Nektar Therapeutics Reviews | Glassdoor

Nektar Therapeutics Reviews

Updated December 6, 2016

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Paid time off exceeds what I have had with other employers, and employees are encouraged to use it for a work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• great benefits and good compensation; some great colleagues (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The company provides flex time and work from home options for employees which offsets the hard work and commitment required to succeed (in 3 reviews)

• India and the Huntsville offices are the red headed step child (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great company; caring management"

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many perks to working at Nektar. Working for this company is the first experience I have had with being treated like an adult in a workplace. Sure, that means that you have to fulfill your responsibilities, but you don’t have someone micro-managing your days. Management also listens to your concerns and works with you to arrive at solutions to issues. In my department, we are encouraged to create and achieve personal development goals. The environment is one of learning, even though you have other responsibilities. We are encouraged to learn new techniques or work on method development/validation, which helps build our skill sets, and keeps things fresh.

Aside from good management, Nektar offers many benefits. There is a full benefits package for health/dental/vision insurance, EAP, 401k, etc. Every year, a benefits fair is held where you can meet the representatives from the various insurance providers in person and ask questions. Compensation is more than fair, and annual bonuses are awarded based on performance. A stock purchase plan is also offered. Paid time off exceeds what I have had with other employers, and employees are encouraged to use it for a work/life balance. On top of all that, other little perks are available, including free breakfast on pay days, Keurig coffee available in the break rooms, yoga sessions, and fresh fruit delivery every once in a while.

Cons

The laboratories at Nektar can be fast-paced. Deadlines can often be tight and can shift, so flexibility is required in your work. Due to shifting priorities, work days are sometimes stressful.

"Nektar Therapeutics is Unique and Terrific Opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unlike many biotechnology companies, Nektar has a broad and diverse product pipeline and is not dependent on any single drug to continue its business. Nektar is able to apply its polymer technology to drug targets across many therapeutic areas.

Cons

Because Nektar is not focused on a single drug or therapeutic area, if you work here as a scientist, doctor or clinical developer, you need to be very flexible and dynamic--not wed to any particular field. For some, this is a big drawback if your expertise or commitment is to a particular field.

Advice to Management

Continue to build the company beyond being a drug developer and into the commercial realm. This is a very difficult and capital intensive chasm to cross and they need to stay very focused and committed.

"Benefits are top notch"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics full-time

Pros

great benefits, flexible work environment, great people to work with, interesting work, great compensation package; good communication between sites

Cons

busy workload, tight deadlines, staffing level is just right, no extra to assist in tight times, need more development for employees.

Advice to Management

Develop employees more within the tight schedule, reward groups that have lower turnover

"Terrific Company"

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics full-time

Pros

Great leadership, great people, great science, high energy.

Cons

San Francisco headquarters is in a high traffic area, however, company provides flexible work schedule and commute benefits to offset this.

6. "Great people and stable growing company"

Former Employee - Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nektar Therapeutics full-time

Pros

I worked at Nektar for quite some time (4 years in San Francisco offices) and have to say that it was one of my best work experiences. The people there are all highly motivated and really care about making a difference. The offices are really beautiful too. I felt like I could contribute a lot when I went to work every day and that even senior managers would listen to my ideas.

Cons

Mission Bay is a growing area and so traffic got a little busy; however, the muni line goes right the outside of the building and the company provides commuter passes -- a great perk.

Advice to Management

Grow in San Francisco! nice to see an investment in the expansion of that building.

7. "Clinical"

I worked at Nektar Therapeutics (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great potential in staff only if realized by management

Cons

Aggressive Management. Does not respect employees

Advice to Management

Respect your employees

"Walmart has a lower turnover rate"

Former Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nektar Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some very talented, smart people here. You will find them huddled in the corners, fearing for their jobs on the regular.

Cons

Organizational structure makes absolutely no sense. Remote based, inexperienced management with a serious chip on their shoulder. Fear-based culture. Arrogance.

Advice to Management

Quit being so petty with your employees and micromanaging them. Design your trials better, hire experienced people.

"new clinical operations management washing the department down the drain."

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nektar Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

i no longer work at the company.

Cons

all the good colleagues have left the company. my direct manager has drunk the kool aid and turned into an unrealistic and unreasonable monster. management gave me the cold shoulder and evil stares when i put in my notice, then pushed me out.

Advice to Management

value your employees or you will be stuck with no one left to do your dirty work

"okay company"

Pros

great benefits and good compensation; some great colleagues.

Cons

Management do not know what they are doing. Morale is very low since the change of management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and do your job, or let someone else do the job

"Horrible Biometrics Department"

I worked at Nektar Therapeutics full-time

Pros

Free Bagels on Pay Day
    Great Colleagues

Cons

This review is only for Biometrics/Biostat group. The group is very demanding, rude and controlling. Many people left the companies because of that. Work culture is not good. This group is super gossipy and highly political. Please do not commit career suicide by coming here. There are many other good companies out there.

Advice to Management

Focus on good people