NerdWallet Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
NerdWallet CEO Tim Chen
Tim Chen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Lastly work life balance is unmatchable" (in 15 reviews)

• "Great benefits with unlimited time off, flexible work schedule, great health benefits" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "3 rounds of layoffs in 8 months" (in 7 reviews)

• "Some growing pains, but using them as learning opportunities" (in 10 reviews)

1. "The Hardest Job You'll Ever Love"

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- One of those rare companies that actually puts consumers first.
    - Excellent compensation.
    - Flexible schedule, ample PTO, and an amazing benefits package.
    - Respectful management. They are genuinely dedicated to preserving your mental health, empowering you to excel at your job and furthering your career.
    - Projects and assignments that truly challenge you. Those who go above and beyond to innovate solutions are recognized and appreciated.

Cons

- If can't handle change this company may not be for you. NW is still very much a startup. We aim at moving targets. Adaptability is a must.
    - Constant self-improvement (i.e. hearing and acting upon feedback) is a must.
    - Not all departments enjoy the same management style. Some have had leadership changes and/or are still experiencing growing pains (keep that in mind when reading the negative reviews here).

Advice to Management

Thank you for creating a company that keeps its mission front and center, and treats employees like the assets they are. Continue to operate in a transparent, consumer-first way and the sky's the limit!

"They take care of you"

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time

Pros

-Mostly autonomous and empowered employees to carry out projects
    -Mostly flexible work-life balance

Cons

-Roadmaps are not defined well and changes frequently mid-project/quarter and it makes it difficult to get things done
    -NerdWallet is very top-heavy with managers bickering over each other for priorities and playing politics

Advice to Management

Empower your managers to make their own decisions and give them the runway to deliver results

"Turning Around"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1 - Awesome business fundamentals. The company is financially sound with profitable year on year revenue growth. 2018 so far has been awesome from what is shared with the employees.
    2 - Dynamic and constantly evolving. Trying to disrupt financial services for consumers is tough. The company is constantly evolving and trying to improve to achieve it's mission and goals.
    3 - Great people. In my career this is the smartest, most highly motivated, and nicest group of people I've worked with.
    4 - Awesome culture. Beyond the typical perks for tech companies in the Bay Area, there's a lot of investment in creating a fun place to work with activities and resource groups.
    5 - CEO is incredibly humble. He'll take feedback from anyone and work on it. He's also a next-level strategic thinker

Cons

1 - 2017 was a hard year. The company made a difficult pivot and made some difficult decisions, like layoffs, to ensure the long-term success of the company. It could have been handled better, but at least those hard decisions were made. People have largely moved past it now that we're getting traction, but there is a large portion of the workforce who haven't gone through something similar before and as a result creates a lot of angst.
    2 - Company is taking on a lot all at once. It's always challenging to find the right balance to focus vs. not missing an opportunity. Seems to be getting better.
    3 - I see lots of comments on Glassdoor about the c-level execs and the management team. They seem to be spending more time working how they can be more effective. There are some issues, but I think they're fairly open to feedback and working on it. Which is better than execs I've worked with elsewhere.

Advice to Management

- We're starting to see things getting better after a rough 2017, don't let up on improving the issues around the company
    - Continue "managing" by driving execution and transparency

"Good experience but lack of career advancement opportunities"

I worked at NerdWallet full-time

Pros

Smart, hard working employees.
    Great work life balance and really good benefits.

Cons

Lack of encouraging leadership.

Advice to Management

Need more direction and paths for advancement for employees.

"A growing product company with large ambitions"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Invested in data and analytics
    * Not just top-down product definition
    * Collaborative
    * Puts money where mouth is for company values (consumer first)

Cons

* Can be scared to take risks
    * Not a great at running meetings / meeting-heavy culture

Advice to Management

Give products their time to be iterated on and improved, rather than placing new bets in different directions all the time.

"Challenging and impactful work, great culture"

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- True to “consumer first” mission
    - Colleagues are passionate about personal finance space, care about consumer/mission
    - Opportunity to make an impact is real. Grab a project and run with it.
    - Perks are great (meals/snacks/drinks/barista, 401k match is A+, unlimited PTO, regular happy hours, frequent team offsites, gym stipend, cellphone stipend, $500 enrichment stipend, etc.)
    - Culture and people are intelligent and driven

Cons

- At times there can be a disconnect between upper management and lower level teams

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers care about your growth. A lot of great learning opportunities. Fun company culture with weekly happy hours, regular team off-sites, themed events and parties. Catered breakfast and lunch, as well as a barista and coffee bar. Great benefits with unlimited time off, flexible work schedule, great health benefits. C level management cares about the employees and growing the company in the right way.

Cons

None, overall a really great place to work!

"Avoid if at all possible"

I worked at NerdWallet full-time

Pros

—There were some lovely and smart colleagues
    —Excellent perks

Cons

—Leadership, full stop. I’ve never before (and not since) experienced so many managers and executives completely in over their heads. I can’t think of another way to describe it.
    —Poor pay. For all the perks, compensation is generally below what you’ll see at other companies.

"Great Company, Perfect Size"

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time

Pros

- You can really make an impact here as NerdWallet is much bigger than a few folks in garage, and much smaller than a messy large, publicly traded company
    - Great mission, if you want to impact personal finance at scale
    - Amazing people, some of the smartest and nicest folks I've worked with

Cons

- We move fast, and that's not for everyone, and that means sometimes we don't get it all right

Advice to Management

- Keep recruiting top talent, some of the recent hires have been a great addition
    - Stay focused, we're doing a lot, watch for whether it is too much

"Challenging transition period but good for those that thrive on ambiguity"

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NerdWallet is still forming so there is a lot of opportunity to shape where it goes and what it can become. If you are a person who likes to dig into ambiguous product, process, and organizational problems and be empowered to propose solutions you can have a lot of impact here.

Cons

Lots of uncertainty about what may or may not work in a brand new product means it can be hard to feel like you're making the right sort of progress.

Advice to Management

Invest in crafting a vision for the product. Even if it's wrong it will help give people a sense of purpose.