Nektar Therapeutics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Nektar Therapeutics President, CEO, and Director Howard W. Robin
Howard W. Robin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Paid time off exceeds what I have had with other employers, and employees are encouraged to use it for a work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• A great company to work for for those who enjoy being challenged in their careers (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Grossly incompetent and egotistical senior management (in 4 reviews)

• The company provides flex time and work from home options for employees which offsets the hard work and commitment required to succeed (in 3 reviews)

1. "Excellent company with great future potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company has great momentum in its pipeline with some very promising products. Good record of internal promotions.

Cons

Very busy. May need to staff up.

2. "Researcher"

Pros

Coworkers are mostly the best thing about this company. This is really the best thing that can be said about this company

Cons

Senior Management is running this small Biotech as if it were a Pharma company. All of the processes and procedure are completely unnecessary.

Advice to Management

Retire

3. "Accountant II"

Former Employee - Accountant II in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant II in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nektar Therapeutics (More than a year)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits and management

Cons

To far from home and i cannot spent quality time with my family

4. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nektar is a great company if you like challenge, if you seek the opportunity to make an impact, if you want the opportunity to work with creative and passionate people.

Cons

Commuting to the city can have its challenges but Nektar has great commuting benefits for their employees that helps ease the burden.

"Summer Internship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iselin, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iselin, NJ

I worked at Nektar Therapeutics (Less than a year)

Pros

- great work atmosphere, helpful and friendly colleagues
    - as an intern, it was a great way to network and meet people within the pharmaceutical industry

Cons

- did not experience any cons

"So glad I joined Nektar!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined Nektar a year ago and this has been one of the best jobs I have had! I love my boss, the open door policy, flexible schedule/work from home day, work/life balance, and standard 1 on 1 meetings. It is a dynamic company where the employees are passionate about the innovations and products being developed. The CEO holds excellent "All Hands" meetings periodically and answers any and all questions. The talks are very inspiring and give great insight into our programs and performance. The openness, transparency and excitement about what Nektar is achieving is refreshing to see!

Cons

Because we have company wide and departmental objectives that need to be met, you need to come in prepared to work and contribute.

Advice to Management

From my perspective, I don't have any advice. I think they are very mindful, engaged and willing to listen.

7. "Great place - with its problems"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nektar Therapeutics full-time

Pros

Great talented people; technology has wide applicability

Cons

Environment can be politically charged-

Advice to Management

Have a longer term plan and strategy for the organization

"Well-Run Company with Great Career Potential"

Current Employee - Executive Director, Research in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Director, Research in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company rewards high performers and provides great career growth opportunities. There are ample drug candidates to work on from an R&D perspective, and the company has credibility with large pharma partners. If you want to come to a company that knows how to get a drug across the finish line and has a higher probability of its candidates succeeding than the average biotech company, you should consider Nektar. CEO is very accessible and considers great ideas equally.

Cons

Hard work is required and complaints should be valid. The company provides flex time and work from home options for employees which offsets the hard work and commitment required to succeed.

Advice to Management

keep rewarding high achievers

"Miserable"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

Pros

Great pay, excellent benefits, plenty of time off which you will need!

Cons

Alright, here is the truth about Nektar being non bias. Most of the "positive" reviews are written by management if you pay attention and are geared to not scare anyone. Nektar is extremely too heavy in management. There are directors, executive directors, associate directors, supervisors and managers every where. It creates a difficult and stressful atmosphere. It is extremely political from floor to ceiling. Most of the management are gossipy and several are in the one and only job and have no clue how to perform as managers. Chemist run the plant from facilities to new building development so, yes, it is screwed up. Huntsville's HR is not the normal employees help, they will get rid of you if you say anything about the management, which by the way, they all know each other very well. The management sets everyone against each other in some of the departments. I have watched supervisors wife's get hired because the hiring manager was best friends and hung out at work. Ethics doesn't exist. They overpay for one reason there aren't hardly any pharma company's around and no one would stay long for the bs. If management wasn't allowed to review on here you would have few good reviews. Work is not difficult beyond being able to complete and they are transparent about the companies direction. It is almost like working for congress. I will be departing soon due to the stress of not the work, but the people. Affairs are at an all time high here to, but if you are friends with management they will turn a blind eye.

Advice to Management

Less is better when running a company. Warren Buffet runs a larger cooperation with less. It is smoother. More Indians than Chiefs works better, and politics is a lose.

"Good pay but management is a disaster"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics full-time

Pros

Good Pay and benefits and thats about it

Cons

High Stress environment. Top heavy management, really top heavy. SF office has ego issues. India and the Huntsville offices are the red headed step child. Human Resources is only there to protect Nektar from law suits and not there for the employees. It’s time for new management, Howard has lost the trust of the employees. If you are going to work there, make sure it’s the SF office.

Advice to Management

Clean house