NerdWallet Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
NerdWallet CEO Tim Chen
Tim Chen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Lastly work life balance is unmatchable (in 14 reviews)

• The perks are amazing too, from catered lunches to bootcamp classes to weekly happy hours (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • 3 rounds of layoffs in 8 months (in 8 reviews)

• Some growing pains, but using them as learning opportunities (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Challenging Job with Comfortable Work Environment"

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Perks/Benefits. The company has great perks and benefits. From free breakfast and lunch daily, to cell phone and gym stipends, to 100% paid for medical coverage, NerdWallet definitely takes care of its employees.
    -People. NerdWallet is filled with friendly, driven, and intelligent people that make my time at work much more enjoyable.
    -Mission. Everyone is really passionate and believes in our mission of helping consumers both understand their financial lives better and helping them solve their financial problems. It's great to work at a company where I feel I am actually making people's lives better.
    -Flexibility. We have a policy of unlimited PTO and I feel that it is something that I can actually use. I've been at NW close to 2 years and have taken several trips over that time span. While your ability to take time off will vary slightly from manager to manager, in general, I've found the management team is very understanding that people have lives outside of work.

Cons

-As the company has continued to grow, I've felt that there has been more unnecessary bureaucracy and processes added in, which just makes things take longer to complete in general.
    -Detailed product roadmap could be more widely shared. Unless you are working on a product team, details are sparse when it comes to the exact products we are working on building.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! In general, the Management team is a group of down to earth people who are driven, passionate about our mission, and most importantly, really CARE about the employees.

NerdWallet Response

Jun 8, 2017 – NerdWallet

Thanks for leaving us this review! We truly care about the health and happiness of our employees, and are proud to be able to provide them with amazing perks and benefits. We're constantly faced... More

2. "Accounting"

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time

Pros

Onsite Barista with great coffee options

Cons

None yet, i just signed my offer letter

"Not what I expected"

I worked at NerdWallet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great perks (unlimited PTO, free lunch, good benefits, great work life balance)

Cons

-Multiple rounds of layoffs have made it seem like they don't want to be there or are looking for their next roles. The atmosphere is also really cliquey, people don't really go outside of their comfort zones to talk to people not on their team. Lots of politics in play.
    - They talk a lot about being transparent, but I never got that sense. They let rumors go on and on all over blind and within the company and waited days before the layoffs, making everyone feel like they were on the chopping block.
    - Multiple people talk about certain leaders that are only there because they are friends with the CEO. It's almost a known thing that isn't dealt with

Advice to Management

The company culture seems to really struggle and you should make it a priority to fix this. The CEO does seem to really care about the mission, but it gets lost when so many people have been treated poorly. Work on gaining the trust back from employees so they can feel secure in their roles.

"CPO questionable"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NerdWallet (More than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Perks and general care
    Operations team was incredible with new events
    Happy hour often
    Full pantry / snacks / meals

Cons

Everything stems to the product leader. I'm not sure if he knows what he is doing. Without a solid product, every vertical at NW is affected.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the funnel-top product leader. Definitely know people from the grape-vine were already hesitant seeing how that person received the job on the first place.

"Content Writer"

Current Employee - Staff Writer in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Staff Writer in Remote, OR

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top notch salary with raises and bonuses based on performance, paid vacation and benefits (too many to list), super-talented and friendly co-workers (no egos!), very flexible hours (remote), and meaningful work that also contributes to the company's bottom line.

Cons

As a startup there certainly have been some growing pains throughout my years here, and at times I've felt a lack of direction/leadership from the top. This is not right company to work for if you don't like frequent change or want to feel secure about your job.

"Don't believe the hatorade"

Current Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- NerdWallet shares many great qualities as other top tech companies: great perks, surrounded by really smart colleagues, healthy work/life balance, good pay, emphasis on results and little bureaucracy, etc
    - Mission-driven company that has really healthy debates about the consumer, and always puts consumer first
    - Meritocratic - still a small enough company where exceptional performance can get noticed and rewarded
    - Really healthy business model (won't elaborate further)

Cons

- Company has largely completed transition from being operational-led to being product-led. Large changes in strategy are always painful for functions de-emphasized in this new operating model

Advice to Management

Don't let haters get you down!

