Nelnet Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Nelnet Chairman and Co-CEO Mike Dunlap
Mike Dunlap

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very good work life balance and scheduling (in 16 reviews)

• Decent pay with excellent bonuses and good benefits (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't listen to middle management (in 13 reviews)

• There are some "cons" to the position but what call center doesn't have them (in 12 reviews)

"Job overview"

Former Employee - Accounting in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Accounting in Aurora, CO

I worked at Nelnet (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited overtime, other than that not good at all.

Cons

Super stressful, micromanagement, tied to a clock, angry customers who can't pay their loans, stay away from this place!

Advice to Management

Hire educated individuals who actually know what to do. You hire idiots internally.

"Not a good place to work"

Current Employee - Advisor I in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Advisor I in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Nelnet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual dress and the break room is nice. A couple of the managers are pretty cool. I have met some nice people and made friends.

Cons

Some of the managers a set and ready to hand out write ups and occurences for every little thing. I have never received any positive feedback from my current supervisor only negative, but my scores from the QA and QC team are high so it's very confusing. The pay is very very low for what we have to deal with day in and day out. We are supposed to be getting more pay based on the contract from department of ED, but they have found a way to screw you out of it unless you decline health insurance. They try to say the fringe benefit from DOE is paying for the health insurance, but it is not because it come out of my measly little 13.59 and hour every two weeks. Call center employees are expected to wait for break times to use the restroom, but for me, and I am sure others, that is impossible so I have to use my break time at a few minutes here and there to use the bathroom instead of being given time to use the bathroom and being able to take a full 15 minute break.

Advice to Management

Stop screwing your employees out of the money they deserve and pay people with experience a bit more then what those with no experience are getting paid.

"disability"

Former Employee - Advisor I in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Advisor I in Omaha, NE

Pros

not a good place to work at too much turn around of both management and advisors

Cons

once Nelnet management found out I had a disability I was let with in 2 weeks from discussing this with my supervisor. Also this happened after the day I received formal notification I got custody of my 2 minor children.

"Poor management makes for bad environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arvada, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arvada, CO

I worked at Nelnet (More than a year)

Pros

The IT staff knew their stuff and were good to work with.

Cons

Lots of turnover in staff and management. Constant reorganizations and backpeddling on decisions. Did not provide a stable and secure work environment. Company was only focused on the 10 mile radius around Lincoln, NE, even though the majority of its workforce was based in the Denver area. Felt like the unwanted and unimportant step-children.

Advice to Management

Look closely at your management staff. Remember that employees quit their managers, not their jobs.

"Only if you fit in"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Omaha, NE

I worked at Nelnet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, tuition reimbursement, (limited) growth opportunities, friendliness of executive/corporate level employees, corporate office is best place to work with humble and professional staff (Lincoln office)

Cons

Management, training, pay, low challenge workload, advancement, very cliquish and if you're not in the clique then you're not part of what's accepted, manager did everything and would not relinquish control, micro management, biased advancement based upon sole decision maker's opinion, Omaha office, literally, hires anyone for customer service jobs, managerial staff not experienced enough. These remarks are for the Omaha office as the Lincoln and Omaha offices are quite different, most of the Omaha management staff comes from small towns and still have the mentality of such. Worst job experience I have ever had. I would sit for hours with no work and ask my manager at minimum four times a day for something to work on or help with. Training was half a day long on first day and questions were met with an attitude of annoyance from manager. If you give any ideas on improvements that can be made they are not accepted. I enjoyed everyone I met on a personal level but not on a professional level. HR department is ran by one person who makes all hiring decisions and if you aren't on her good side you're screwed.

Advice to Management

Set clear expectations and give employees work to do rather than doing everything themselves. Get rid of the clique's, it isn't high school.

"Advisor 1"

Current Employee - Advisor in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Advisor in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Nelnet (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty decent pay and benefits

Cons

Awful supervisors, unattainable metrics and no opportunity for schedule changes no matter how important. Short notice mandatory overtime that they jip you on pay for.

Advice to Management

Happy employees are just as important as customers maybe then you wouldn't have lost almost 90 people all in one month!

"Customer service hell"

Current Employee - Student Loan Advisor in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Student Loan Advisor in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Nelnet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is horrible. Your eto accrues pretty fast though. Also some of the coworkers make showing up to work somewhat bearable.

Cons

The "leadership" at Nelnet is a joke. The ability to get promoted has no correlation to management skills. The quality assurance department is inept. I feel bad for all the people stuck with third rate servicing of their student loans. Nelnet is ran by selfish people who have no grasp of reality and avoid this place like the plague.

Advice to Management

Try and find a new path to hiring that will bring in new ideas and people to help Nelnet try and catch up to the rest of the business world. Quit being a joke servicer.

8. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Lincoln, NE

Pros

The benefits package is very good.

Cons

Some of the policy changes of the upper management are questionable.

"This place is ridiculous!"

Current Employee - Loan Advisor in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Loan Advisor in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nelnet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Modern break room, only Pro

Cons

Freezing cold /roasting hot! Employees wear winter coats and hats in winter at desks all day. Some bring in electric blankets. Really. If you have to pee, you have to record time (seriously)! 1 day off of missed work time in 60 day period considered excessive (in company manual). Better not get sick, ever. Paid earned time off hard to utilize for vacation time. Have to request it 90 days in advance for possibility of maybe getting days off. The company wants you to utilize the time for slow call times! Low pay - barely above poverty level. Mandatory OT which you need to get scheduled and approved for. You have zero time allotted to read the many emails you are required to read.

Advice to Management

You need to see how new employees are being treated!

"They do not value loyalty or production and are completely disorganized from top to bottom."

Current Employee - Student Loan Advisor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Student Loan Advisor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Nelnet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent schedule flexibility, if your supervisor likes you. Moderate work life balance but only when overtime is not mandatory.

Cons

ZERO chance for advancement. After being the top performing team in the department for 26 consecutive months, our whole our team was demoted twice in 6 months. Commission structure was average, but changed on a monthly basis, and now is non-existent.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Get out of your cozy penthouse office and immerse yourself in the culture you have built. The employees have the ability to make a company great but only if they feel appreciated.