Nerd Corps Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Asaph “Ace” Fipke

1. "I have worked there for a year as an environment designer"

Former Employee - Designer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Designer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Nerd Corps Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very motivated team and passionate people made my experience there a total paradise professionally speaking ! Everything was there for everyone to develop his/her skills

Cons

After a year in their basement in the absolute darkness, I now need to wear glasses
    Their building is a total disaster

2. "Potentially A Great Studio"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Nerd Corps Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Got to work on some cool projects with some great people.

Enjoyed stable employment for many years.

Received raises and promotions in a timely manner.

Excellent employee benefits package.

Work environment was pretty casual.

Cons

Nerd Corps was a company with exceptional employment stability. Since being acquired by DHX Media, things started to change a bit. I watched a handful of employees let go, some of which I did not expect.

The shot tracking system was very good in most aspects, but the fact that it had a built in timer that would tell employees how far behind they were was quite stressful and did not always accurately reflect the work that was being done. The result was people feeling guilty and/or rebellious all the time and in the end would single people out as opposed to a more team based approach to the work. They are switching to Shotgun tracking system, so things may be a bit better once that is underway.

In terms of promotions, I felt that I was promoted at the appropriate times although I witnessed other employees that seemed to be disappointed at how slow people were promoted. However, the more senior positions and supervisory positions were often filled with employees that probably did not have enough experience yet. I applaud the fact that Nerd Corps wanted to promote from within, but sometimes it is more important to have someone with experience fill those roles to provide the necessary leadership to be efficiently successful. While DHX is more open to this concept I don't want them to forget about their current employees; if someone is really good at what they do and deserve to be promoted to a leadership role, they should definitely be considered before an outside hire.

Nerd Corps was very slow in switching to industry standard software. Many people were trained in a Maya/NUKE workflow, but we were using Softimage XSI for everything. I was fine with using Softimage at the time because I had gotten to know it quite well, but now that I am looking for new employment I feel a little behind the times.

There was a continuing education program for employees that was getting set up, but seems to have gotten cancelled. I was pretty excited about this as there was going to be classes that we could attend to further develop our skills. Hopefully they can bring this project back at some point for the benefit of their employees (and for the benefit of the company).

There was no designated lunch room for employees to gather. Lots of people would just end up sitting at their desk through lunch, myself included. Hopefully the new DHX studio will have better facilities for the employees.

Note about my rating for the company: For the majority of the time I was employed at Nerd Corps I would have given 4 out of 5, but lowered it to a 3 by the time I left. I have hopes that within the next few years DHX will have made some changes that benefit the employees' happiness and well being.

Advice to Management

Employees need to be paid more, especially now that DHX does not provide stable employment like Nerd Corps did otherwise the studio won't be able to entice or retain people.

Check in more with employees to make sure they are still engaged by the work they are doing and are happy with their role in the company.

Keep up to date with industry standard hardware/software and provide training for employees so that they can continue to do their best for the company.

3. "Aniamtor"

Pros

nice place, interesting, good environment, nice people, good managment, easy pipeline

Cons

funny coffe! some times long hours,

5. "Great learning compnay"

Former Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Nerd Corps Entertainment (Less than a year)

Pros

You will learn. New skills and abilities. You will use your new skills and expand your range of knowledge ans you progress.

Cons

Tight schedules. Steep learning curve. Not always able to receive good input as to your progress other that your accomplished work load.

6. "Good for juniors"

Former Employee - Animator in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Nerd Corps Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool projects. It's a good first job to get into the industry. You'll learn a lot.

Cons

It seems like the company is going through some growing pains. The quotas are high and it's kind of a sweat shop

Advice to Management

Try and find out what is happening on the floor. It would be beneficial for management to get to know the staff more. The high quotas can be chaotic at times and it is important than management is on top of managing the teams.

7. "I learned a lot, the work load was too much."

Former Employee - Animator in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Nerd Corps Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Newly introduced benefits are better than you will find at most places in the animation industry. The people were great. The directors were patient. A great place to find your footing in the industry.

Cons

Low wages. Probably the lowest in the industry. The work load was too much. Animation quality was lacking. A tracking system was used that overloaded it's employees telling them they were cronically behind. Felt like a career at a factory rather than a dream job.

Advice to Management

Raise the rate of pay to a new realistic standard of living in Vancouver. Bring higher quality and budget IP'S into the company. To allow your Sr. Staff to grow.

8. "Good people, tough management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros

great coworkers
    cool shows
    forced to learn quickly

Cons

old software
    company uses a business model to treat employees
    unpaid overtime

Advice to Management

ease up and treat your artist fairly

9. "Not bad"

I have been working at Nerd Corps Entertainment full-time

Pros

Good environment and people to work with and well located close to commercial-broadway.

Cons

Low salary and overtime aaaall time.

10. "Doing ok but feeling the burn.."

Current Employee - Animator
    Current Employee - Animator

I have been working at Nerd Corps Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great and the teams you build while you are on a project are amazing. Everyone feels like a family at times in the sense that we are all pulling through times to get things done and encouraging each other.

Cons

Sometimes, management puts the pressure on people, especially newer people. I can't tell you how many times I've run across someone burned out from just stress and pressure, myself included. I know that TV has a tight turnaround but people are dropping left and right from the studios because they aren't being paid enough to put up with some of the mental things they have to go through.

Advice to Management

Please don't push your newer people to the point of breaking. They are having a hard enough time with the concept of Sparcx in the first couple of months to deal with you breathing down their neck. Mental health is just as important as a good life/work balance.

11. "Getting better"

Current Employee - Senior 3D Modeler - Character Rigging in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Nerd Corps Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nerd is a decent place, especially for people looking to get a start in the industry. The company will always have work, I have yet to see them let anyone go due to lack of projects and that means a steady paycheck. The people you work with end up being a great part of the experience there as well. Since being bought by DHX, there have been many moves by upper management to improve the atmosphere and attitude of the company, which is a refreshing change from previous years. Things are more upbeat and positive than last year, which was more upbeat and positive than the year before. Its a company that has had some growing pains but seem to be striding forward right now (2015).

Cons

The pay scales and upgrades need some review, and the question of paid overtime is most of the time, a laughing matter. The scheduling also is a bit in the hands of the coordinators and a spreadsheet, being 'behind' can result in an employee working lots of O.T to catch up which can frustrate and burn out a lot of people. The projects are for children so if you are looking for something more adult, that would not be Nerd's target audience. Its not a bad thing, just not what some people might be looking for.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the direction you are, and look to value skilled and experienced employees more.