"Top-down leadership revamp needed"

I worked at NerdWallet full-time

Pros

1. People: There is a core group of hard-working, smart, dedicated folks who I will consider life-long friends.
    2. Perks: If you feel like perks really matter, you will find plenty. Healthcare premiums covered by company; plenty of vacation, etc. etc.

Cons

1. Management. Top management at NerdWallet was in over their head from the beginning and it's unfortunate no one was able to force any meaningful change over the years.
    2. Unprofessional treatment. The posts about rampant favoritism are spot on. If you happen to land on a wrong team, it's shocking the level of incompetence you might encounter. In fact, one anonymous person who purports to be part of NerdWallet management on Blind confirmed as much in a recent post that oddly was meant to assure potential candidates there was still some upside left! It's crazy to me that even your managment is like....it's REALLY depends on which team you get...but come work here!
    3. Layoffs. After three rounds of layoffs, it's obviously really hard to feel bullish about the future direction of the company. What's less widely reported in that large groups have left of their own accord as well in reaction to this ongoing uncertainty.

"Shaky year, with another rough year ahead"

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is good, salary is higher than most companies in SF. Depending what team you're on, unlimited PTO can mean up to 4-5 weeks.

Mission-driven company, with a decent ability to take ownership and have impact. Especially if you're willing to play the political game to assert yourself. CEO really does want to do good in the world.

New CFO seems determined to bring back a sense of stability and thoughtfulness to the company.

Cons

- Three rounds of layoffs this year has crashed the company morale. People come in by 10, leave by 5, and generally eat at their desks. Everyone outside of leadership is in survival mode and needs to constantly prove their worth to make sure they're not the next one gone. This makes it really difficult to focus on the mission.

- Leadership seems content to keep telling white lies, like leading employees to believe the org changes will be permanent, that there aren't likely to be more reorgs in the future. This is never true in the tech scene, but it's the flippant attitude of leadership that makes this concerning. In truth, the reorgs were all rash decisions made overnight by a few key people in power.

- Politics are rampant. Everything at NerdWallet is about who you know, who will speak up for you, and who can help protect your position.

- PMs are entirely new and inexperienced. They were shuffled from other parts of the business when the first reorg happened this year. While they are capable and dedicated, there is still a learning curve when the 40 people running a product org are new to the role.

- Super cliquey. If you go to happy hour, you'll see teams drinking with their immediate team members, and ignoring everyone else. Lunch is the same.

- Office tends to look like a war zone. Everyone who is a manager level or higher is in meetings all day, so they're never at their desks. Everyone else seems to be on vacation, in hiding, or maybe interviewing for their next role. Desks are empty on every floor.

Advice to Management

The company culture used to be one of the best in the Bay Area. The mission is awesome, but people aren't going to stick around to help make it happen if the culture is so stressful. Focus on making NerdWallet a good place to work again.

Consider weeding out members of leadership who don't have a strong team vision or strategy, not only ICs.

"Just a mess"

Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NerdWallet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance
    Some people were a pleasure to work with
    Great benefits

Cons

Leadership is awful
    3 rounds of layoffs in 8 months
    Design team is a complete disaster since there is a lack of leadership
    Moral diminished after the first round of layoffs
    Impossible to get projects done because of the amount of pushback given
    Communication between teams is almost no existent

"NW's business model isn't working"

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time

Pros

- phenomenal culture. people are genuinely nice and collaborative
    - great comp and benefits. probably one of the best in the valley
    - great work-life balance

Cons

- highly challenged business model. I have serious doubts about the company's long term success
    - weak leadership. Tim means well, is really smart and humble... but highly inexperienced and surrounded by so-so senior management
    - multiple rounds of layoffs has decimated morale

Advice to Management

- we need to find product market fit asap
    - please improve senior management. no amount of layoffs (of mostly junior folks) is going to fix issues with weak leaders