NerdWallet Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
NerdWallet CEO Tim Chen
Tim Chen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Lastly work life balance is unmatchable (in 9 reviews)

• Outside of the benefits and perks, the feeling of value and appreciation that comes from our management team and my manager is what truly matters to me (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Normal growing pains, especially around product strategy (in 7 reviews)

• Everyone here is just waiting for a better offer, and no one is satisfied with their work (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Challenging Job with Comfortable Work Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Perks/Benefits. The company has great perks and benefits. From free breakfast and lunch daily, to cell phone and gym stipends, to 100% paid for medical coverage, NerdWallet definitely takes care of its employees.
    -People. NerdWallet is filled with friendly, driven, and intelligent people that make my time at work much more enjoyable.
    -Mission. Everyone is really passionate and believes in our mission of helping consumers both understand their financial lives better and helping them solve their financial problems. It's great to work at a company where I feel I am actually making people's lives better.
    -Flexibility. We have a policy of unlimited PTO and I feel that it is something that I can actually use. I've been at NW close to 2 years and have taken several trips over that time span. While your ability to take time off will vary slightly from manager to manager, in general, I've found the management team is very understanding that people have lives outside of work.

Cons

-As the company has continued to grow, I've felt that there has been more unnecessary bureaucracy and processes added in, which just makes things take longer to complete in general.
    -Detailed product roadmap could be more widely shared. Unless you are working on a product team, details are sparse when it comes to the exact products we are working on building.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! In general, the Management team is a group of down to earth people who are driven, passionate about our mission, and most importantly, really CARE about the employees.

Jun 8, 2017 – NerdWallet

Thanks for leaving us this review! We truly care about the health and happiness of our employees, and are proud to be able to provide them with amazing perks and benefits. We're constantly faced... More

"Start-up growing pains but still potential"

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is competitive, smart colleagues, and an inspiring mission.

Benefits are very good including commuter, health, gym, meals.

Cons

While the shifts in corporate strategy were needed, more thought needed to be done on how it impacts different teams in the org. And after layoffs, it would have been nice if more work was done to improve morale and increase retention.

Product seems to still not be solid in its strategy and execution. Hopefully, the new CTO can improve the situation.

The business teams are still trying to figure out improving traffic due to Google search changes, improving transactions and mobile. Key initiatives that make it seem they're really behind. They need too really understand corporate KPIs better.

Advice to Management

Continue to solve key business problems as you're building product. Marketing is important and should have a bigger role in the org in building the business.

"Don't bother... Earlier review was right... Gone are the good old days"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

cool people, free lunch and snacks, great company if you just want to come in and work and get out at 5,

Cons

Many of those people are leaving, lunch and snacks aren't good, dinner is leftovers from twitters lunch, high turnover, no culture, disorganization, all went downhill ever since they won best place to work, management is clueless right now on how to run the company, company is just focused on recruiting and not retaining, random RIF is becoming pattern which causes more chaos. Not a good sign if most of the heads/VPs are voluntarily/involuntarily leaving in the last 12 months, no dogs allowed, corporate office feel, haven't been producing anything meaningful yet

Advice to Management

The company is becoming more and more apparent that it's a bait and switch. Marketed as a company with great perks and culture and a fun workplace only to disappoint with a declining work environment. Hold MTLs accountable or replace them with those who are capable, CEO needs to let go of his inexperienced friends holding VP titles.

"Joining The Marketing Team Not Recommended"

I worked at NerdWallet full-time

Pros

Benefits, compensation and work life balance were all very good, and most importantly coworkers were intelligent, kind and fun, and doing their best to do meaningful work and support each other despite crippling organizational, cultural and political dysfunction

Cons

Poor and ineffective leadership lies at the heart of NerdWallet's dysfunction. The company grew at lightening speed, and management over engineered the org structure into a complex matrix unnecessary for a small company, and then they over hired.

It became impossible for the smart people they hired to do meaningful work. The job was all about navigating political minefields rather than producing and helping the company grow. Due to the complexity of the org structure and a lack of clear ownership, execution moved at a snail's pace.

This was an especially egregious problem on the marketing team due to the marketing leader's lack of experience in both marketing strategy and leading people. The marketing leader doesn't listen to feedback or suggestions from the team, is reactionary rather than strategic, makes irrational decisions that are not in the company's best interest.

If you have a strong background in marketing and want to continue growing and learning as a marketer, or you are a marketer starting out, I would recommend joining a different company. This is not a place to learn or hone your marketing skills.

Advice to Management

- Hire leaders who have expertise, are impact driven, AND know how to set effective strategy and lead and inspire their people to execute
    - Reworking the org structure - the matrix structure is for a huge company not a startup in growth mode

"Rampant favoritism, lack of leadership"

I worked at NerdWallet full-time

Pros

Benefits are great but starting to shrink day by day. Compensation is average, really depends on your department. Work life balance is generally good. Incredibly intelligent and wonderful coworkers.

