Nelson Labs Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Jeffery Nelson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, hard to advance without scientific background (in 9 reviews)

• Salaries are minimal for the amount of work required and the expectations of the employee (in 3 reviews)

"Cares about people, however absolutely not competitive."

I have been working at Nelson Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great people to work with. Very knowledgeable and professional. The president Jeff Nelson is a genuinely good person who really cares about each person.

Cons

They pay at the analyst level is probably on par with industry. Unfortunately the further you rise in ranks within the company the pay becomes less and less competitive. The training we receive is excellent and that creates a "Player Farm" from which other large medical device manufacturers draw from. Essentially the thought is "Nelson employees are great, but they are underpaid, we can poach them easily by throwing more money at them and get a fantastic employee". As you visit medical device manufacturers in the area, this becomes very apparent as they are peppered with former Nelson employees who are thriving! The issue that this causes within Nelson is that the company spends a great deal of time and energy to get an employee up to a fully competent level then they are quickly lost. We had one employee who was working for 16.00 an hour (had a BS in the scientific field as many of us do) and after less than a year found an entry level engineering job which payed roughly 60,000 per year which was roughly a 28,000 dollar raise! Its not secret that people come here for lab experience, or regulatory experience, put in a few years then go for a real grown up job somewhere that values them monetarily.

2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Laboratory Analyst in Taylorsville, UT
    Current Employee - Laboratory Analyst in Taylorsville, UT

I have been working at Nelson Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very family friendly, lots of fun activities

Cons

I can't think of any

Advice to Management

None

"Study Director"

Current Employee - Study Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Study Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Nelson Labs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Over the many years of working with this company the pros are diminishing. They once had a great company culture that was family oriented. It is my opinion that it is a great place to start and gain experience, but no life long career potential, unless you aren't into building a meaningful career, this company may be for you. 401k matches up to 4.5 percent with 6% contribution. The President, Jeffery is really great. He is very kind and has genuine vestment in the company.

Cons

Try supporting a family on the wages offered, even for important positions such as a study director. Its d@m* near impossible. From what I understand, next levels after study director make not much more. I felt that I was once treated as a person with goals and aspirations. The recent merger with Sotera (formerly Sterigenics) has made many a few changes. Sotera is moving to a performance based employee review system. I perceive that this will only objectify employees, and further dehumanize us. Benefits are all moving toward an HSA plan. This is great if you are young, healthy and without children but will make it more difficult to support chronic illnesses. It is no secret that compensation is well below average for the industry.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, please consider how you are going to get higher level employees to stay. Bring back a sense of teamwork, and a genuine interest in development of your staff.

4. "Lab Analyst 1"

I have been working at Nelson Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

On site Cafeteria, workout room with nice showers. Free fruit, juice, and popcorn.

Cons

Nothing has been bad yet.

5. "Gets worse and worse"

I worked at Nelson Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most fellow employees are hard workers and care about the product/service they provide.

Cons

HSA Insurance with little employer contribution, merged with Sterigenics and seem to care less about employees

6. "Lab Analyst 2"

Former Employee - Lab Analyst II
    Former Employee - Lab Analyst II

I worked at Nelson Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Knowledge learned on the job was great, on site cafeteria with warm food, on site gym, normal business hours for most departments, and convenient location.

Cons

There is a disconnect between management and the lab staff. Often favoritism is shown throughout the lab for any advancement. Also the pay is very low for anyone with a bachelors degree. They have hired general lab staff with high school diplomas to do the work of scientists. Once Nelson Labs merged with Sterigenics the benefits and morale dropped.

Advice to Management

Offer decent livable wage to your employees who are putting out more work than others. Also promotions should be based performance and not favoritism. I would not recommend this lab if you have a 4 year degree in science.

7. "Document Imaging Specialist"

Former Employee - Document Imaging Specialist
    Former Employee - Document Imaging Specialist

I worked at Nelson Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, approachable upper management, dedication to quality, well organized employee training.

Cons

Low pay, hard to advance without scientific background.

8. "Great Company - Low Pay"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Nelson Labs full-time

Pros

Good work environment, engaged managment

Cons

Low pay, limited advancement opportunities

9. "Lab Analyst I"

I worked at Nelson Labs full-time

Pros

First month of training was very well executed.

Cons

Not enough work to do, overstaffed
    Wasteful with paper
    Operations could use A LOT of work on creating a better flow
    Lack of communication with fellow lab analysts
    Everyone is in competition with each other, not willing to help out newbies
    Very under paid for this type of industry
    Hours are odd
    Weird rules to advance in the company

Advice to Management

Realize how to be a leader rather than a boss. It was always hard tracking down a study director, supervisor or even the head of the department to ask a simple question. My short time there I always got the run around and spent more of my time trying to find a superior rather than "testing."

Also, as a leader, make a decision depending on the companies NEEDS not on if it'll hurt people's feelings. You are in this position for a reason and sometimes you have to make the tough calls to benefit everyone in the near future.

10. "Stable but flawed employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Nelson Labs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is in a bit and growing market, and there's lots of opportunities for advancement (depending on which department you're in).

Cons

Corporate team makes questionable decisions about allocations of resources and is frequently reluctant to make necessary investments needed to stay competitive. Benefits and bonuses are sub par and communication from senior leadership is often lacking. Bonuses for 2Q this year were postponed for several months with less than a week's notice.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about short-term gains and invest in needed infrastructure upgrades, specifically IT development budget and staff as well as new lab space to replace aging resources.