Nektar Therapeutics Reviews | Glassdoor

Nektar Therapeutics Reviews

Updated August 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Paid time off exceeds what I have had with other employers, and employees are encouraged to use it for a work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• great benefits and good compensation; some great colleagues (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Grossly incompetent and egotistical senior management (in 4 reviews)

• The company provides flex time and work from home options for employees which offsets the hard work and commitment required to succeed (in 3 reviews)

"Good pay but management is a disaster"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics full-time

Pros

Good Pay and benefits and thats about it

Cons

High Stress environment. Top heavy management, really top heavy. SF office has ego issues. India and the Huntsville offices are the red headed step child. Human Resources is only there to protect Nektar from law suits and not there for the employees. It’s time for new management, Howard has lost the trust of the employees. If you are going to work there, make sure it’s the SF office.

Advice to Management

Clean house

2. "Associate Director, Regulatory Affairs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is always work to do. Company is continually striving to develop novel therapies especially in the oncology space.

Cons

Treats everything as #1 priority! The workload can be a bit much at times. Work life balance doesn't always exist.

3. "Great people doing great work"

Pros

everyone is helpful and knowledgeable

Cons

too many people remain as contractors

4. "Great company; caring management"

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many perks to working at Nektar. Working for this company is the first experience I have had with being treated like an adult in a workplace. Sure, that means that you have to fulfill your responsibilities, but you don’t have someone micro-managing your days. Management also listens to your concerns and works with you to arrive at solutions to issues. In my department, we are encouraged to create and achieve personal development goals. The environment is one of learning, even though you have other responsibilities. We are encouraged to learn new techniques or work on method development/validation, which helps build our skill sets, and keeps things fresh.

Aside from good management, Nektar offers many benefits. There is a full benefits package for health/dental/vision insurance, EAP, 401k, etc. Every year, a benefits fair is held where you can meet the representatives from the various insurance providers in person and ask questions. Compensation is more than fair, and annual bonuses are awarded based on performance. A stock purchase plan is also offered. Paid time off exceeds what I have had with other employers, and employees are encouraged to use it for a work/life balance. On top of all that, other little perks are available, including free breakfast on pay days, Keurig coffee available in the break rooms, yoga sessions, and fresh fruit delivery every once in a while.

Cons

The laboratories at Nektar can be fast-paced. Deadlines can often be tight and can shift, so flexibility is required in your work. Due to shifting priorities, work days are sometimes stressful.

"Nektar Therapeutics is Unique and Terrific Opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unlike many biotechnology companies, Nektar has a broad and diverse product pipeline and is not dependent on any single drug to continue its business. Nektar is able to apply its polymer technology to drug targets across many therapeutic areas.

Cons

Because Nektar is not focused on a single drug or therapeutic area, if you work here as a scientist, doctor or clinical developer, you need to be very flexible and dynamic--not wed to any particular field. For some, this is a big drawback if your expertise or commitment is to a particular field.

Advice to Management

Continue to build the company beyond being a drug developer and into the commercial realm. This is a very difficult and capital intensive chasm to cross and they need to stay very focused and committed.

"Benefits are top notch"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics full-time

Pros

great benefits, flexible work environment, great people to work with, interesting work, great compensation package; good communication between sites

Cons

busy workload, tight deadlines, staffing level is just right, no extra to assist in tight times, need more development for employees.

Advice to Management

Develop employees more within the tight schedule, reward groups that have lower turnover

"Terrific Company"

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics full-time

Pros

Great leadership, great people, great science, high energy.

Cons

San Francisco headquarters is in a high traffic area, however, company provides flexible work schedule and commute benefits to offset this.

8. "Great people and stable growing company"

Former Employee - Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nektar Therapeutics full-time

Pros

I worked at Nektar for quite some time (4 years in San Francisco offices) and have to say that it was one of my best work experiences. The people there are all highly motivated and really care about making a difference. The offices are really beautiful too. I felt like I could contribute a lot when I went to work every day and that even senior managers would listen to my ideas.

Cons

Mission Bay is a growing area and so traffic got a little busy; however, the muni line goes right the outside of the building and the company provides commuter passes -- a great perk.

Advice to Management

Grow in San Francisco! nice to see an investment in the expansion of that building.

9. "Clinical"

I worked at Nektar Therapeutics (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great potential in staff only if realized by management

Cons

Aggressive Management. Does not respect employees

Advice to Management

Respect your employees

"Walmart has a lower turnover rate"

Former Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nektar Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some very talented, smart people here. You will find them huddled in the corners, fearing for their jobs on the regular.

Cons

Organizational structure makes absolutely no sense. Remote based, inexperienced management with a serious chip on their shoulder. Fear-based culture. Arrogance.

Advice to Management

Quit being so petty with your employees and micromanaging them. Design your trials better, hire experienced people.