NerdWallet Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2020

3.5
NerdWallet CEO Tim Chen
Tim Chen
Pros
  • "The work life balance here is unparalleled - everyone gets their work done without needing to force anyone to work late(in 21 reviews)

• "Great benefits with unlimited time off, flexible work schedule, great health benefits(in 12 reviews)

1. "Amazing Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Product Designer

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Remote Friendly, Positive team culture, great benefits and supportive management

Cons

Career growth at the company is ambiguous and depends on the team

July 8, 2020Talent

Thank you so much for your thoughts! We’re so glad to hear that you’re enjoying your time at NerdWallet. If you ever have any other thoughts—positive or negative—about your NerdWallet experience, please reach out to your team’s HRBP or share them in NerdPS.

"Treats their employees like they're disposable"

Former Employee - Employee

I worked at NerdWallet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits (competitive pay, 410k match, generous PTO, all the food, drinks, and snacks you can enjoy), some really smart and nice people, interesting industry to be solving problems in.

Cons

The quality of your experience depends primarily on which team you end up on, as there is no consistency when it comes to process, output, vision, talent, and most importantly - professionalism and communication. Some teams are great, and some will have you frantically trying to get out of an unhealthy work environment. The company's vision is so incredibly vague, and constantly changing. Despite this being a concern brought up repeatedly by employees, no progress has been made on defining company goals or roadmaps.  Leadership is consistently battling in a turf war, and the rest of the company bear the brunt of this constant conflict. High performing employees get pushed out for questionable reasons - too many for it to just be an anomaly. It reflects a pattern for how leadership deals with their own shortcomings. There is a crazy amount of turnover because of this, which means making progress on project work or career growth can be close to impossible, as teammates and managers are constantly leaving. Harassment is rampant (both verbal and physical) and HR doesn't take any action to address it other than silencing people. It's a good reminder that the department is there to protect the company, and not individual employees. While the company does indeed provide many avenues to voice concerns, you often get reprimanded for speaking up.  Overall, NerdWallet treats their employees like they are completely disposable, and many people live in constant fear of being fired or pushed out.

July 8, 2020Talent

Hi, NerdWallet takes allegations of harassment very seriously. Our anti-harassment, non-discrimination, and non-retaliation policies are in place to protect employees. We appreciate you posting on Glassdoor, and welcome you to file an anonymous Red Flag report with the details of the incidents you’ve mentioned. You can do this by contacting Red Flag directly and can find more information on how to do so on our internal wiki. Reports are routed directly to the General Counsel and will be addressed immediately. It’s our goal to ensure NerdWallet is a safe and productive place for all Nerds.

3. "Mission-driven and great people"

4.0
    Former Employee - Nerd in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NerdWallet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

compensation and benefits smart, driven, kind people career opportunity and growth

Cons

young leadership team competitive industry (still trying to find it's place as a consumer tech product company) politics

"Stock options and HR oddities"

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company gives stock-to new employees for free

Cons

Been at the company 6 years and *bought* my stock options just to learn that they're giving stock away to NEW employees for free. The people that built this company paid, with work, time, dedication and our money and newbies get it for free. This is a slap in the face to all long time employees. Public articles came out about it being a wonderful thing for the employees but in reality- old employees were trying to get rid of their options on a secondary market. It's not fair. Toal spin.

February 28, 2020Talent

We’re sorry to hear that you feel this way, but would like to provide some clarification that may help you. First, the switch to RSUs is not a benefit exclusive to new employees; it will apply to future equity grants for existing employees, as well. RSUs are also subject to time-based vesting, just as stock options are, so no one is being “given stock for free”: all Nerds are earning their equity day in and day out. What’s more, while RSUs are attractive because they convert to stock after vesting without requiring you pay an exercise price, RSU grants will be smaller than traditional option grants, in part to account for the fact that there is no strike price. Many companies award RSUs, including Google, Facebook, Pinterest and Slack. It is a form of equity award that is new to NerdWallet, but not new to the tech industry. As a long-time employee, you’ve had the opportunity to accrue a much larger share in the company—and likely at low strike prices. It’s impossible to evaluate the circumstances of a long-term Nerd such as yourself and those of a new employee as an apples-to-apples comparison, but we’d strongly recommend reading the RSU FAQ we shared, attending an RSU brown bag, or speaking with an MTL about your concerns. Second, in terms of our HR personnel, your assumption that we have been looking for a VP of PeopleOps is incorrect. Again, we recommend reaching out to your MTL with your concerns.

5. "Honestly a Spectacular place to work"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work life balance here is unparalleled - everyone gets their work done without needing to force anyone to work late. Honestly, this is so rare!

Cons

It can sometimes take a while to get promoted.

February 6, 2020Talent

"Hard to feel safe at a place where the politics are running rampant"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NerdWallet full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great perks and work-life balance - Some incredibly smart and driven people - Overall mission

