NerdWallet Reviews

3.8
NerdWallet CEO Tim Chen
Tim Chen

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Smart people that you can learn a lot from(in 26 reviews)
  • "Benefits are great but starting to shrink day by day.(in 20 reviews)
  • "Great work life balance(in 13 reviews)
  • "Great culture.(in 12 reviews)
  • "Everyone is nice, professional development is a priority for managers, good work is rewarded more than hard work so success comes from finding ways to be valuable, work life balance is real(in 7 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Very supportive of their employees

Apr 12, 2022 - Data Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Love the benefits and the work culture

Cons

If I should mention one then its the work - life balance

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

NerdWallet isn't perfect but it's trying

Mar 15, 2022 - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Great work life balance. * People are not being forced to return to the office; it's 100% optional currently. * Most of the engineers I work with are amazing people. When we collaborate on things together I generally take it as a given now that people will go in with an open mindset and work together to solve things. We seem to work best when doing that. I really love working at NerdWallet. Even with all the negatives, ultimately it's a great place to work.

Cons

* Another reorg. Again! One every year for the past 3 years. I just got used to the last one! * Feel like sometimes there's a lot of problems we're being shielded from. Would be good to see a bit more of the fire. I think we bias a little too much for protecting people when we don't need to. * Probably time to start ramping up the compensation to keep a hold of the people with some years under their belt. People are getting itchy.

4 people found this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Current Employee

The single best company for writers I can imagine

Apr 24, 2022 - Staff Writer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic culture and appreciation for work-life balance. There is also a genuine desire to foster talent and work with writers to meet their career progression goals.

Cons

The interview process can be pretty grueling, although maybe others with more experience wouldn’t think so. But once you’re in, it’s really an amazing job.

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A great work culture and work life balance

Apr 14, 2022 - Writer
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Friendly team -Learning stipends -Flexibility -Great work life balance

Cons

-No free healthcare -Sometimes feels like you’re working in a silo

5. 4.0

Some pretty good things

Apr 10, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Smart team members Lots of opportunities to stretch and learn Solid perks & benefits Lots of earnest people

Cons

Some lack of transparency from leadership

6. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place except a few micromanagers

Feb 4, 2022 - Staff Data Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

NerdWallet is one of the best companies I have worked for in my career and would recommend my friends and family. Friendly people with a strong desire&mission to succeed.

Cons

However, my review is based on the experience with the data team(esp. management, director level and up) in the past - micromanaging, promoting favorites, blame game, picking on individual to make them feel incompetent, constant negativity. Culture was such that no one worked together instead worked against one another, setting deadlines, big talk about process. This will continue elsewhere. Toxicity was cleaned to a certain extent but was too late and the damage was done. A lot of folks suffered! Now the management has changed but I see the same trend we’re heading to.

NerdWallet Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, and for your ongoing contributions to NerdWallet. In the spirit of our values Open, Candid, and Constructive and Relentless Self-Improvement, we welcome your feedback and will be sharing your review for discussion internally. We strive to provide a positive employee experience for all Nerds and encourage you to share your feedback with your manager and HRBP.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not The Typical Tech Company

Feb 22, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Humble, down to earth culture - Fantastic Mission - Transparent / Clear Communication - Fantastic Work-Life Balance - Great Compensation, Benefits, Etc

Cons

- Typical growing pains of a company that is becoming larger

NerdWallet Recruiting

Thank you so much for your thoughts! We’re so glad to hear that you’re enjoying your time at NerdWallet. If you ever have any other thoughts—positive or negative—about your NerdWallet experience, please reach out to your team’s HRBP or share them in our next Pulse survey!

8. 5.0

A breath of fresh air

Apr 1, 2021 - IT Engineer II
    Business Outlook

Pros

Prior to joining NerdWallet as a fully remote employee, the company was at 26% remote. The content team was mostly remote as their job function requires lived experiences across the United States. This means that NerdWallet had the building blocks before the pandemic to become a remote first company. I joined the company during the start of the pandemic, and thanks to the remote teams resources and guidance, I was able to snap right in to the rhythm of NerdWallet, despite living thousands of miles from the office. NerdWallet actively cares about its culture and its employees. There is not an accepted culture of burnout and overworking. The values of the employees, and the values we hold for our customers, actually mean something positive. Because this company is in the financial space, they have may mature and robust processes which is great for a company of this age and size. I have never, ever, been happier at work.

Cons

Some things move slowly, but, I would rather embrace that, then be annoyed by it. While there are many robust processes in place, there are still some growing pains, especially when it comes to mergers and acquisitions. This isn't the end of the world, and the bumps in this road are nothing compared to legitimate incompetency or workplace abuse. Those are things that do not exist here.

10 people found this review helpful

Talent Coordinator

Thank you so much for your thoughts! We’re so glad to hear that you’re enjoying your time at NerdWallet. If you ever have any other thoughts—positive or negative—about your NerdWallet experience, please reach out to your team’s HRBP or share them in NerdVoice.

9. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Going public changed the company for the worse

Jan 28, 2022 - Other/Not Applicable
    Business Outlook

Pros

Exciting mission, some quality teams.

Cons

Strategy changes every quarter. There is a shocking lack of transparency that makes me question if we actually help the customers we serve. Compensation is below market for salary but especially for equity. If you want to spend the next years of your career getting micromanaged this is the opportunity for you For a company that tries to preach the value of feedback, you certainly don’t know how to take it

5 people found this review helpful

NerdWallet Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, and for your time at NerdWallet. We’re committed to addressing your concerns by embracing our values, including Relentless Self-Improvement and Open, Candid & Construction. We will be sharing your review for discussion internally. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

10. 2.0
    Current Employee

No idea what's happening

Feb 25, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Work from home is nice

Cons

* Compensation process is terrible * Random reorgs with no headsup * Inconsistent titles. People are midlevel with 10 years experience and senior with 2

Viewing 1 - 10 of 160 Reviews

NerdWallet Reviews FAQs

NerdWallet has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 173 reviews left anonymously by employees. 74% of employees would recommend working at NerdWallet to a friend and 72% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, NerdWallet employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at NerdWallet. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

74% of NerdWallet employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated NerdWallet 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 3.5 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at NerdWallet to be compensation, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be diversity and inclusion, career development, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with NerdWallet Job Seekers