Nelnet Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Nelnet Chairman and Co-CEO Mike Dunlap
Mike Dunlap

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great people, great pay, great opportunities for growth, fun projects, AWESOME work-life balance" (in 23 reviews)

• "The company has good benefits for the type work" (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "Call Center environment limits schedule flexibility and becomes cumbersome" (in 21 reviews)

• "Upper management doesn't listen to middle management" (in 15 reviews)

1. "A good call center position and entry level."

Current Employee - Advisor in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Advisor in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Nelnet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great way to learn about student loans, hone customer service, and develop organizational skills.

Cons

Call Center environment limits schedule flexibility and becomes cumbersome.

2. "Progressive, evolving, and nuanced."

Current Employee - IT Software Developer in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - IT Software Developer in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Nelnet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nelnet cares a lot about culture and brand awareness. They are always looking to improve themselves, try new things, explore options. Yet they do also understand their core competencies, and capitalize on them.

Cons

In my experience, the company is very traditional finance/business, and they have a lot to learn about their management of the software lifecycle. They are playing catch-up, and it's a messy process. A lot of people get surprised by the "churn" of constant change.

3. "ok"

I have been working at Nelnet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

it's an ok place to work

Cons

management is cliquey. unclear feedback when applying for positions.

4. "So far, so good..."

Current Employee - Advisor I in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Advisor I in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nelnet full-time

Pros

Detailed training, good tech, great opportunity to serve others, diverse work culture, ETO, generous policies for self improvement in the workplace and life in general, good options for healthy eating onsite.

Cons

No consistency on QA for standard Nelnet policy and procedure, which makes for frustrated employees who are worried about call quality from one call to the next. Schedule inflexibility. No ride share program initiated by the company to ensure employees can carpool (on every shift) and cut down on environmental impact. No "work at home" opportunities for call center employees.

Advice to Management

Help desk could use some advanced training on what it means to actually "help," not get exasperated because new employees don't know everything. Invest in a ride share program for employees that shows then Nelnet cares if the employee can show up AND get home. Schedule flexibility could use some work. Invest in Call Center "work at home" positions for those who are willing, which is the norm for telephone work involving psii these days. There is no piece of information coming through Nelnet that would disable an employee from working at home. That move alone would solve the issue of crowding, bring down the cost of overhead, fix both the schedule flexibility and ride share issues simultaneously, as well as enable Nelnet to retain quality employees who actually want to work for the company.

5. "Great job"

Current Employee - Representative II in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Representative II in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Nelnet full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, no micro management if performing well.

Cons

can be repetitive, boring after a bit

6. "amazing people"

I have been working at Nelnet full-time

Pros

I enjoy my job, but the people are second to none.

Cons

Struggle to find work/life balance.

"Bad experience -DO NOT RECOMEND"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison, WI

I worked at Nelnet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weekends off and paid on time

Cons

I don’t not know where to begin as there are so many cons.

-Earned time off - only get 2 weeks off in one year. We were told at training that as long as we give couple weeks notice we would have our days off approved that is a LIE. Several employees including myself requested off a year in advance because some of us have families out of the country we would like to visit and the requests got denied. My request got approved but without eto I still got penalized in their stupid points system and it was never explained during training.

I had to go see a doctor for an ongoing eye issue they told me with a doctors there would be no issues and days off would be approved. Another LIE. I still got penalized with points even with a doctors note. FYI 12 points and they fire you. I complained they said they would take the points off but they only took a couple off. If you have health issues and needing to see a doctor regularly please forget about working here they will make it hell for you to request off.

Machines - they make you work like machines and micromanage breaks like it’s a nazi camp. You are one minute late from scheduled break you get penalized.
    They do not care if it’s snowing,blizzarding they expect you to show up to work even though when the State is shut down. They do not care about the safety of its employees on icy roads.
     They do not recognize accomplishments and good numbers they only look for even higher near imposible expectations meaning taking calls after calls non stop just like robots. We are humans they don’t acknowledge that -that is because they are in competition with other student loan services I.e Mohila and they forget about respect towards their employees. Management is horrible they tell you one thing then turn around and say the opposite they cannot be trusted.

Systems - computers always break down , programs break down and they still expect you to take calls even without a working computer - borrowers get frustrated and yell at us for the systems being down yet we are told to stay on the line.

The job itself is very depressing always borrowers yell, cry and even threaten to commit suicide - it is very rare that you get a happy call.

It is advertised as a customer care position but it is actually a sales position they make you compete with other employees and with other student borrower companies. All they care is to bring as much money as possible and keep accounts current.

I have so much more to say but I will end it here. I did learn a lot there and got good work experience. However if you want a job that will treat you as a human being ,respect you and not lie then I strongly recommend to looks elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your employees as humans and not machines. Respect you employees.

"Lower pay, but job security."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nelnet full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Overall good work/life balance. Ability to occasionally work from home as a supervisor.

Cons

Expensive health insurance. Lack of career growth in Omaha after reaching the supervisor level. Other companies typically pay close to 20-30% more for the same job title. You can be asked to manage a team of 30+ people.

Advice to Management

Find better solutions to lower health care costs. Pay cannot be considered competitive. Omaha location has 300+ employees, but minimal connection to the Lincoln office.

"Culture and change"

I have been working at Nelnet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Place for growth, meet lots of people. Diversity

Cons

Doing all the right things to improve culture, just not executed well most of the time. The rate of pay is substantially lower compared to profit margins.

"Love it"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Nelnet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great pay, great opportunities for growth, fun projects, AWESOME work-life balance. The leaders couldn't be better.

Cons

None that I can think og