NerdWallet Reviews

Updated Apr 23, 2021

3.7
NerdWallet CEO Tim Chen
Tim Chen
Pros
  • "The work life balance here is unparalleled - everyone gets their work done without needing to force anyone to work late(in 23 reviews)

• "Great benefits with unlimited time off, flexible work schedule, great health benefits(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Some growing pains, but using them as learning opportunities(in 10 reviews)

• "3 rounds of layoffs in 8 months(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

A breath of fresh air

Apr 1, 2021 - IT Engineer II
      Business Outlook

Pros

Prior to joining NerdWallet as a fully remote employee, the company was at 26% remote. The content team was mostly remote as their job function requires lived experiences across the United States. This means that NerdWallet had the building blocks before the pandemic to become a remote first company. I joined the company during the start of the pandemic, and thanks to the remote teams resources and guidance, I was able to snap right in to the rhythm of NerdWallet, despite living thousands of miles from the office. NerdWallet actively cares about its culture and its employees. There is not an accepted culture of burnout and overworking. The values of the employees, and the values we hold for our customers, actually mean something positive. Because this company is in the financial space, they have may mature and robust processes which is great for a company of this age and size. I have never, ever, been happier at work.

Cons

Some things move slowly, but, I would rather embrace that, then be annoyed by it. While there are many robust processes in place, there are still some growing pains, especially when it comes to mergers and acquisitions. This isn't the end of the world, and the bumps in this road are nothing compared to legitimate incompetency or workplace abuse. Those are things that do not exist here.

Talent Coordinator

Thank you so much for your thoughts! We’re so glad to hear that you’re enjoying your time at NerdWallet. If you ever have any other thoughts—positive or negative—about your NerdWallet experience, please reach out to your team’s HRBP or share them in NerdVoice.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Quality Team, Good Mission and and Thoughtful Leaders

Mar 30, 2021 - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I absolutely love working here. My manager is super supportive of my career growth and has made expectations super clear for me. The hiring managers are seriously engaged here. In past companies, I have had to herd cats to get interviews scheduled but things move quickly and smoothly at NerdWallet. Manager's really care about their teams. The perks and benefits are fantastic too. HR recently refreshed our remote benefits to continue to support the company as we become a more remote company.

Cons

Because we are growing so quickly, work-life balance is tough at times but nothing unmanageable. thankful we have a flexible PTO!

3. 2.0

Hire and fire

Apr 23, 2021 - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice tech stack and location

Cons

No time to settle and deliver

4. 5.0

Improving Quickly

Mar 14, 2021 - Advisor in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Recovered from layoffs, clarified roles, expanding products, and getting more done, with overall great culture

Cons

Still too many slides and meetings

Talent Coordinator

Thank you so much for sharing this feedback with us! We’re glad to hear that your NerdWallet experience was positive and rewarding, and we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

5. 4.0

Organized tech company

Feb 24, 2021 - QA Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Lots of transparency -Seems like people are able to switch between teams without drama like some other smaller tech companies -Good benefits -CEO seems very mission-driven and sincere

Cons

-Very cliquey, weird environment when you see everyone sit in their own friend groups and don't say hi to others

Talent Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We’re committed to living our values, including Relentless Self-Improvement and Candid & Constructive, so we appreciate it. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

6. 4.0

Content team

Nov 16, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Solid pay and benefits, managers are given the tools to manage well and are expected to do so. I’ve also never worked with a genuinely nicer group of people. Our team runs like an extremely well-oiled machine. All of that counts for a lot.

Cons

I used to feel better about the work years ago, but it’s now more of a classic content farm setup, with articles written and designed primarily to game Google’s algorithms and to optimize clicks to partners. I always feel like if outsiders knew what we do to get their eyeballs and manipulate their behavior without their even realizing it, they’d be pretty appalled.

6 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Treats their employees like they're disposable

Jul 1, 2020 - Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits (competitive pay, 410k match, generous PTO, all the food, drinks, and snacks you can enjoy), some really smart and nice people, interesting industry to be solving problems in.

Cons

The quality of your experience depends primarily on which team you end up on, as there is no consistency when it comes to process, output, vision, talent, and most importantly - professionalism and communication. Some teams are great, and some will have you frantically trying to get out of an unhealthy work environment. The company's vision is so incredibly vague, and constantly changing. Despite this being a concern brought up repeatedly by employees, no progress has been made on defining company goals or roadmaps.  Leadership is consistently battling in a turf war, and the rest of the company bear the brunt of this constant conflict. High performing employees get pushed out for questionable reasons - too many for it to just be an anomaly. It reflects a pattern for how leadership deals with their own shortcomings. There is a crazy amount of turnover because of this, which means making progress on project work or career growth can be close to impossible, as teammates and managers are constantly leaving. Harassment is rampant (both verbal and physical) and HR doesn't take any action to address it other than silencing people. It's a good reminder that the department is there to protect the company, and not individual employees. While the company does indeed provide many avenues to voice concerns, you often get reprimanded for speaking up.  Overall, NerdWallet treats their employees like they are completely disposable, and many people live in constant fear of being fired or pushed out.

19 people found this review helpful

Talent

Hi, NerdWallet takes allegations of harassment very seriously. Our anti-harassment, non-discrimination, and non-retaliation policies are in place to protect employees. We appreciate you posting on Glassdoor, and welcome you to file an anonymous Red Flag report with the details of the incidents you’ve mentioned. You can do this by contacting Red Flag directly and can find more information on how to do so on our internal wiki. Reports are routed directly to the General Counsel and will be addressed immediately. It’s our goal to ensure NerdWallet is a safe and productive place for all Nerds.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great culture

Feb 1, 2021 - Business
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Awesome culture (for example, they just gave us 5 new mental health holidays in 2021 on top of the office being closed from Xmas to New Years) -Smart people -Mission driven company -Great work life balance

Cons

-Equity comp is not great

Talent Coordinator

Thank you so much for your thoughts! We’re so glad to hear that you’re enjoying your time at NerdWallet. If you ever have any other thoughts—positive or negative—about your NerdWallet experience, please reach out to your team’s HRBP or share them in NerdPS.

9. 5.0

great place to work

Jan 16, 2021 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is really friendly, collaborative, and there's a great culture and work life balance. The company is really committed to providing our users the best experience.

Cons

Stock compensation isn't nearly as much as you would get anywhere else

10. 5.0

Great place to work

Dec 9, 2020 - Writer
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people were the strongest asset at NerdWallet. They hire competent and kind people that built up a smart, practical culture of people who wanted to do good. It's great as a younger person but there was a good amount of age diversity too. Great benefits, got fed every day, flexible working hours.

Cons

Sometimes the work got boring, but it's work.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 134 Reviews