Nelson Labs Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 16, 2017

2.0
Jeffery Nelson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • An awesome company to work for with a great culture and a decent set of benefits (in 7 reviews)

• Good work environment, engaged managment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, limited advancement opportunities (in 9 reviews)

• Salaries are minimal for the amount of work required and the expectations of the employee (in 3 reviews)

"Study Director"

Current Employee - Study Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Study Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Nelson Labs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Over the many years of working with this company the pros are diminishing. They once had a great company culture that was family oriented. It is my opinion that it is a great place to start and gain experience, but no life long career potential, unless you aren't into building a meaningful career, this company may be for you. 401k matches up to 4.5 percent with 6% contribution. The President, Jeffery is really great. He is very kind and has genuine vestment in the company.

Cons

Try supporting a family on the wages offered, even for important positions such as a study director. Its d@m* near impossible. From what I understand, next levels after study director make not much more. I felt that I was once treated as a person with goals and aspirations. The recent merger with Sotera (formerly Sterigenics) has made many a few changes. Sotera is moving to a performance based employee review system. I perceive that this will only objectify employees, and further dehumanize us. Benefits are all moving toward an HSA plan. This is great if you are young, healthy and without children but will make it more difficult to support chronic illnesses. It is no secret that compensation is well below average for the industry.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, please consider how you are going to get higher level employees to stay. Bring back a sense of teamwork, and a genuine interest in development of your staff.

2. "Gets worse and worse"

I worked at Nelson Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most fellow employees are hard workers and care about the product/service they provide.

Cons

HSA Insurance with little employer contribution, merged with Sterigenics and seem to care less about employees

3. "Lab Analyst 2"

Former Employee - Lab Analyst II
    Former Employee - Lab Analyst II

I worked at Nelson Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Knowledge learned on the job was great, on site cafeteria with warm food, on site gym, normal business hours for most departments, and convenient location.

Cons

There is a disconnect between management and the lab staff. Often favoritism is shown throughout the lab for any advancement. Also the pay is very low for anyone with a bachelors degree. They have hired general lab staff with high school diplomas to do the work of scientists. Once Nelson Labs merged with Sterigenics the benefits and morale dropped.

Advice to Management

Offer decent livable wage to your employees who are putting out more work than others. Also promotions should be based performance and not favoritism. I would not recommend this lab if you have a 4 year degree in science.

4. "Lab Analyst"

I worked at Nelson Labs full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, ability for overtime

Cons

Low pay, not a lot of advancement opportunities, rumors

5. "Lab Tech 1"

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Nelson Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. Cafeteria on site. Secure facility.

Cons

Management. Few vacation hours. No sick days.

Advice to Management

Work on attendance policies (sick, vacation, pregnancy leave).

"Quality Related Position"

I have been working at Nelson Labs full-time

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Caring Boss, Tuition Reimbursement

Cons

Additional benefits are being taken away. Work keeps adding on to what is already there.

"Not the best"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Nelson Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, decent sense of being on an inclusive team

Cons

Compensation is incredibly sub-par compared to the industry. As an analyst, you are essentially asked to do all the work or leave; analysts are constantly used as scapegoats for problems in the lab. Employees are often crushed under workloads, with no realistic view of completing some tasks on time.

Advice to Management

Care about your lower tier employees more. They are the key to your success!

8. "Meh"

Pros

Fun place to work, most people are friendly. The pay and work were really great.

Cons

I worked in different departments and management/supervisors was really unprofessional. Growth was limited.

Advice to Management

Chill out. We get it, you're a big deal. No need to step all over your employees to prove it. Also, maybe some sensibility training.

"Lab Analyst"

Pros

Got to work with my degree, some of my coworkers became good friends, ethical company

Cons

Not scientific work most of the time, high stress environment, low pay. Understaffed, many sections consistently required mandatory overtime. I was unhappy while I worked there, and many other analysts I spoke to acrossed multiple sections were also very unhappy with their jobs.

Advice to Management

Increase pay for employees who have degrees if you want to keep them, provide incentives for accomplishments, care about your employees. Be flexible. You're hiring millenials, learn what makes them happy if you want to keep quality workers.

"Entry Level Employeer, Have a plan to move on as this is not a career company"

I worked at Nelson Labs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at Nelson in a mid-level management position for nearly 8 years. Now that I have moved on in the industry I see things much more clearly.

Pros: One can receive a good introduction to the market and laboratory business and have some good hands on learning opportunities.

Cons

Hours are not always fixed and fall under the needs of the studies being performed. Management comes from a small business atmosphere growing into big business. There is somewhat of a totalitarian atmosphere from the executive leadership and an almost fear like attitude from staff as they never know what to expect as a reaction to any given situation. Pay is generally low. When time for a new expansion or end of year budget report comes the first thing to go are benefits. Friends are promoted, if you make waves by asking questions you are punished. Big promises are made to clients and the staff are expected to fulfill them at all costs. Planning is generally up to one or two individuals or the sales team, scientists don't have much say in the schedule. This type of pressure can lead to mistakes, errors and sometimes shortcuts which are never a good idea. There is a "list" kept by the CEO of who he sees as needing of his intervention. Inside word is to keep off that list at all costs! As long as the company name looks good in the papers, shhh we don't talk about behind closed doors.

Advice to Management

Benchmark from larger international companies. Just telilng your people they are important isn't enough. Focus on LEAN but there is also a human side to the business. Bring management to the shop floor level and get your hands dirty. Invest in better controls, automation, resources, time mangement tools and earn some respect.