Cons

- Middle-upper management is a huge political game - I’ve never trusted an HR org less in my career - A lot of lip service and foul play - Little output due to shifting roadmap and lack of clear direction and initiative (from the top down) I worked at NerdWallet full-time for almost two years. It was full of great times, amazing parties, and life-long friendships. It was also full of anxiety, extreme politic-ing, and mismanagement of people. It was mentally, emotionally, and eventually physically draining to go into a place every morning where I did not feel protected. NerdWallet talks a big talk when it comes to HR efforts around diversity, feedback, and support. It became very clear to me that these efforts are just overcompensating for the huge gap and mistrust among NW employees when I pursued these resources consistently with no change or actual support. I time and time again reported concerns of nepotism and unfair treatment of both myself and other members that were being affected on my team. I first reported this to my HR business partner and manager’s manager. During the several months of recurring meetings with both of these parties (many of which were constantly pushed out and cancelled), I was met with the same banalities and trite responses without any plan of action or recourse. While NerdWallet is insistent that HR reports are taken seriously and escalated as necessary, I did not at all find this to be true in the 6 months I spent logging written complaints and meeting with my HR business partner and manager +1. Therefore, I left on my own accord after voicing my concerns for the good part of a year with no improvement in sight. I had been reviewed as a high/exceeding expectations performer for my two years there, and it’s an extremely sad realization that NW is willing to lose good people due to the egregious amt of politics that go on. Beyond myself, I had seen this happen several times. If you value security, belonging, and support- I recommend you steer clear of this place. If you are OK with politics and ambiguity, then you'll be fine. Aside from the abundance of HR mistrust at this place, it is generally well-staffed with smart people. There is the opportunity to learn and grow if you are not bogged down by the mid-upper level management that is constantly entangled in politics and frankly a bit incompetent in leadership and people management skills. There are, of course, a few gems in that layer but the majority are indecisive and worried about their own place at the company. The power struggle is apparent and REAL. At the end of the day, I want to feel valued, and more importantly HEARD. That is why I made the decision to leave NerdWallet.

February 6, 2020Talent

We are sorry to hear that you felt your experience at NerdWallet was not what you wanted it to be. Our HRBPs work hard to be responsive and ensure employees have a space to voice concerns about their experience. It is our practice to evaluate issues that are brought to our attention and communicate with employees on next steps. We also use our pulse surveys where the HR team works with each leader to understand how their teams, and those individuals on the team are feeling and work to focus on acknowledging concerns and putting plans of action in place. Our commitment to this over the last few years has resulted in our high internal NPS scores for both the company and most teams. Thank you for sharing your perspective. NerdWallet is a place where employees have multiple channels to express concerns directly or anonymously and we want all Nerds to feel empowered and supported and will continue to ensure that moving forward.

"NerdWallet is a company filled with fantastic people"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time for more than a year

Pros

There's so many things I love about NerdWallet, but the best part is the people. You get a really great blend of people who are easy to work with, want to help you out, want to see the company and team succeed. I've worked at the company a while and haven't see any yelling, any scandals, people just genuinely care for each other here. I also really love the support parents get here. The salary and the work life balance are amazing too. The CEO is super cool, really down to earth and is also a quality person. This is really a place to grow your career and be a kind person. I obviously can't mention any of the revenue numbers, but things are going really well internally. There's a lot of opportunity for growth not just for the company, but for you as a person. Would really love to get more friends to work here to be honest. For engineering, the interviews aren't too difficult if you know what you're doing. I've observed NerdWallet cares more whether you're a nice person with a good attitude than if you can code bubble sort on a whiteboard from memory. No white board problems either!

Cons

I would also echo a concern that other reviewers wrote: the product doesn't have the greatest of direction. It's really tough to figure out how the product is going to grow when you're creating something for the consumer that's doing something new but I want to see more value add beyond SEO'ing static pages and moving around components. It's apparently coming. Will update the review in a year.

October 22, 2019Talent

Hi, we're so glad to hear that you are enjoying your time here so far! If you ever have any other thoughts-positive or negative-about your experience, please reach out to your team's HRBP or share them in NerdPS. We'd love to keep the conversation going.

"Uneven experience -- YMMV"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NerdWallet full-time for more than a year

Pros

time of high growth; great perks

Cons

leadership extraordinarily out of their depth, on all levels

October 22, 2019Talent

Hi, thank you for sharing these concerns and for your time at NerdWallet. We've surfaced this feedback to the leadership team for further discussion. Best wishes for your career.

"Solid company, kind people"

Current Employee - Business Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone is nice, professional development is a priority for managers, good work is rewarded more than hard work so success comes from finding ways to be valuable, work life balance is real

Cons

Although I think the world is better off with NerdWallet in it, I am not actually motivated day-to-day by the mission. This is not a problem with the company but something you should be aware of if joining a mission driven company is really valuable to you.

September 17, 2019Talent

Hi, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts! We're glad to hear that you're enjoying your time at NerdWallet and would love to keep this conversation going. Feel free to share any other thoughts about your NerdWallet experience to your team's HRBP or in NerdPS. Please also reach out concerning any questions around our mission, we're really excited about what we do and would love to share!

"Comfortable place to work, but so much wasted potential"

Former Employee - Business Operations

I worked at NerdWallet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

NW takes care of its employees compensation and benefits-wise and is generally a good place to work if you can stand the lack of direction and forward progress. Work life balance is generally respected and encouraged, which is great since in reality not a lot of ambitious or roadmap work happens. People are generally smart and mission driven. There is a lot of lip service to inclusion and belonging. It's overall a nice place to work with good compensation and comfortable work environment in most of the orgs. Always has glimmerings of what might --- good vision and mission.

Cons

Woefully incompetent senior leadership. There are a few good senior leaders, but several terrible ones that aren't handled. There is a lack of direction in product or even an understanding of how product is developed. Every attempt at forward progress is met by indecision, lack of deciders (or it coming down to Tim since he serves as ceo/cpo/coo) and lack of basic communication and coordination. Ultimately, a lot of the issues originate with the founder/CEO so they're hard to move past until he can mature or hire (and retain) a leader who has what he lacks.

September 17, 2019Talent

Hi, thank you for sharing your positive feedback along with your concerns. Our leaders are always open to feedback so we have brought this review up for further discussion by the applicable teams. We wish you the best for your career.

Found 120 reviews