Cons

If you're looking to just coast and get a paycheck, come on in. If you're looking to really make an impact and grow, the only thing to expect is polishing your office politics skills. Morale is crap because the leadership is increasingly not transparent, product never seems to get anywhere, favoritism is rampant, and overall no one really understands how and why major decisions are made. Additional layoffs are also coming. They're working on the sly to hire a lawyer with experience in handling layoffs. Many of the people currently there are looking for new jobs because they're not sure if they'll be next.
    Now, let's talk about the company's self-proclaimed values.
    1) Consumer, Company, Team, Self. That's funny, all that consumer-first talk has now been replaced by sponsored ad placements . Most of the rank and file employees are going to be some of the most intelligent and wonderful coworkers you'll have, but in the upper echelons of Senior Managers and above, the politics between and within departments is fierce.
    2) Drivers Before Solutions. For a company that emphasizes data-driven decisions, there are a lot of decisions made on false or misinterpreted data.
    3) Candid and Constructive. They'll tell you to be candid and constructive and then fire those who are outspoken enough to do so. See the latest firings and layoffs on the marketing team, where everyone who disagreed and spoke up about the issues was let go.
    4) Hypothesize, Build, Measure, Learn. The company is incredibly inefficient because management gives different teams different goals, leading to a lot of meetings about experimentation but not a lot of progress due to lack of alignment. You literally have to work under the table and purposely avoid the stated processes to get things done and improve the bottom line.
    5) Relentless Self-Improvement. This is an area where leadership should look at themselves. Not everyone who's just risen up with the company has improved and is still qualified for the job. And that is having a major impact on your bottom line. (Also on the employees, but they don't care about the people unless you're besties with management.)

Advice to Management

Morale is crap, be honest with your employees. Hire actual capable leaders and ask yourself if you're still true to your values. Make decisions based on facts and data, not whims and vengeance.

Aug 8, 2017 – NerdWallet

Thank you for your feedback. We continue to offer competitive compensation and work hard to ensure we are investing in our Nerds through a variety of ways, from paid maternity and paternity leave to... More

"Marketing Department"

I worked at NerdWallet full-time

Pros

Good team culture, flexible, innovative attitude

Cons

CMO has no relevant experience and does not listen to the people she hires. CMO plays favorites.

Advice to Management

Let CMO go and hire someone better

"Don’t come for a marketing job"

I worked at NerdWallet full-time

Pros

Nice office with great perks, the usual SF tech startup vibe. People are generally paid competitively.

Cons

Company leadership is a very serious problem, particularly in marketing. Leaders are inexperienced, and favoritism is what gets someone promoted and protected. The company stresses the importance of “test and learn” but it is impossible to get anything done in a place where ownership is overly distributed and unclear. Morale is dramatically low given multiple rounds of layoffs and the firing of the few talented people on the team.

Advice to Management

Hire a real CMO and start over.

Aug 3, 2017 – NerdWallet

Hi there - although we recently made some changes to better focus on our product vision, we are confident in the direction the company is headed. Unfortunately, being a start-up, we are continually... More

"Laid off after only four weeks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NerdWallet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of perks, great benefits, free food

Cons

Absolutely no idea what they really want to do. Everything is vague and there's no clear concept of what is actually going on...oh and be careful to not get laid off because no matter how often they told me my job was secure, I still lost it in four weeks to no fault of my own.

Advice to Management

Get. It. Together.

Aug 22, 2017 – NerdWallet

Unfortunately, the team did not anticipate the necessary changes we had to make as an organization; this was a hard lesson we learned as a company navigating toward our new consumer product... More

"Great group"

I worked at NerdWallet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a startup environment that's extremely empowering. There's lots to do and your contributions on how to do it are encouraged no matter what level you are at. You learn a lot, and failure is embraced as a way to learn and do better.

Cons

Not many, the benefits are great.

Advice to Management

There's too many levels and layers in this very young org already. Job titles are proliferating, reviews are too frequent and time-consuming.

Jul 12, 2017 – NerdWallet

Thanks for providing us with this feedback! We are so happy to hear you felt encouraged to do your best work during your time as a Nerd. We strongly encourage our Nerds to take risks and embrace... More

"Sales Development Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NerdWallet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice Environment
    Friendly employees
    Good food
    Flexible schedule

Cons

Stability
    Communication
    Structure
    Goals

Advice to Management

Communication is key- you need to communicate better with all employees

Aug 4, 2017 – NerdWallet

Hi there - we appreciate you leaving us this review! Agreed, communication is so important in an organization. With a lot of moving pieces, we always try to remain as transparent as possible with... More