Associates not to get commission reversal long after sale.
    Good employee discount -doubled several times a year.
    Health Benefits are decent.

Cons

Micro-management of client contact. Lots of busy work that does not produce sales.
    Commission only but expected to work like hourly
    Forcing focus off your own client list & how you have successfully run your business.
    Online NM drops gift cards, discounts everyday and 1-2 days before store promotion they have it online.

Advice to Management

Respect your sales people & allow them to run their business.
    Treat your employees well & your customers will be taken care of at a higher standard.
    Limit or eliminate competition with our online site.
    Set challenging but attainable sales goals. Unrealistic goals are discouraging not empowering.

6. "Order Filler"

Current Employee - Order Filler in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Order Filler in Irving, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro is you get plenty of exercise while walking the warehouse to pick orders. There are no other Pros..

Cons

Never get 40 hrs a week. The night shift always gets stiffed on hrs. The day, and weekend shifts always get 40 and over but, not the night shift.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism.. It's wrong to ask just a few people if they would like to transfer to a different department to get more hours and then leave the rest still struggling.. You should be making room for ALL your employees not just your favorites...

7. "OST"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting good people and work schedule

Cons

No opportunity of advancement, managers and HR staff are rude, don't hold lazy employees accountable or get rid of them

"Tacky"

Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus (Less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed helping the customers and meeting new people.

Cons

Training was not as good as it should have been. And they end your employment through email. They have no dignity to come face to face with their employees to let them know in person that their employment is terminated.

Advice to Management

Bring people to the office and let them know why at least to why you terminate their employment.

"Department Manager"

Former Employee - Handbag and Accessories Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Handbag and Accessories Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Neiman Marcus (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice discount. Beautiful store.

Cons

Top management team very unprofessional. Overall uncomfortable atmosphere and a negative undertone in the store.

Advice to Management

Lead your team by displaying a positive team building atmosphere.

10. "WFH agent"

Pros

Decent starting pay... and able to WFH

Cons

Run... the starting pay is decent but the raises are little. Policy changes everyday and management is poor

Advice to Management

Start over from you missed the mark

11. "Not enough duties"

Former Employee - Stocking Associate in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Stocking Associate in Irving, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus (Less than a year)

Pros

You can receive an incentive based of your performance.

Cons

Mostly confined to doing the same task each day, poor supervision from team leads.
    Workflow varies, sometimes not guaranteed full time hours.