Neiman Marcus Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Schedule and work life balance (but that's retail (in 26 reviews)

• Corporate turnover is very high and upper management takes too long to react to needed changes (in 39 reviews)

"Salesperson"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you love fashion and helping customers then you'll enjoy

Cons

Salary depends on customers shopping

Advice to Management

Management needs to understand that you cant bug the customer with phone calls, emails and text. The company is struggling and that needs to be taken into account when discussing goals. It's a different shopping environment now, more people are shopping online. That's tough for the salesperson's paycheck.

"Retailer in dire need of help"

Former Employee - Clerical in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Clerical in Boston, MA

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working around luxury fashion. Informative product trainings. The customers are mostly pleasant. The FEW managers and coworkers who actually did their jobs and were great to work with. Decent schedule, benefits and discount. Not working crazy retail hours. Networking opportunities and meeting people from around the world in the fashion industry.

Cons

It is an unhealthy work environment. There is an abundance of nonsense happening on a daily basis. You will get thrown under the bus without hesitation. There is racism and racial profiling happening in the workplace. Absolutely NO room for growth and small raises. Little support and training from management. A college degree is required for leadership roles, which is ridiculous considering half of the managers are incredibly unproductive. Most of the time you're doing their jobs. There is an overall lack of responsibility and reluctance to change. Unnecessary chatter and not enough people getting things done.

Advice to Management

It's no secret the company isn't doing well, so acting like this isn't happening is pointless. You need to listen more and speak less. The way some of you behave is completely unacceptable. You are not the clients, get real and stop living vicariously through them. You retain individuals who are not positively helping the store. It is absolutely embarrassing and needs to be addressed. Hardworking, productive people who genuinely care about their jobs do exist. You NEED them, but they will not last in this environment and you certainly do not deserve them.

"Get the experience and then get out"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Build clientele
    Great discount and employee sales

Cons

Horrible management
    Declining sales
    Unattainable expectations
    Commission sale based for some employees

4. "Designated specialist"

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time

Pros

Great Training, Good Pay, Wonderful co workers

Cons

Managers spread too thin,

Advice to Management

na

"Business Manager"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great discount, nice coworkers, nice hours.

Cons

Horrible work environment, no great job opportunities to advance career, company isn't about their employees, bad management.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified people.

"Struggling Company"

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time

Pros

Great benefits, amazing discount!
    Carries most luxury brands
    pick a department that you know will do well like the handbag dept and women shoes.

Cons

Cons
    the company overall is not concerned with their employees as should be necessary with a huge multi million dollar retail company like this. they are quick to lay off an entire team of people and add more responsibility to the ones already there and then a year later add the same jobs again so they can have the benefits of new people and not have to increase pay for the old employees. There only seems to be room for growth for those whom are miserable and not customer service oriented. Dollars count more to them than customer service and customer experience instead of both being achieved. The company is struggling financial (which is public record). They shuffle inventory from store to store and you have to ask store to transfer merchandise because there is not enough inventory of anything in the company which can cause a problem when everyone is trying to sell the same item and there are only a handful and everyone wants the sale.

Advice to Management

store managers need STOP! glorifying corporate buyers like they are god and start telling them what you need to make your store and employees more successful

"great management"

Current Employee - Brand Marketing/Selling Specialist
    Current Employee - Brand Marketing/Selling Specialist

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I like Neiman Marcus because there is a great management team. I was impressed but the number of employees who has been there 10 or 20 years + and are still happy with the company.

Cons

Although there great things about the company, a commission increase has been wanted from many employees with no success. there is room for improvement in that area.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job. However, the isales contacting of the clients every week is not well organized. Sometimes I feel like we are harassing customers. Less emails should be sent out.

8. "Great company (depending on your location)."

Former Employee - Product Specialist for Cosmetics in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Specialist for Cosmetics in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family environment. Even when we had our differences we still worked together. A great team at my particular location. Management really cares about employees. The employee discount is beyond amazing.

Cons

I personally had no cons. Many other employees did find the seasonal reviews stressful. I've also heard from many that other locations weren't as enjoyable as mine.

Advice to Management

Take advice from the stores that are doing well. If a location has a happy team discover why they're happy and pass that on to other locations.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount, Neiman Marcus Rewards, and free products from the vendors.

Cons

Management only cares about the top sales associates. They then run the management and control the stock, then you have to share your commission with them as well. Literally have seen sales associates argue on the sales floor in front of customers over a sale. The management has you call and text customers to come in and keep buying, the customers get annoyed.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. Treat all employees the same. Don't treat one better because they have been their longer or have a better following.

"Review"

Former Employee - Shoot Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Shoot Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee Discount was about the only Pro. Honestly aside from having a job that paid you very little, There isn't very much nice to say so I won't say much at all.

Cons

If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything. There are a lot of things I could say but I'm not there anymore so what good is it gonna do.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone with respect, because even the lowest ranking person there has feelings too. They have families and deserve to be treated like any other person.